DATE OPPONENT SITE TIME

November

WED. 5 ATHLETES IN ACTION (Exh.)

MON. 17 EA SPORTS ALL-STARS (Exh.)

FRI. 21 EASTERN KENTUCKY

MON. 24 SAVANNAH STATE

SAT. 29 NORTH CAROLINA A&T

December

Wed. 3 at West Virginia / Charleston, W.V.

SAT. 6 ARIZONA

Sat. 13 at Georgia Tech / Atlanta, Ga.

Wed. 17 GRAMBLING

Sat. 20 at SMS / Springfield, Mo.

SAT. 27 BUTLER

Wed. 31 at Dayton / Dayton, Ohio

January

SAT. 3 KANSAS STATE

Looking at this schedule, it looks like SLU has 3 "buy-in" games. I would say that the Savannah State, Eastern Kentucky, and North Carolina A&T are those 3 games.

Yes, SLU did have the same number of games like those last year. The difference was that last year they were spread out and also UT-Martin turned out to not be a patsy. Last year's "buy-in" games were UT-Martin, Texas Pan-American, and Grambling State. This season we have those games as our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd games while last year they were our 1st, 5th, and 7th games.

Personally, I would rather play the schedule like this season, because I would rather work out the early kinks against easier teams than against better teams.

Here are the RPIs for the teams for the 2002-03 Season:

FRI. 21 EASTERN KENTUCKY - 278

MON. 24 SAVANNAH STATE - 326

SAT. 29 NORTH CAROLINA A&T - 322

December

Wed. 3 at West Virginia / Charleston, W.V. - 97

SAT. 6 ARIZONA - 1

Sat. 13 at Georgia Tech / Atlanta, Ga. - 67

Wed. 17 GRAMBLING - 275

Sat. 20 at SMS / Springfield, Mo. - 117

SAT. 27 BUTLER - 35

Wed. 31 at Dayton / Dayton, Ohio - 20

January

SAT. 3 KANSAS STATE - 118

We better not blow it in November

the first three games are a joke, but the rest is a nice non-conf schedule. i refuse to believe that scheduling ANY patsy's is needed. there is no reason that those 3 games cant be neighboring teams such as siu, semo, bradley, eastern illinois, etc. i dont want to hear about "tuneups". that is what the two exhibitions are for. they are nothing but record padders. call it what it is.

However, I think it's important to have a few gimme games. For one, you never know when you'll need that 9th or 10th man in conference season due to injury. These games allow the players to gain confidence and success early on. However, I am disappointed that SIUC was dropped from the schedule. Let's hope that is rectified soon.

The official athletic website lists the schedule slightly differently, including Grambling:

2003-04 SAINT LOUIS MEN'S NON-CONFERENCE SCHEDULE

DATE OPPONENT

November

FRI. 21 EASTERN KENTUCKY

MON. 24 SAVANNAH STATE

SAT. 29 NORTH CAROLINA A&T

December

Wed. 3 at West Virginia / Charleston, W.V.

SAT. 6 ARIZONA

Sat. 13 at Georgia Tech / Atlanta, Ga.

Wed. 17 GRAMBLING

Sat. 20 at SMS / Springfield, Mo.

SAT. 27 BUTLER

Wed. 31 at Dayton / Dayton, Ohio

January

SAT. 3 KANSAS STATE

That would make four guarantee games: the first three and the mid-December game against Grambling.

In my opinion, the Billikens would probably have to go 8-3 in those 11 non-conference games to get solid consideration for an at-large NCAA Tournament bid. Right now I see 6-5, though I'm hoping this is the year the Bills get things turned around against SMS.

I may see if I can hop a train down to the Georgia Tech game. It is on a weekend. And the train ride is overnight, and I will be able to get back by Monday for classes (Actually finals).

Just wondering.

Steve

i like the games minus the 4 buy in games a lot. i still fail to see why the buy ins are "needed". if every other team wants to have them, fine, but imo, they do nothing but accomplish false wins. playing the games actually loses rpi points without fail. a close lose in the game with arizona will give us more rpi than the almost for sure blowout of savannah state. and god forbid we actually lose one of the buy in's. imo, the tennessee martin loss probably cost us an ncaa bid last year. substitute a win against a team like bradley or illinois state last year instead of the loss to tennessee martin it probably would have been the bump needed to be in the tourney.

I agree 100% with Roy here. This is a bad schedule and does not show much RPI savvy. 4 games against 250+ teams will kill the RPI. There are plenty of 150-250 teams to play and "gain confidence on". In fact, the schedule shows a lack of confidence in the team (let's go for wins instead of building a good post-season profile). This is really "old-school" thinking that has been out of date for at least 10 years.

And do not forgot that SLU will play a much weaker C-USA schedule this year (Cincy may have a good team this year but we only play them ONCE --the only teams we play twice are Charlotte, Marquette and DePaul).

"hard to get jazzed"

Boy, thats for sure. The other bad thing about this schedule is the lack of incoming teams that would generate excitement around the program. With both the Rams and Blues as competition for the sports fans interest, a schedule with more name recognition would sure help get more butts in the seats.

An aside, rumor has it that Woolard is a finalist (0f five) for the AD job at Vegas.

The team couldn't even beat Tenn-Martin at that point, what makes you think they would've beat Bradley or Illinois State last Nov?

They have a lot of new faces. Having a few games where Brad can experiment with rotations and the guys can gain a little confidence seems like a good idea, because it gets real tough as soon as December hits.

>The team couldn't even beat Tenn-Martin at that point, what

>makes you think they would've beat Bradley or Illinois State

>last Nov?

The deal is, if can't beat the Tenn-Martins of the world, why bother padding the record with cupcake wins as we have no chance of an at-large NCAA bid in any event? It just waters down the RPI to rely on cupcakes to pad the record--RPI in king, wins against 200+ RPI teams means nothing (even a win against a team like this damages your overall RPI). I'm with BRoy, I don't like the weak end of our schedule.

But all "patsies" are not created equal. You seem to include Tenn-Martin as a patsie (I would not) but they finished 100 RPI points ahead of NC A&T and Savannah St.

4 250+ RPI teams is a mistake, but the rest of the non-conference schedule is fine RPI wise. SLU needed to strengthen its non-conf schedule to counteract the weakening of its conference schedule. This schedule means adding an unnecessary burden to SLU's post-season chances. I think we all would agree we want SLU to overcome that burden.

Take Mizzery for example. Last year they scheduled:

American U

Austin Peay

Sacramento State

Centenary

Or look at Syracuse:

Colgate

Cornell

NC Greensboro

Albany NY

Canisius

Binghamton

with an average RPI of 252

Rather than old school this is very common.

I do agree that it would have been nice to have SIU on the schedule.

I would rather have games against SIU, Bradley, SEMO, etc than those 4 "record padders" but SIU, Bradley, etc would want us to travel to their home the next year. These 4 games are record padders, but also and probably more importantly, they will always be home games. Home games where SLU will make money on the game even if it is a bad team. Every team needs these type of games to help out their budget--a kind of neccessary evil.