Non-Conf Schedule

>Pull yourself together man.

What prompted this comment 3star? Nothing hysterical in my post. Teams that play in stonger conferences than CUSA can afford a weaker out-of-conference schedule than SLU IMHO. Also, this coming year we no longer have the National / American divisions (just one big happy family in CUSA) which means our conference schedule shall be weaker. I, for one, am not pleased to see the out-of-conference schedule also weaker.

>What prompted this comment 3star? Nothing hysterical in my

>post.

I just thought this statement was a little over the top.

"The deal is, if can't beat the Tenn-Martins of the world, why bother padding the record with cupcake wins as we have no chance of an at-large NCAA bid in any event?"

Teams improve. St. Joe's lost to Pacific early in the season. BYU lost to San Francisco. Those things happen.

I think this schedule is fine. I do wish that Grambling could be replaced w/ SIUC. We have some good Home Games here Zona', Butler, and KSU. The last two of those games should have quite a few opposing fans road tripping or from in town in the audience adding to the attendance figures. Zona' should be a packed house. You have 2 good games to road trip to from Dayton and SMS. Springfield is not a happening town but you could make the trip in a day. We play schools from the Big East, Pac 10, ACC, A10, Big 12 and the flagship school from the Horizon. We play no games out west but do have 2 in the Eastern Part of the US. I wouldn't mind seeing a Mountain West team in there in the future like Utah. Our RPI will be fine as long as we win. Beating Zona' would be awesome as they should be ranked in the top 10, the road games are winnable and I will be dissappointed if we don't beat 2 of the 4. The swing games are Butler, WVU, and KSU. Just need to see how that conf. schedule shakes out.

FRI. 21 EASTERN KENTUCKY - 278

MON. 24 SAVANNAH STATE - 326

SAT. 29 NORTH CAROLINA A&T - 322

December

Wed. 3 at West Virginia / Charleston, W.V. - 97

SAT. 6 ARIZONA - 1

Sat. 13 at Georgia Tech / Atlanta, Ga. - 67

Wed. 17 GRAMBLING - 275

Sat. 20 at SMS / Springfield, Mo. - 117

SAT. 27 BUTLER - 35

Wed. 31 at Dayton / Dayton, Ohio - 20

January

SAT. 3 KANSAS STATE - 118

Our conference will not be as bad as people think. East Carolina, UAB, Houston, DePaul and Charlotte will vastly improve. The top teams will be nearly as good if not better. I would love to play L'Ville and Cincy twice but it is not going to be so terrible, the nascar league will be much better than last year.

I think this game is off campus but if you go you got to stop by the Varsity. It is the world's largest drive in and has great chili dogs it is right by the campus. Fat Matt's Rib Shack is also good so I'm told and it is in the area.

>>What prompted this comment 3star? Nothing hysterical in my

>>post.

>

>I just thought this statement was a little over the top.

>

>"The deal is, if can't beat the Tenn-Martins of the world,

>why bother padding the record with cupcake wins as we have

>no chance of an at-large NCAA bid in any event?"

>

>Teams improve. St. Joe's lost to Pacific early in the

>season. BYU lost to San Francisco. Those things happen.

Possibly could be read that way but not my intent--not saying that if we lose one game to a cupcake it is over. Last year is a good example. But if we have a real fear of playing teams like Tenn-Martin (100-200 RPI) on the premise that we are at risk of losing at home to teams at this level, then we are not good enough for a tourney at-large bid. The way the RPI works, you gain more from losing to a top team then defeating a poor team.

with the rumored friction between spoon and doug while spoon was coach here, i would be surprised unlv would now hire doug to be spoon's boss.

well if they wont come back the next year and expect return games, slu could still schedule other nearby d-1 teams that are a little better than savannah state, etc. my gosh, play murray state, or western illinois, or drake or northern iowa, etc. my point is that there are teams that are willing to come to st louis each year to play the billikens that arent as bad as these gimmees. they are worthless. and the comments about attendance are right on. i would think if the thought is to get local fans interested, north carolina a&t and savannah state arent going to draw the casual sports fan away from fairmont race track or an afternoon abbott and costello movie on wgn.

I like the balance,however the 3 game stretch of West Virginia,Arizona,and @Georgia Tech will be tough,hoping to go at least 1-2 there.

Many teams in the Big East and a lot of Big 12 schools still schedule poorly as well (two years ago the Big 12 was horrible but they have gotten better and the Big East is the worst now). It is "old school" because it was conventional wisdom in the 70's and into the 80's. Some coaches use mathematicians to help them construct schedules now ("new school").

Again though you are missing the point. They will have higher SOS in their conference so scheduling tougher teams outside is not a necessity. It is a necessity if SLU expects a fair chance at post season play. It is not an accident that teams in C-USA usually have one of the toughest non-conference schedule.

Also Central Connecticut went to the tourney for a second year. George Washington is a mid-level A10 team (I am assuming this was a gentle joke). Quinnipiac is not that bad either. UConn plays Quinnipiac, Central, and Sacred Heart because they are in state. As a public school they should do that (Calhoun has been doing that for years playing Yale and Fairfield as well).

I think that we are blowing this out of proportion. Maybe Brad thinks that we need the time to come together as a team and gain some confidence. I don't think beating the 250 ranked team is worse than losing to the 150 ranked team. Last year if we would have beaten UT-Martin and SMS we would probably have been in the tourney. Lets say we didn't play those two games but played 2 250 ranked patsies like this year schedule, do you think the slightly lower rpi would have hurt us worse than the losses did.

We have a new team this year ... losing Marque and Kenny. The team needs to establish confisdence and probably just as important get their individual roles down, and see who comes through and steps up as an offensive force.

Can Reggie fill the void left by Marque?

Has Izik improved his strength and ability to finish when he gets to the basket?

Can Frericks contribute offensively and what kind of D does he play?

Has Sloan continued to improve his offensive game? I think confidence is very important to Chris ... sometimes he seems reluctant to pull the trigger.

This is a very important year for us ... I like he schedule and think that playing the "patsies" may prove to be good. We need to finish higher than 4th in CUSA, and these games may let Brad get the new players more time and more confidence.

Steve,

Since the game is on a Saturday I will probably make the trip to Atlanta. I live in the Asheville area and it is about a 3 hour trip for me to 'Hot' Atlanta.

Also, I regularly go to the Charlotte and ECU game. If you are in Washington, the ECU game would not be a bad trip for you.