Charlotte Observer on what UNCC is doing

I found this story in the Charlotte Observer. http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...tte/6343530.htm I didn't read all of it, but it looks good.

This is the kind of reporting I'd like to see out of Stu Durando and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. In Stu's defense, I must point out that he e-mailed me on July 14 in response to my July 9 "mass mailing." He wrote: "Thanks for the note. I just returned from two weeks of vacation and prior to that had been working predominantly on Cardinals assignments. Unfortunately, that left little time for SLU/CUSA work during June. Now it's time to play catch-up."

Perhaps he's working on a story on SLU's work similar to the Charlotte Observer story. Unfortunately, I suspect SLU's administration may not be as talkative as Charlotte's.

of this article was that UNCC recognizes the value and importance of a good hoops program. I sometimes wonder if the powers that be at SLU do. It's sad but true that the biggest marketing/public relations tool a college has is it's athletic program. Most people, me included, would be hard pressed to name a school's award winning biogenetics team, or their literary award winners. While academics is the reason for institutes of higher learning, it's their athletic programs that get them noticed by prospective students, alumni, etc. Gonzaga's a prime example of this. Ten years ago who even knew what it was. If asked, most people probably would have guessed a South American dictator or a new kind of taco. I just hope SLU's leaders also see the potential importance of having a solid program.

http://www.enquirer.com/bearcats/2003/07/24/BigEast24.html

Three non-football schools and three football schools will be at the table at the meeting the first week in August. Following is an excerpt from the story I think is pertinent.

>>Big East football presidents and athletic directors met earlier this month and discussed breaking away, without coming to a final decision. The basketball-only athletic directors have held weekly conference calls discussing realignment. August's meeting will be the first time presidents from both sides have gotten together since Miami and Virginia Tech announced their departure from the Big East for the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2004.

"The purpose of the meeting is to talk about the structure of the league," Tranghese said. "Do they want to stay together or go separate ways? I think, eventually, we'll have to bring all 12 schools together (in a meeting)."

The first meeting among the six presidents will serve to formulate a plan that can be presented to all 12 schools.

"It's going to be a negotiation of sorts between the football and basketball schools," said Big East associate commissioner Nick Carparelli.

Tranghese did not say when the 12 schools would meet, but he said a decision on realignment should be made before October.

"This is not going to drag on," Tranghese said. "It's not going to be two weeks, but it's not going to be two months."

However, the actual implementation of a realignment plan, which includes invitations being made and accepted as well as on-site evaluations, might not occur until the winter, Tranghese said. Having the shape of the league or leagues in place by then is necessary, because the Bowl Championship Series renegotiates its next contract in September 2004.

I think the university has expressed quite a commitment to the basketball program with the new arena. What else can we really ask of them. They have been tight lipped about the Conference realignment, but I haven't heard loads of information out of Depaul or Marquette. I am nervous about the realignment, but I doubt Biondi will let a program (Men's Basketball) that he is investing a lot of money into drivel away into insignificance.

Steve

http://www.cincypost.com/2003/07/22/cusa07-22-2003.html

I wouldn't necessarily read the whole column (or whatever it is), but I definitely found this quote from Memphis' football coach interesting.

>>"Obviously I pay attention to it," said Memphis coach Tommy West. "But they don't tell me  what's going to happen.

"I'm a peon in this game."

I bet that's how Coach Brad Soderberg feels about the issue.

It seems to me for a private university to commit to what may be a $70 million arena project in the midst of a deep recession when their endowment has fallen by about 1/3, like private universities all over the country, is one heck of a commitment. What more could we realistically ask for? Hopefully when they go public some of us will step up to the plate to pitch in to whatever extent possible.

I agree with you re: the importance athletics can play in the visibility of a university.

I just can't see SLU investing $70+ M in an arena and not taking the necessary steps to develop a top 50 team. It just doesn't make good business sense.