Local media coverage of SLU/BE-CUSA merger

I'm wondering why the New York Times, Charlotte Observer, and New Orleans Times-Picayune (among others, probably) have picked up on the merger talks and today's C-USA conference call, but the latest thing the Post-Dispatch has about the issue is Jeff Gordon's suggestion that SLU might have to go to a mid-major conference.

Here is the text of an e-letter I sent to Jeff Gordon:

>>Dear Jeff Gordon:

I'm somewhat concerned that you and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch have not picked up on the news coming out of the New York Times that Conference USA and the Big East are discussing a merger that would have the Big East non-football schools joining the C-USA non-football schools in a conference and that there will be a Conference USA conference call today.

Your recent column wondering what will happen to Saint Louis University as a result of ACC expansion paints a rather dark picture. I find it a concern that there's a much brighter possibility staring us in the face but the Post-Dispatch has not shown that side to its readership. Does the Post stand to benefit only in SLU's worst-case scenario?

Terrance Hicks

Let's see what happens.

Brian Burwell wrote a pretty decent article less then a week ago that was very positive about possible realignment for SLU. I'm not sure why it isn't on the SLU online part of the post right now but it was there last week.