Major Arena News

kshoe

In the July 1,2003 Post-Dispatch there was an interesting note in the "letters-to-the-editors" section. Kathleen Brady, SLU's Vice-President of Facilities and Civic Affairs wrote the following:

"Since I spent considerable time last week working to acquire properties in Grand Center for the new St. Louis University arena, imagine my surprise at a June 27 (P-D) article reporting that a decision has been made to move the arena project to a location on campus."

"Let me set the record straight. We are continuing to acquire the needed properties in Grand Center to build our new arena. We are only exploring other possible sities because of exaggerated prices being requested by some property owners in the preferred location of Grand Center. No final decision has been made on a location for the arena."

"This arena is a significant project for the university and for the St. Louis community. The university asks only that the facts surrounding the projects be reported accurately."

As I said last week that article may have been a ploy to get property prices down. The grand center location across from the Compton garage would be my prefered location. This is close enough for students but also allows for the development of bars and restraunts. Parking would be less of a problem because of the grand center lots. I also believe there are some limitations to useing the green space near Compom Ave. If memory serves part of that land was given for Harris Stowes use.

I was kind of surprised we ran that letter, since we'd corrected the original article the day after it ran:

"St. Louis University is now considering building its new arena on campus because of higher-than-anticipated costs to buy land in the Grand Center arts district. The university has yet to make an official decision. This story and in Friday's Metro section implied that a decision had been made."

Nonetheless, I suppose belt-and-suspenders is the best policy for getting a correction made. Kudos, by the way, to the poster who correctly surmised in a previous thread that this "news" was merely a little jawboning to try to keep speculators from asking land prices as if the arena were already built.

Does anyone know if the location on campus or at the Grand Center location makes any difference in the issue of alcohol sales for the BiondiDome? That difference could make a big difference in cash flow for the facility, as well as ticket sales. I'm sure there are some (not many) who feel attending a sporting event without a frosty one is not desirable.

I'm sure if we can convince A-B to donate some of the money or purchase the naming rights, beer sales will be part of the equation. And that's a good thing since beer has helped me make it through many a Billiken basketball game.

i dont know why anything per slu would prohibit alcohol sales. i drank a few budweisers at the pub at the busch center in my student days.

There was a recent article on the arena in the West End Word, a community newspaper that serves my neighborhood, the Central West End. It profiled a man who recently purchased a firehouse on Locust that has been renovated into a very nice living space and just happens to be in the way of our new arena. Apparently, he is talking with the university about moving the firehouse to another location instead of having it demolished. Definitely not a cheap option, but it's nice to hear about SLU working to accomodate people who have made an investment in the neighborhood.

actually rich, women's basketball improves by leaps and bounds each year. i can almost guarantee you that you wont find any men's team in all of college basketball a fundamentally sound as most women's team. i agree you wont see the rim rattling dunks and 10th row blocked shot's, but otherwise, it isnt all that bad. i take in 4-5 jilliken games a year and would probably go to more if my schedule allowed. not saying i'd give up the men's game for it, but it isnt the cup of vinegar you might think it is.

I find your "Diener Free" logo annoying. I find it difficult to lay any disappointments in Billiken Basketball at his feet. He stayed the course and played and practiced hard, and graduated. He won us a few games. Had we not lost at MU in the final seconds, he would have been a hero of that game. He was very heady with the ball, and was usually in there at crunch time because he was court savvy. Not everyone makes the most of his talent, but I think Drew came pretty close. Surely there are better targets for your disappointment in life.

I've been to see the Lady Bills and they're playing hard and well but I'm still a sexist pig Roy. I just can't go out of my way to see a substandard game. I'm all for the ladys playing ball but let them compete to play the real game. Equality can only be acheived in that way. If they can't play with the boys I don't have much time for them. Bring on baby Shaq(ita)!

Deiner was in at the end of the games because we were often down by large margins and if a play could be develope to spring him WIDE open he could often drain a three. He was a very limited player on offense and defense. If he didn't dissappoint you, your standards can't be very high. Good riddence.

Unca S - I agree - I find it annoying and disappointing that he has made it a personal thing. It is fine to be objective in your assessment of a player's performance but why keep hammering away at it in such a negative manner - it accomplishes nothing. All Diener did was come to a school that the coach sold him on. If you are unhappy about that then say "free of Spoon".

I agree. I wasn't a big Diener fan and wish we had somebody more athletic....but we didn't. Drew played hard and represented the school well. IMO he did not help the team very much last year, but he does not deserve this kind of disrespect from Billiken fans. He's gone now and you will never have to watch him play another ball game in your life. Give it a rest...

Sorry you feel that way. For me, watching that kid for the last four years was a painful experience. In my mind, Diener will always be associated with the wasted days of Lorenzo Romar's tenure at SLU (and yes, I know that Spoon recruited him). I'm hoping we've upgraded the talent level on this team and have a good feeling about the future prospects of Brad and the Diener-free Billikens.

And besides, I wrote my signature as a joke. Lighten up.

Are you not the least bit concerned that DD or his family might read this board?

I don't know what you do for a living but what if someone were to watch your every move in your place of employment for a year and scrutinize you in a public forum such as this?

This is basketball guys...And remember they are students before they are basketball players.

Drew's sister might read the board. Tough. He got a five year free ride at one of the best universities in the midwest. I didn't go to SLU but I have to believe a Jesuit institution still forces students to think critically and logically. Given that Drew should know he's dissappointed a good deal of Slu fans already.

By the way, Why isn't anyone concerned about the Tadysac family or the Barantine family? Why doesn't anyone shudder at the thought of calling Frericks a "Heinrich clone."

Sorry to Drew or any other Deiner family members. Drew was a waste of a five year scholarship. So long to spoon's folly if you'd rather.