Drejaj and Ohanon are the keys

I think, for the most part, we know what we will get from the rest of the team. In my opinion this team will go where Drejaj and Ohanon take us. If Drejaj can continue to improve at the same rate he did at the end of last year, he could very well be the best player on this team sometime during this season. He has the heart of a lion, is a terrific defender, and loves to go strong to the hoop. I think the team will begin to look to him when we need to make something happen on the floor.

Ohanon can go either way. If he develops some tenacity to go with his ability he will be a very hard guy to defend. He can shoot the jumper and glide to the hole. He needs to play within himself, and the system, and he can easily average double digits.

I know I may be drinking the kool-aid so to speak, but I think this team will compete to the tune of 10-6 in Conference USA play and have around 18 or 19 wins. I really like our depth.

i do agree that i/o and anthony can do a lot to carrying this team. i/o does things that most 6'10" players dont. that said, he seemed to lack the strength to finish. he would make a fantastic move to put him at the basket but then let some big ogre knock him or his shot off course.

anthony seemed to always be tired at the end of games and my gosh why wouldnt he. the young man was a picture of a whirling dervish (dûrvsh - One that possesses abundant, often frenzied energy). his shot always seemed short, yet he had very good form. i.e. his legs were gone.

so my thoughts on drejaj and ohannon is that mike linn, our weight trainer, is the key to their improvement.

I like Drejaj as a player he brings somethings that every team needs, but if becomes the best player on the team we should get ready to join the Valley.

Maybe I am wrong, but my hope for the team is that his role is that of the super 6th man, providing intensity, speed and a few quick points off the bench.

oh i dont know. i think that anthony could turn into dan dickau or gerry mcnamara. his game is very similar, he has the same size and build. i think you arent giving young mr drejaj enough credit. not every big time guard has to be reese gaines like.

as to drejaj's "all-conference" schedule, it might not be this next year. i would tend to doubt he would improve his consistency offensively that much in one year as well. but again, i dont think it is beyond belief that before his billiken career is over anthony is an all-conference player.

Anthony Drejaj and Izik Ohanon aren't the keys to this year's team. I believe both will come off the bench, though Ohanon has the potential to offer more scoring. Don't get me wrong: both will be an integral part of the rotation and will get plenty of playing time, but they and their play won't make or break the team's success.

The keys to this year's team are Josh Fisher, Brandon Morris, and (maybe) Tom Frericks. Fish is the senior leader guard, Morris is the only true point on the roster, and Frericks will be the anchor inside.

I like Anthony a lot, but I think he was overexposed last year due to our lack of depth. With our increased depth, he will probably see fewer minutes. On the positive side, I think all the minutes he did receive made him a better player, but he did make his share of mistakes along the way - which is not unexpected from a freshman.

I agree, I think Butch is underestimating Drejaj. I think he played very well for a freshman (especially a billiken freshman) and there is no sign that he cannot improve greatly. He showed a large amount of improvement just over the course of the season, imagine what another year or two can do for him. He's got some speed, appears to have a decent shot, he's tough as nails and he can move the ball around. If he stays consistent and works hard, there is no stopping him from being all-conference.

Hey I hope he is all conference at some point in his career.

Will he start for the Bills this season? I am not sure, but I think his minutes will be down compared to last season.

I also think it is more difficult to be a successful (and recognized)hard nosed player when you are guard.

I am not ready yet to set my expectations on him to be an all conference caliber player. I think he can be a great part of the program, yet I will not be dissapointed if he does not garner that recognition.

In CUSA, the Bills have only had 5 players earn All Conference honors: Perry (twice), Jeffers, Love, Hughes, Harris. That is some good company.

That raises an interesting question, because there has only been one season that the Bills have not had an all conference player, 1999. I wonder who the board feels has the best chance of being our next all conference performer?

I need to think about that one for a few minutes.

Hopefully Reggie Bryant. I like Drejaj, but I'm not sure if he's best suited for point guard or two guard. What do you think? I don't envision him as a future all-conference player, but I regard him as someone who will give opponents fits with his hard-nosed play the next three seasons.

I cannot agree with this sentiment. The Bills are a team without one established star. No player on this team has averaged in double figures in a Billiken uniform for a season. To win, the 7 or 8 guys who are in the rotation shall all have to contribute and have big years. Out of that 7 or 8, 2 or 3 are going to have to average in double figures. All are going to have to play intense defense. Also, replacing KB and CB on the defensive end is very important. Neither Drejaj nor Ohanon can do that. The play of Frericks and Ian on both ends of the court shall be vital. Without a defensive presence in the paint, our team is toast regardless of what Drejaj and Ohanon do. We just do not have enough scoring power to overcome soft defense.

Bryant, Drejaj, and Ohanon are the guys who can create their own offense so, in that sense, they may carry an extra load. But I highly doubt any of these three players can carry the team the way Marque did last year. For that reason, it has to be a team effort this year.

I agree with Roy that the Bills strength coach may be the most important single ingredient to the Bills 2003-2004 season. If Ohanon, Drejaj, and J. Johnson show up bigger, stronger, and better conditioned this year, it shall mean a lot to this team on both ends of the court--especially in the case of Izik. Just imagine if that guy possessed the strength to finish in traffic! He has one of the quickest first steps I have seen from a big man at any level.

>Also, replacing KB and CB on the defensive end is very

>important.

Replacing Chris's defense should not be a challenge. Chris too often played defense with his hands on his opponent's back and was weak around the basket. He also was quick to leave his feat to go for a block, which nearly alwasy left him out of position for a rebound. I hope Ian and Tom do not possess similar bad habits.

I agree with the assessment of CB's defense ... virtually nil. There was a huge dropoff from when KB went out. Though I thought KB was the best interior defender that we have had in many years, I would take 25% less defense inside for 25% more offense from the position. If we do not improve our inside scoring ... it will be tougher for our guards to penetrate and score. The fact that we could not score at all last year ...made what Marque did all the more amazing. There were times when he was picked, held, bumped, elbowes, you name it when he was off the ball. Our guards this year will need more room to operate.

I see AD as I see CS ... I just think there makeup is right for coming off the bench. I love there grit, strength, hustle and enthusiasm that they both play with. I don't think it matters who starts. It is how much you play and who plays at the end.

I see our starters initially as BM, RB, IO, or JF depending on big or small, CS and TF.

I would be estatic if by Jan. our starters were BM, RB, IO, JJ, and TF ... that would leave JF, CS, and AB coming off the bench ... That is pretty strong.

Therefore I see JJ as a key this year