Greece "nets" third...other thoughts

I believe Romar could have gotten better players but he went after too many big fish and came up empty. He virtually ignored Midwest talents like Derek Winans (SEMO), Jamar Howard (Wichita St.), Clint Cuffle (Evansville), Jitim Young (Northwestern) and didn't recruit local star Phillip Gilbert at all. It's no accident that these guys led their teams in various statistical categories as underclassmen. They can play.

I am not the biggest Romar lover when it came to his recruiting ability, but is it fair to say that his recruits were 2 or 3rd tier. I am not saying that they didn't turn out that way. But McClain and Edwin were both top 100 recruits on some lists if I recall. Many seemed satisfied with Pulley's ability as a PG for his freshman year (well, when he was on our team). Fisher is a quality player. Would you really want to know what this team would be like without Sloan? He is a 3 playing a 4, and without him doing so we would be a little screwed. We are worried to an extent if Brown's abilities will be replaced. Varner is the only dud, and he was a transfer, and it pretty much looks like he is using basketball for the free education (Mr. 4.0) and how can someone blame him for that?

Hollins was considered to be a very nice pickup if I recall. And McKinney's friend (forgot his name, Kern?) I don't think was considered that shabby.

Romar's legacy would have been much better if Edwin and Pulley stayed. And Hollins decided to come to SLU. Yes he was the bridesmaid too much, and didn't seem to recruit St. Louis well enough (he stuck to his West Coast ties it seemed).

I just don't think it is a fair statement to call Romar's recruits 3rd and 4th tier. When they were still recruits, they were not considered that.

(I am defending Romar to Roy...Boy, I never thought this day would come :) )

Steve

steve i understand what you are trying to convey. but the fact is that even if you want to consider edwin, sloan, pulley as good recruits, they are without a doubt not on the same planet as chuck hayes, jamal sampson, chuck hayes or travis deiner. my guess is that there was talent between the "big fish" and the edwin/sloan type players we got that would have been an improvement.

3-star, i'm with on that one. not recruiting gilbert was a major, major mistake during the romar years. i don't know what he was thinking at the time.

but, also remember, taj gray from wichita was coming to slu to sit out as a prop. jamal tatum of jefferson city helias would have also been a billiken. word on the street was that romar loved him. brad was going to follow through, but he went for morris instead as a point guard. the other good player who would have been here is the kamau (sp), a power forward from a wyoming juco would probably be here as well.

who knows how it would have turned out.

one good move loro did make was hire brad as an assistant. that may have turned out to be his best contribution to the program.

bad boyz for life