Report from AAU Championships

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

P Diddy -- Just thank GOD that you're breathing! And, if you had any respect for GOD, that's with a capital "G".

Some of these comments are very uncalled for. Billken-Roy, I accept your apology. P-Diddy as for hearing anything on the streets about recruiting, who cares. The coaches call the house, not run from street to street. Any respectable coaches that is!

If you ever come to any Chaminade games this year, please do come up and introduce yourself.

Yes, this is really Money's mom. My name is Gidget, and that is my real name.

http://www.geocities.com/mrsgidget/money04.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/mrsgidget/Family2000.jpg

SLU was recruiting Monroe Douglass Jr. last season. I know this because I talked with two Billiken assistant coaches about him. The coaches started following him when Chaminade played at DeSmet -- the second meeting of the two teams -- and watched him a couple times after that, at least that I know about.

Monroe has good size for a point guard, with long arms, and can play defense. He's probably still growing and the one thing you have to remember with him is that he has a lot of potential. His jumper looks good -- but it never seems to go down for him. If he keeps working on it, his jumper could be a weapon. As is, he's a point guard with some size, quickness and really good passing ability. If he redshirts his freshman season, he could be a 6-foot-4 point guard by the time he starts playing in college.

If Dwayne Polk didn't get hurt, I think he would have ended up somewhere other than SLU. If Polk doesn't go to SLU, Monroe might have ended up there. One school that was really interested in MD Jr. was Dayton, but after the coaching change I don't think the new regime liked him as much. I know Monroe wants to stay close to home, so I'd guess he ends up in the Missouri Valley Conference somewhere.

- Nate Latsch

Nate,

I always appreciate your support. Anything you have said or written about Money has been positive. Actually, Money has received calls from Wichita State, Evansville, Dayton, Southwest Missouri State, Western Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, and letters of interest from many others.

I try to stay off of these boards, but it is HARD!!

The Eagles lost against Sports Academy by 2 points, so they are out of the Super Showcase, and are preparing to play in Nationals tomorrow. Good Luck Eagles!! Matt Shaw was hurt and Kalen did not play.

i for one truly believe you mrs douglass. i can assure you that nothing would be more dramatic than for your son to follow in the footsteps of his billiken legend father. i for one have nothing but fantastic memories of monroe senior as a billiken. he and roland and anthony saved the program. his son riding into town is the stuff movie scripts are written about.

that said, it is bad timing for him to come to slu right now. not only do we have a proven sophomore in anthony drejaj already there and an incoming junior in brandon morris coming in, an incoming freshman that played some point the last year in darren clark, monroe's high school adversary, dwayne polk already committed and all st louis point guard kevin lisch on the hopeful radar screen for the next year, it is obviously a crowded situation for the forseeable future at point guard.

good luck to "money". i am sure he will make the douglass name and the city of st louis proud wherever he might go to school.

I'm not saying this to put Monroe Douglass Jr. (Money) down. I haven't met the young man or his family, and I haven't seen him play. I'm just saying that just because the coaching staff was evaluating a player doesn't mean they covet that player and would offer him a scholarship.

Personally, I think it would be great to have Money on the Billikens. There's nothing wrong with have two poing guards -- even in the same class. Missouri experienced some of its best success when it got both Melvin Booker and Reggie Smith in the same class. Perhaps Dwayne Polk is the better player between the two, but who knows. Also, the fact that Darren Clarke appears to be developing into a point guard may come into play. Nevertheless, if Money wanted to attend SLU, I'm not sure I would turn him away unless other firm committments were in hand. Even so, the Bills really need either a big and a wing or two wings with their two remaining schollies this year.

Well,

"Mr./Mrs Ahearn" (Butter33)

Mrs. Douglass

"Mr. Roland Gray" (Box and Won)

Will Paul Paradowski show up next?

>good luck to "money". i am sure he will make the douglass

>name and the city of st louis proud wherever he might go to

>school.

