Tulane and TCU

I just heard on Sportscenter that Tulane and TCU along with 4 others schools have requested to join the Mountain west. I could have heard it wrong, but I am pretty sure that is what was said.

Steve

It was on the West Coast version of Sportscenter. Not the 10 O'Clock, but the Midnight one. I am going to try to catch one of the repeats (actually I just turned it on, and I think it is somewhat near the time when they said it), we will see. I will post to confirm or correct.

Steve

Yep, I was right, it was included in the majerus bit (Utah is on 3 years probation for a bogus reason IMO)

The mountain west has been contacted by 6 school Tulane, TCU and 4 others.

I don't know what to say about the lack of talk about it, but that is what sportscenter said.

Steve

i was reading the majerus deal yesterday. i thought it was actually kind of humorous. the real joke is the bite of the "probation". it did not include tourney suspension. the probation did not ban t.v. appearances. the probation did not limit scholarships. kind of like dean wormer telling the delta boys they are on double secret probation. if you are going to do something do it. or else just leave it alone.

Intersting stuff. Looks like the dominos may start falling pretty soon. I really wonder who the other 4 schools were. I seriously doubt it, but do you thinnk SLU could be one of them? It would make no sense for us to join a league like that, but stranger things have happened i suppose and it does seem like CUSA is getting ready to make a move...

This is another football move I would think. My guess is the Mountain West wants to get to two divisions and a championship game and hope the Big East confusion will land them in the BCS. They have some decent football teams in BYU & Colorado St. Also all teams in the conference play both football & basketball--I am sure they will want to keep it that way. They will not take a basketball only school.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/200...s/21828553.html

'No Vacancy' sign still posted on Mountain West doorstep

UNR among six schools interested in joining

By STEVE CARP

REVIEW-JOURNAL

To the six schools looking to join the Mountain West Conference, commissioner Craig Thompson has one simple word of advice: patience.

Thompson said the eight-team Mountain West has made no commitment to expand and is no rush to decide whether it will.

"There hasn't been a vote to expand," he said Monday in Las Vegas. "Right now, we have a subcommittee of three people looking into the pros and cons of whether we should even have discussions. We're not going to hear what they have to say until sometime in September.

"We still have four schools without athletic directors and four schools have just hired new presidents. Until we get all of our vacancies filled and everyone on board, there's not going to be any serious expansion talk. If someone wants to be in our league, they'll have to have patience."

Thompson wouldn't say which schools have contacted him, but it is believed UNR, Hawaii, Fresno State, Boise State, Texas Christian and Tulane have expressed interest in joining.

"I think we need to see what happens around the country," Thompson said. "We know the Big East has to expand and they're going to expand at the expense of another Division I-A conference. There'll be some movement in the next 30-60 days, so we're going to follow that closely."

Thompson said if the league opts to expand, it likely won't wait for the NCAA Management Council to decide in April whether the Atlantic Coast Conference can stage a football championship game with fewer than 12 teams. The ACC expanded to 11 by adding Miami and Virginia Tech.

"If we're going to come off (eight members), my guess is it would be before the Management Council decides," Thompson said. "If they say you can have a championship game with 10 or 11 teams, we can always revisit the issue."

But prospective MWC additions might not find it so easy to remain patient because they're facing pressure to make long-term commitments to their current leagues.

UNR athletic director Chris Ault said informal discussions with the Mountain West have been held, but the Western Athletic Conference wants to know the Wolf Pack's athletic intentions.

"Let me put it this way," Ault said. "My immediate concern is with the present. But it's important I have a clear vision of the future."

Nevada legislators and some members of the Board of Regents would like to see UNLV and UNR in the same league, as in the mid-1990s, when both were in the Big West.

Also, Fresno State officials announced the school would no longer accept academic nonqualifiers, hoping to make its standards compatible with the Mountain West. Hawaii is reportedly exploring the feasibility of subsidizing travel for its mainland opponents if it were to be invited to join the MWC.