NY Times story re: Big East/CUSA merger

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/09/sports/n.../09bigeast.html

The New York Times

July 9, 2003

Conferences Consider Merits of Realignment

By VIV BERNSTEIN

Presidents of Conference USA universities will hold a conference call today to discuss a plan and a timetable for future realignment. The call comes as universities prepare for a trickle-down impact of the Atlantic Coast Conference's decision last month to expand by adding Big East members Miami and Virginia Tech.

A person with first-hand knowledge of the potential Conference USA realignment said it is possible the Big East members that play football could merge with several Conference USA members that also play football to form a new conference. Some Big East colleges that play basketball but do not field football teams would then merge with Conference USA basketball colleges to form another conference.

Miami and Virginia Tech are expected to begin playing in the A.C.C. in 2004-5, giving that conference 11 members.

With the Big East needing to add two colleges after those defections, and the A.C.C. still in the hunt to add one more team, the Conference USA commissioner, Britton Banowsky, knows his colleges are now in play.

"I've had a series of meetings and regular teleconferences with Mike Tranghese," Banowsky said in a phone interview, referring to the Big East commissioner. "We both have agreed we won't work against each other's purposes.

"First and foremost, both the Big East and Conference USA have to do a little internal work on what we want to be going forward. My job is to fight hard to protect the interest of our conference and the collective interest of our institutions."

Without Miami and Virginia Tech, the Big East has six football colleges: Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers, West Virginia, Pittsburgh and Temple, with Connecticut expected to join in 2005 and Temple leaving the conference. Basketball-only colleges in the Big East include St. John's, Seton Hall, Notre Dame, Notre Dame and Georgetown. Notre Dame's football program operates as an independent.

Conference USA football colleges include Louisville, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Texas Christian, Southern Mississippi, Alabama-Birmingham, Houston, Memphis, Tulane and Army; the basketball-only colleges are DePaul, Marquette, St. Louis, North Carolina-Charlotte and South Florida.

Tranghese said there are numerous realignment possibilities at this early stage of the discussion. "I'm in the process of trying to talk to our presidents and A.D.'s," Tranghese said. "They want us to lay out every conceivable scenario. They're going to want a chance to react to it all. A lot of people want us to jump into the fray and make a decision tomorrow. It's too complicated an issue."

Further complicating matters is the A.C.C.'s pursuit of a 12th member, which would guarantee it an annual football championship game. That addition could come as early as next year.

"It was our clear intent to go to 12 schools," Florida State Athletic Director Dave Hart said. "I'm not sure that has changed."

Although a number of colleges are rumored to be in the running, Notre Dame would be the prime target.

The continuing realignments could affect the future restructuring of the Bowl Championship Series format, Hart said, and he suggested that a conference affiliation might be in Notre Dame's best interest.

"We talked to Notre Dame 18 months to two years ago," Hart said. "Quite candidly, they articulated that they are very satisfied with their position. The landscape has shifted and I would think they would want to reassess their long-term future and if that is the case, I hope the A.C.C. would be in conversation with them."

Thanks for posting this. A confirmation of sorts to some of the rumors floating about. Now, we must hope that SLU can survive the basketball merger plan.

With regard to Notre Dame football, I really don't see how the landscape has changed for them. They remain in the driver's seat with a pot of revenue they don't have to share with anyone. People watch the Irish whether it's their loyal followers or those who wish to see them lose. Either way, it's money in the bank. Also, why would the Irish joing the ACC over the Big 10? I would think the academic reputation of the Big 10 would better suit the Irish.

Who knows how the dust (er rather money) will settle.

I thought South Florida had football.

The last half of the article is a rehash of previous quotes and news. Hopefully, the first half of the article is an accurate reflection of current negotiations.

I really like this set up. It seems like a win win situation for both conferences. Both C-USA and the BE get to retain all of there teams and add a few top opponents. One thing I'm not clear on is how the division will work. Will it be called the Big East with say an east and west division? Does the C-USA name get thrown out? The name really doesn't matter IMO, i'm just curious.

Frankly nothing new here that we haven't heard before but backed up with some quotes from the commishes.

Someone mentioned how Notre Dame doesn't need to share its pot with anyone and I still agree with that. Coupled with the fact that their schedule would, under this scenario, mean Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech almost every year. I can't see them dropping the "traditionals" on their schedule like Michigan, Michigan State, USC, lately Nebraska, and even the long-standing traditions with the service academies that are, honestly, woefully underequipped to play these guys eyar in and year out.

Notre Dame's real or perceived notoriety as the "national" insitution still means it doesn't need a conference for football.

