Did any of you catch Erwin Claggett (sp?) on KFNS

MUTGR

what did he say mu? i did not hear it, but by the way you phrased the post, i assume you did and are surprised no one has brought it up.

SLU on his roundtable show tonight.

He and Tuna think it is a good idea for SLU to go to the Missouri Valley. Earl was also on but he was not able to get much in to defend the program. Just as I began to tune in though Bernie was mentioning something about Floyd Irons looking to get a job in the Mo Valley????? I didn't catch all of it though.

Tuna is a non-factor and should be ignored. Sports writers in general are a what-have-you-done-for-me lately bunch, and Bernie is the worst of the worst in that regard. Last year, Bernie stated that SLU should move to the Missouri Valley unless it was willing to spend the money to upgrade its on-campus facilities. I guess that criteria no longer matters in Bernie's mind. Also, have any of these sports writers noticed that the Valley is a conference designed for non-flagship state schools in the MidWest (e.g. SMSU, SIUC, Ill St., etc.)? Admittedly, Creigton doesn't belong in this conference, but neither does SLU. SLU's belongs in a conference with DePaul, Marquette, Dayton, Xavier, etc.

if frankie c isnt on, kfns doesnt even get a fleeting thought from me anymore.

i think it is obvious from the lack of reports, claggett didnt say anything worthy of reporting positive or negative.

Here's the deal. Sorry that I posted and haven't returned, but I spent the holiday weekend drinking moonshine, shooting guns, and riding ATV's in Boone County.

It wasn't earth shattering. He and Ryan Robertson were on with Frank C. Overall he was very positive about his experience at SLU, but in response to Frank's question as to whether he had any regrets about his choice of attending SLU, he said that he felt like he missed out on the total college experience at SLU, being an urban campus, nonfootball playing, smaller school. He actually said that he felt he only had about 50% of the total college experience. Then Ryan chipped in and said his brother Troy had expressd similar thoughts after hanging out with Ryan at KU during fall football games.

I thought his comments were interesting because when this subject comes up on this board, most here dismiss the idea that a big state school in a more traditional college environment offers any advantages over an urban setting like SLU. I'm not trying to stir anything up, I just thought some of you would be a little miffed at that statement, but apparently no one was listening anyway.

Go ahead and respond with the usual MU jokes here, my timing is bad after the events of the past weekend in Columbia. But, Claggett did not specifically say that he would have had that experience at MU. He did say he was very close to transferring to Iowa State or Northern Iowa after Grawer was fired.

Thanks! Perry was close to leaving when Spoon was fired. I don't find those statements offensive. Before Pinkel, I can't remember a time when Mizzou football added anything positive to the ambience and experience at MU. By the way I hold you in higher esteem than most of your bretheren.

I was a SLU Alum who had season tickets for years to Mizzou football. However, I jumped off after about a year on Woody's Wagon. I enjoyed the experience of going to big time college football games. Back in those days and I started going when Uncle Al was HC, Faurot Field rocked and it was a lot of fun to attend games. I remember games vs ND, Penn State, and Texas where I was darn glad just to have a ticket.

I hope Gary Pinkel will get the football program back to be force in the Big 12. From what I have read about him, I think he has a good chance. I still like to see what the football team is up to, but I don't get to see them much down here in Florida where the Gators, Canes, and Noles rule.

We don't think much of those Gators in our house, as my wife is a Vols Alum, and I have been to Neyland Stadium before. They take their football very seriously at UT, and it's really cool to be in a crowd of over 100K.

I attended several MU football games over the past few years and given that most students at the school never go and if they do they go for a few minutes or leave at half, I am not sure how valuable all that is for the "college experience" I think everyone thinks the grass is always greener but when you get there you find out it is not really any different at all. By the way, I had two kids that went to MU and my son went to the football games but my daughter could care less. While you were riding your ATV this weekend, did you happen to bump into Ricky?

Thanks for your thoughts. I have season tickets to MU football (not basketball), and I hope Gary Pinkel gets things turned around. He is, I believe, a man of substance. I have compared him before to Soderburg in that regard. Neither excited me much at the time they were hired, but when you start to learn about them and how they go about their jobs, you find that they are rock solid people who will put in whatever amount of work is necessary to succeed. Both are more substance than style.

Let's be clear about this. Claggett did not specifically say MU, and I am not trying to say that he would have gotten that experience at MU. When Ryan joked about how bad KU was in football (typically worse than MU), Claggett said at least they had football or something to that effect. I just thought that some of you would have been somewhat upset at his comments. I am not going to try to defend MU's football program. That wasn't my intent.

I was not necessarily meaning for my comments to be soley pointed to MU - however, I can see how you took it that way. All I was trying to say was that big state universities like MU that have football have the same issues as I have seen at MU football. The other issue regarding Claggs comment is that I wish I had gone to FL for college but that does not mean that my experience at SLU was bad or wanting. We just all have to remember that we don't always get what we want but we usually get what we need. Claggs may have been saying that his first choice was IL but since he was not offered he did the next best thing for himself at the time.

I have no doubt that this does hurt schools like SLU.

It is not just attending the football games, it is the atmosphere around campus during football season. Even places where basketball is king, like at Mizzou the best parties are always during the football season, unless Eustachy is in town. Going to SLU you miss out on that, lets face it nobody parties cause the soccer team has a big game.

There are advantages and disadvantages, not many urban schools have a football team. When you are in college station what else is there to do but sit around and wait for a football game. SLU can offer alot more to a student because of its proximity to a major city and all that brings with it.

I don't think you can worry about it, even if SLU had a football team I don't think it could recreate that college town atmosphere that even Mizzou has because of its setting.

I do not think what Claggs said is at all offensive. How many college students have the "full college experience" probably less than half. I would think that SLU though is now almost a diffenrent campus than what clags had when he was there. But again there is no football team however now the soccer games are on campus I think he was gone before that happened.

However, Mutgr as a member of the unwelcoming committee I would be remiss without making you feel uncomfortable about expressing and independent thought, that does not further the cause of Billiken basketball. Get this crap off this board :)(just kidding)

as rich stated, mu, your stance on clemons and his now oft incidents alone makes you far more credible than any other tiger faithful (thicks you dont count as a tiger fan). i too respect your thoughts a hell of a lot more than the other hit and run hecklers that drop by occasionally.

mu, i think the typical hardcore billiken fan pretty much ignores college football. thus any kind of college football reference goes in and comes out very quickly with little if any rebuttal. i know i couldnt name 4 college football players right now if asked.

i have been nothing but impressed whenever i hear pinkel speak on tv or radio. he appears to be made of the stuff college coaches are supposed to be made of imo.

Just think everyone in Seattle thought Hedges was hiring him when she pulled her fast one and hired Slick Rick New Weasel instead. Pinkel is not only a UW Alum but had coached on Don James staff.

I don't know Roy, I count myself both a died in the wool Billiken basketball fan and someone who is equally passionate about college football. Of course, I have a UT Vol Alum at home, so it is easy to have a fondness for their very successful football program. We went absolutely berserk the night that the Vols beat FSU for the National Championship. The champagne flowed that night.