Is this the same billiken_roy who said St. Louis is too parochial to show love to players who go away? The same billiken_roy who said he would give Ryan Robertson, LaPhonso Ellis, and Cuonzo Martin the cold shoulder? The above statement seems to be a departure for this guy. The whole reason Rich got his "Roy, you're a bitter man - Thicks" signature was because of this issue. Now we have a kinder, gentler billiken_roy. Yes, indeed, we need to have women post more often!

Rich, you might have to change that sig!

That is very true, I am unsure if there are any females that post on this board (not trying to be sexist, I am just not aware of any) (although my mother does check in on the board occasionally).

But welcome to the board, it is always nice to have a perspective of someone who is on the recruit side of things. The information you have already given us would be a very tough find on any recruiting site, since you don't know if there is a bias on the site or not.

Welcome!

Steve

the difference thicks is that i wont harbor ill feelings to a young man that wanted to come to slu. i will hold it against the players that were courted by the billikens and left to go elsewhere.

now if 4 years from now ex-shocker, monroe douglass is looking for a job and ex-billiken dwayne polk is looking for a job. they have exact qualifications and interviews, polk will get the job. but that has nothing to do with how i feel about the kids right now.

again the difference is who was the pursuer?

i mean no disrespect gidget, but i've seen chaminade play several times. your son is a fine point guard and a tremendous athlete, but it's common knowledge around town that his outside shooting is a glaring weakness. if money had his outside shot down, he could write his own ticket and chaminade would have been playing in the state championship game instead of losing to an average parkway central team in the sectionals. what's going to happen next year is that teams are just going to back off of him until he proves that he can make a shot outside 10 feet. not trying to be mean, but i'm being truthful and objective. i watched big monroe play at slu and enjoyed him immensely, but i know that he would have been in the nba if he had worked on his ball handling. that was his glaring weaknes

last year there was a lot of talk about why blake ahearn was not recruited by slu. it was simple. blake is a great shooter, but he has absolutely no interest or desire to play defense. everybody knows it, including blake's biggest supporters. when the coach running the program stresses defense first and foremost, it should have not been a surprise that the scholly was offered

sorry if i offended you, but my original thoughts stand.

bad boyz for life

Well, I think it is common knowledge...ahem... ahem...that high school aged kids are the best posters and biliken fans. I mean there is no contest. Seriously guys (and gals). ;)

jk

Steve

Mrs. Douglass or can I call you Gidget, I am in the market for a new T-bird but your husband has been kinda hard on price. Can you talk to him for me, I just think he is being unreasonable, I mean the T-birds are just sitting on the lot, no one is buying em but he just won't budge. Thanks

Like I said before, just come up and introduce yourself if you're ever at a Chaminade game. I'm very approachable and so is my husband. You are entitled to your opinion, but please be a little more tasteful about it. Other parents and the players read these boards also.

For the young lady that signed on........"WELCOME"!! This may be a new trend of women posting on the boards and getting the boys to play nicely.

Thanks for all of the nice welcomes guys!!!

:*

I think we believe you are who you say you are ... nevermind some of the sarcastic banter ... such as the suppossed Mr Ahearn gets.

I think it is great to have the input from someone in the know, regarding recruiting. I've never seen Monroe Jr play or did I see Monroe Sr. play. The opinnion seems to be varied as to wether he has the skill to play at SLU. Though I disagree with the notion that it would be better for him not to follow in his Fathers footsteps. I say that yes .. it would be challenging ... but if he has the work ethic he will be loved at SLU. Look at how much everyone loved Troy Robertson, and love Sloan now. Local kids with out a tremendous amount of talent ..but who give you everything they have every time out. ..... Now if he has the talent and has the right work ethic he will be revered in St.Louis. Following in his Dad's footsteps will help to make the Douglasses one of St.Louis first families of Basketball.

Now if SLU is not recruiting him ... I'm sure he will have better opportunities than to walk on at SLU, and should pursue them.

Either way ... I for one would love to have your input on any subject ... whether it is something you have first hand knowledge of ...or just an opinion on the topic