Again ..... pure speculation ... take out its quotes and you have that Gordo rehash from the Post a few weeks back. Nothing new here that we haven't heard before. Make it happen and then we'll see.

I don't dispute the ACC's academic status, particularly schools such as Duke and UNC. Neverthless, it seems when football conferences are discussed, in terms of academic prowess, the Big Ten is lauded as being at or close to the top. Given South Bend's proximity to the Big Ten schools, as opposed to ACC schools, it just seems more natural for the Irish to pursue a position within the Big Ten rather than the ACC (money being equal). Again, though, my main point is that I don't see where things have changed to the point where the Irish should revisit joining a conference in football. So long as they have a TV contract and name schools willing to play them, they seemingly have little, if anything, to gain from joining a conference. They are in an enviable position of power. Again, it's all about bucks and they command big bucks.

The Jeff Gordon story was indeed mere personal speculaltion. Today's story is news and reveals the involvement of the Conference USA and Big East commissioners. There have been talks between the Big East and C-USA, and today C-USA will have a conference call. It's more than speculation.

NBC ... the Notredame Broadcasting Company. All theirs with one share ... to Touchdown Jesus! You'd ahve to really sweeten the pot for these guys to give that up .... and if they do that, I for one don't believe that's very fair.

We can debate if you want but until all these shakedown, aftershocks happen, its all speculation to me. I seem to recall broy mention this very scenario ... what roy .... about a year or more back? I think then the talk was centered a little more with Louisville getting some top billing back then.

I admit to getting tired with all the "what if ..." drills, both in this arena and especially where I work. I prefer people talk to me in the reality of the event .... that doesn't dismiss you from being a boy scout and being prepared, but I hate to waste a lot fo energy over ten "what ifs" when only one of them turns into the reality of it all. This is more so probably a knock on my makeup more than anyone elses. Therefore, I dump this article in ther with Gordo's. It says nothing new other than confirming with quotes what we know or speculate to be true. Cloak-and-dagger. Backroom wheeling and dealing.

I think someone somewhere has some sort of diagram that put this personality of mine into some definition. But really, I don't care ... make those damn chips fall ...... somewhere .... anywhere ....

I agree with you that it will be more interesting to see what actually happens than what people around the country have been speculating for many months now.

However, the news of "talks" between Conference USA and the Big East and the rhetoric that they will seek the best interests of their respective conference members, probably resulting in some type of merger between the conferences (with the Mountain West, WAC, and MAC also involved) has me salivating (so long as SLU isn't shipped off to the MAC!).

All I'm saying is that this is more than just some East Coast columnist's speculation; it's what the involved schools are discussing.

It's like the difference between your kids' saying, "we really would love to go to Disney World this summer," and you and your wife making hotel reservations in Orlando and setting aside money and vacation time.

i have said for a few years actually that this was coming. it all came to light when our own conference starting adding teams, any teams, as long as they had football to get to that magical number of the bcs. i reasoned, well surely these other conferences realize this as well. and from that it was easy to see that a domino game would someday start to play out. the interesting questions still out there imo is the big ten being stuck on 11 and the acc now at 11. why would the two strongest conferences in america stop at 11 and miss out on this jackpot?

my guess is that the notre dame bidding war will soon begin if it hasnt already between the two conferences. and then the loser will still go steal one more team somewhere else. so in all likelihood, there is a second round of dominos yet to play even after cusa and the big east make their deal. i am guessing and hoping that notre dame ends up a big 10er, and then the acc chases maybe south carolina or some other sec team. therefore leaving us out of the future shockwaves.

taj is going to disney world? great trip taj. one of my favorite family vacation spots of all time. let us know how it goes!

If I can't ... I'll make one up. I've been in that "disorder" section of humankind for some time now.

No Orlando, roy ... did that a few years ago. Girls want the Caribbean next year. Since the parents returned from last year's Aruba trip.

carribean........wasnt there a michael caine movie where he takes his teenaged daughter to the tropics? blame it on rio? or something like that. you could write a script taj. hell you got all that avis journalism skills, might as well put the writing skills to work.

They began football about 5 years ago and have played Div I for the last 2 years, I think. USF is putting a lot of resources into their football program and wlll probably be a powerhouse in the not too distant future.

The new BCS is going to be much tougher on teams that are not in a conference. Notre Dame may be the one with the network backing and all the dollars but there are alot of schools and conferences who can set policy and who want in on a peice of the south bend pie. I think they will turn the screws on Notre Dame and make them join a conference or shut them out of the BCS.