Goodbye......

With respect Too Steve's hard work and everyone who has posted through the long hard trying times of Billiken Basketball these past years - your diverse opinions have been Trooly appreciated, keeping an objective perspective will be the point of success for our Billikens. For the Last Time, Godspeed and - SO IT GOES .........

Sorry to see you go. You give voice to a point of view that is rather unique on this board. It adds to the conversation and that indeed is important, for when the conversation ceases learning diminishes. Please come join us again if the mood ever moves you.

Goodbye right back at you Joe Fluegel ..... and have no fear, we WILL figure out who you are on your inevitable return .... no matter the chenge in the handle. Who do you think you're fooling?

So our masked marauder is riding off into the sunset once again? Is he taking any of his sidekicks with him, like AJ Arete, MUTgr? Is anyone suspicious he has changed his moniker to Butter 33? My guess is this hiatus/sabatical he's taking was caused when Mom caught him in the basement looking at no-no's on the internet. Just a guess. Gee we're really going to miss his keen insights into college hoops. My top two Too posts were:

When he threatened A-Bomb with the cyber police, and

When he reported direct from a sky box at Busch that Brian Gregory was a done deal for SLU.

I'm sure more of you guys who read him regularly have many more...many more.

Hasta La Vista, Ciao baby, Aurevoire, Sayanora, we're really going to miss you.

i think the brian gregory report was the best.

the recent too blurb that the billikens recruitment of joel shelton had removed any chance the billikens had to get kevin lisch was pretty good too.

a-bomb, how long were you put away by the cyber police anyway?

i tend to agree with taj, he will re-invent himself as a new poster.

tri seemed to enjoy his billiken lashings far too much to just walk away. but if correct and he has banished himself to a lifetime ban of billikens.com, life will go on.

maybe he has decided to make his cyberlife work chasing down lorenzo romar and will now surface on the washington messageboard.

btw, did you all see that lorenzo again finished second in his two top recruiting choicesagain by losing josh heyfeldt to gonzaga and marvin williams to north carolina. couple that with losing the stewart twins last year to usc, and the numerous near misses he had at slu, lorenzo seems committed to trying to set the record for finishing as the bridesmaid and never the bride to more big time recruits than anyone in the history of college basketball.

I did see a note on the Williams kid, believe it, or not, in the St. Petersburg Times of all places. Hurts even more when the kids are from your own backyard as the Williams kid was from Bremerton, WA.

>Someone please educate me but why is Too leaving did someone

>hurt his feelings. What was the final parting blow??

It is like when your 10-year-old daughter runs out the door proclaiming that she is leaving the family for good ... she wants you to run out the door and beg her to come back.

I believe the incident setting off the Too drama departure is the use of his real name in a thread on this board by others. Personally, I can see that he would be offended (even if he uses his real name elsewhere). All have the right to determine when and where to reveal their identities.

This comes back to a similar issue or question I've always asked ...

If you're good enough to go to Program A ... why would you want to stay home and play for Program Z?

In this thread you have North Carolina as A and Washington as Z. The alphabeticals are used to denote prominence, yes. But think about Chris Carrawell, Jahidi White, David Lee, Darius Miles, LaPhonso Ellis, and the Z Program becomes us.

Altho I do like the fact that it was broy pointing out that 'Zo seems to be good at finishing second. I know he likes the guy and there's no fault in that but it is a truthful admission nonetheless.

Our lightening in a bottle may have been the Clagg/Highmark/H years. We didn't keep that momentum. We saved one year with the Legend. We caught a Miracle in Memphis. Throw out those four years and the best we have are a couple of NIT appearances at best. Again, not a successful program in my definitions.

I have no problem with the eval that you just laid out. However, I am reasonably pleased with what I have seen from Coach Sooderberg. Much too early to tell how successful he will be, but I like his work ethic and I believe that he has a system in mind. Time will tell how many, if any, NCAA bids that will translate into.

And make no mistake on my part Schaz .... I am right with you on the Soderberg eval as well. I like his energy and his enthusiasm. I like his credo in defense first. I like the way that he hung tough with the early season adversity and getting the Bills to buy into his system. I will admit that I don't like the old ABC Wide World of Recruited Athletes thing with Israel and Greece but I can allow for the slack.

Again only time will tell but so far so good from this evaluator on the Brad beginnings.

With the exceptions of Fisher, Varner and Sloan, the Romar cupboard was left bare. And you can probably start a good debate on the three mentioned above. But broy's hit on always the bridesmaid appears to be ringing quite true.

Before anyone jumps into the "Bills in NCAA" pool just yet, I again preach caution ..... these guys have never played together as a team just yet. The preseason and the out-of-conference season I expect will be brutal no matter who gets pinned up there. I believe that teams like UT Martin and SMS might give us more trouble than we can reasonably expect. When i consider that Fisher and Sloan are about the best we return with part-times in IO and Drejaj, that's not good ... no matter how well you paint it.

Patience in 03/04 will be my motto. You heard it here in July.

Sorry thicks ... that thread got so long that I dropped it. Now that I've read the whole thing, I can see where you and I are on the same page. Frankly, I'm tired of the whole "crystal ball" gazing that permeates the summer down time. I think its broy in the above thread that talks about Bryant might be the next Cranford, Vouyoukas the next Nondas, and Frericks the next tadysak. Now that is a horro story in the making if true. But broy is looking at the same ball all the others have. The view is just left open to interpretation.

I think its BigMac who predicts our main competition to be Charlotte, UAB, DePaul and Memphis. Overlooking Marquette, Cincy and Louisville is purely ludicrous! And he overlooked all three. That's balls in my book .... the three most successful programs in the conference. One school (UC) which is a "relock and reload" school at any time. Wow! Guts there.

But let's say we get to Novbember, and Steve does his usual "pick the record" poll. What do you do? With six newcomers as we've both noted, I think the optimism must be in guarded condition at best.

Sorry I didn't rise to your defense but I'll make a note in another thread. I'm with you .... but all opinions (excepts Joe's) are welcome.

Taj, I am not overlooking Marquette, Cincy and Louisville. I said that I see them near the top of the conference but not as good as last year and that I don't see any of those 3 winning the conference.

Trust me guys, you won't see me jumping off a bridge if the Billikens aren't at or near 20 wins...I am just hoping for the best!

Let me get this straight. Many months (years?) ago, it was pretty much agreed that we were going to ignore T&T. If we fail in this regard, at least let it be because he's made a comment about the basketball team that we feel compelled to challenge. In this case, he has announced with fanfare that he is not going to play anymore--taking his ball and going home, as it were. Perhaps he seeks an apology. Maybe he wants us to beg him to stay. Who really cares? At this point his little boo-hoo memo has genetated a string of 20 messages. This might encourage him. I've always liked the old Westerns where the cowboy rides off into the sunset...