Questions (views) from Afar

slu72

Hard to keep up with all that goes on here in the dog days of Billiken hoops nation. Some observations/questions on the weeks comments made by the posters.

Romar: Does anyone think he's cursed when it comes to recruiting? Not a good way to start a rebuilding process: a two year probation. Can't lay it all on Dollar, as that great Missourian once said, "the buck stops here." Could 'Zo's college coaching days be coming to a close?

Mizzery: The situation with Conley does make one wonder how much politics goes on with the NCAA and what their sense of justice is. Mizzery breaks the rules, but because UK and another big time school did they are going to sweep the whole deal under the rug? MightyQuinn is proving to be an artful dodger;the Teflon coach. Are they after Lidell too?

Arena: I sense it is everyone's opinion this is now a done deal and the big $$$$ guys will be announced shortly. True?

Conference realignment: That guy from Cinci really pi**ed me off. Why is Dayton so much more attractive than us? For that matter, why is DePaul held in such high esteem? And, I agree with BRoy, Marshall to the ACC? That would be akin to UMSL joining the Ivy League. The asst AD at Seton Hall is the nephew in law of our neighbors. He's coming in August to play a little golf. I'll try and get some information on what our east coast brethren are thinking. Again, if it were the worst case scenario and we got left out of this proposed BE, what is the best we can come up with. Please don't say the MVC, that is the death knell for Billiken hoops.

2004 recruiting class: If you had to name the three, or is it four, recruits we'll be bringing in who would they be? Bet there will be an unknown foreigner in the class. By the way didn't Meyer verbal to SLU?

The great StLouis area recruiting class of 2003-4, is slowly being whittled away and we don't have anything to show for it. Price to Purdue, Grimes to Mizzery. Ooops, I'm sorry we landed Polk. Would Polk have been in the top five of this year's class?

That's all thanks for any insights on above.

i have never heard missouri was after liddell.

i believe if the big east merger thing (put two conferences together and re-organize into two better jointed conferences) falls apart, that slu will be a major player in trying to salvage the best they can out of c-usa. i do not think the mvc is an option at all.

romar isnt going anywhere. i read the dawgman board occasionally and the serious fans there love lorenzo. i too believe the penalties would have been less had lorenzo fired dollar. and to be honest, i would have fired dollar for what he did and the position he put the program. however, anyone that got to know coach romar knows he is an extremely loyal and good friend to his staff and he would not turn on him like that. lorenzo would have resigned himself before he would have fired dollar imo.

make sure you report back on that golf match. that sounds like an interesting afternoon to me.

"The great StLouis area recruiting class of 2003-4, is slowly being whittled away and we don't have anything to show for it. Price to Purdue, Grimes to Mizzery."

The great St. Louis class of 2004 is great because there is a lot of depth, not because the players are great. Kevin Lisch is the best player in the St. Louis area regardless of class, and he doesn't graduate until 2005.

Only two kids have committed so far and only fans looking through rose-colored glasses thought they was any chance they were coming to SLU. If Brad signs two kids from St. Louis and another from out of state, that will be just about what I expected.

i am beginning to think that brad's last two scholarships are both going to out of town kids. maybe meyer and liddell have conditional offers, but the best of the rest as in shaw, murkey, dentman, etc, dont seem to be in the main focus. that leads me to think we dont know the names of the real recruiting targets.

Actually 3 have committed and we have one of them. Let's not discount Polk just yet. Amazing things are being done in medicine and frequently people return from surgery stronger than before. Before he got hurt I believe Polk was very highly rated a definate top 100 player maybe top 50 ... correct me if I am wrong

"that leads me to think we dont know the names of the real recruiting targets."

I think Brad likes it that way.

I'm a fan of high school basketball so I will always give the board my honest opinion of the local talent. But just because I'm high on a kid - Justin Dentman, Cameron Murkey, etc. - doesn't mean SLU is high on them. The coaching staff has their own evaluation process and they seem to like strong-bodied wings who can shoot and defend - Clarke, Meyer, Lisch -- and frontcourt players over 6'8 who can rebound and score in the post -- Frericks, Vouyoukas. If you're expecting a 6'2 170 lb shooting guard or a 6'7 post player to get a scholarship offer, it probably isn't going to happen.

Yes, If Polk had not been injured, he would be a top twenty or better point guard recruit. You don't see many kids with the quickness and leaping ability that Dwayne posseses. He can also shoot the ball. From what I understand, he should be back to 100% by the end of this year.

i think you are correct as well 3 star as to the physical dimensions and the style of play of a particular player defining brad's taste. no other explanation of why the likes of shaw seem to be held at arms length.

meyer has not verballed to anyone that i am aware of. all indications are that luke has a standing offer from the billikens but he is waiting to see if mike montgomery might send an invite to his party before agreeing to come to brad's.

jd2002, mizzou seems to be recruting every big combo guard in the country. mckinney, gardner, conley will be there next year with crawford supposedly leaning towards there after changing his mind on his michigan commitment. that's a crowded situation there.

• 2 weeks later...

>

> jd2002, mizzou seems to be recruting every big combo guard

>in the country. mckinney, gardner, conley will be there next

>year with crawford supposedly leaning towards there after

>changing his mind on his michigan commitment. that's a

>crowded situation there.

I couldn't agree more. I also have come full circle with Liddell possibly attended SLU. In my opinion SLU would be the perfect fit

for Liddell. He would have the opportunity to compete immediately.

I think he would benefit from an intense coach like Soderberg who

won't accept less than 100% effort from Tommie. He could also con-

tinue to be a role model for his younger brothers.