camp summary

didnt remember if anyone had posted any info about area players at the nike and addias camps. so this is what i found on clark francis' hoop scoop site. keep in mind, this is just clark's ratings, but while i think clark has a built in bias towards the big time programs, especially louisville and kentucky, overall, he typically does a pretty good job of ranking players.

at the nike camp:

he said that polk was the 9th best point guard in camp. price was the 14th best shooting guard, shaw the 20th best power forward. grimes was the 5th best center and the overall 18th best player. hansborough was the 5th best power forward, 22nd best player overall and the 8th best junior overall.

at the addias camp, not a lot of local's there. a few names that might be of interest:

shaun livingston the penny hardaway clone from peoria was the 3rd best overall and the top point guard in camp. brandon rush was ranked 23rd overall and teh 4th best junior. jeremy pargo, a chicago point guard, who i had read once was a possible billiken target, was ranked 45th overall and the 8th best junior.

i think what this tells you is that some of the local talent that wasnt even there, say cameron mulkey or kevin lisch, that we know are as good or better than the likes of xavier price, are worthy recruits. a player doesnt have to be a top 50 player to make a difference. a lot of these rankings are about exposure and being in the right place at the right time.

First off, I think that's great that it looks like Polk is recovering well from his knee. If he ever recaptures his sophomore form, you might be looking at a Marque Perry w/ the point guard skills.

What I want is some perspective. This 8th best, 4th best rankings are helpful, but not complete. How many players are invited to these camps? Are each of the five positions evenly distributed? Is there a source where you can get the names of all of the players?

There were 185 players at Nike Camp according to the roster:

http://www.hoopsfuture.com/aac/2003roster.xls

How many of them are point guards I don't know. Since most high school basketball players are under 6'6, I suspect there are more guards and small forwards than there are power forwards and centers. At 6'6 1/2, I don't think Matt Shaw will ever get a fair shake by recruiting gurus. They think he's a tweener.

rush is being held back academically as he switches schools from his kc private school to the basketball factory school he will now attend in the wilds of north carolina. he now indeed is only a junior academically.

>If he ever recaptures his sophomore form,

>you might be looking at a Marque Perry w/

>the point guard skills.

Polk is a better athlete and shooter than Marque. Marque is bigger and has a better first step and crossover.

what we forget about marque was that he was probably the best leaper on the team before he dislocated his ankle as a freshman. before that injury, marque lived on the rim. he had that kind of athletic ability. that was the only thing you didn't see from him when he came back from that injury. you would have seen him catching alley-oops for dunks had he not gotten hurt.

at their best and most healthy, dwayne is a hell of an athlete, but not close to marque. there is no question, he is a much, much, much, better 3-point shooter. what i like about him is that he can also penetrate. that makes him tougher to guard.

let's pray folks, that he gets back to 100 percent. we will have a hell of a player on our hands.

bad boyz for life

I agree 100% with the idea that if Polk is healthy he will be great for the Bills. We forget that he was an excellent defender, very quick and tough to play against. He can shoot the 3 and he is quick. If we could get Lisch it would be like having Nash and Van Exel--the two point guards who played so well for the Mavs. I think more and more teams will look to play two guards with point guard skills, particularly if one or both can shoot the 3. The pressure that this puts on the defense is significant and they give you defensive quickness that allows pressure up the court and the possibility of steals, etc.

billikan, if our future backcourt is lisch and polk, it will be shorter than what we have now! you risk quite a height differential imo. i am sure they would see time together, but i am betting that polk would play second fiddle to lisch more than the two run as partners. when the opportunity arises that the opponent doesnt have the big guard, then we could always adjust accordingly.

the thought of polk or lisch guarding the likes of garcia from louisville or mason from marquette isnt a pretty matchup.

i would guess that the idea backcourt of the future for brad is either polk or lisch as our point and either clarke or liddell as the second guard.

It would be a tough defensive matchup for us Polk and Lisch but it would also be tough for the other team. I'm sure you've watched Tulsa play. How about 2 guards that quick with a 6-4 to 6-5 three that can all shoot the 3 and them a couple of big strong inside players who can get offensive rebounds and convert them to points.

>

> It would be a tough defensive matchup for us Polk and Lisch

>but it would also be tough for the other team. I'm sure

>you've watched Tulsa play. How about 2 guards that quick

>with a 6-4 to 6-5 three that can all shoot the 3 and them a

>couple of big strong inside players who can get offensive

>rebounds and convert them to points.

Or how about Butler's backcourt that tore us up last year--two small guards who can both shoot and handle the rock. One would prefer size but it would be an interesting option to put out on the court.

slufanskip said,

"How about 2 guards that quick with a 6-4 to 6-5 three that can all shoot the 3 and them a couple of big strong inside players who can get offensive rebounds and convert them to points."

let me know when we get the "couple of big strong inside players who can get offensive rebounds and convert them to points". :-)

seriously, i think your point is that to go small as 6 foot and 5'9" you better have some real athletes and size at the other 3 spots on the floor to compensate for that size. a good example besides tulsa was that uab team last year. they too had two little firefly guards but they always had 3 superb athletes with a little size at the other 3 positions. of course when they ran up against the depth and size of louisville, those two guards didnt stand out as much that game.

If you're only 5'9, you must be an outstanding player to start at the Division 1 level. Kids that small have been fighting an uphill battle their entire basketball career so they're used to rising to the challenge. Over the last 10 years, Tyus Edney, Cordell Henry and Dante Swanson have all been fine players at the D-1 level. Earl Boykins averaged 20 ppg in college despite standing only 5'5. So there are a number of guys Polk can look to for inspiration.

thicks, lisch is what i would call the perfect example of a combo guard. he can be the perfect point guard pass and run the show, or if you want him to score, he can score.

i stood next to him at the slamfest two weeks ago and i would guess he is 6' or 6'1". if he was 6'4", every program in the country would want him guaranteed. personally, i doubt he will grow much more judging by his body makeup. but weirder growth spurts have happened.