Arena Site

I finally got around to read the paper from yesterday and it looks like the City Public Schools are closing the building that some of you have been talking about would be a good place for the new arena. I think if I read the article correctly, the school is called Waring?? If this is true, then Biondi could buy the school property and put the arena there coupled with already owned SLU property. I wonder if Schoemel who is now on the school board would be against this plan since it would now put the arena outside the TIF area.

The grade school site results in two significant problems: (i) this site is not within the TIF District so SLU would be walking away from $10-15 million in TIF money, and (ii) SLU doesn't currently own the site, and it will probably cost $1 million plus to acquire. In addition, Biondi still has his heart set on redeveloping the proposed site in Grand Center.

I really do not have a preference but I know some on the board have commented about this specific area along with the fact that it would not work because of the school being there. Now that the school is being closed, SLU could look to buy it and build there. I thought one of the reasons SLU was looking at not possibly building in the TIF area was that the cost of the land or at least what people were asking for was going to make it too expensive even with the TIF money.