conference rumor

at cusa-talk.com there is a memphis sportstalk host that posts on the memphis board there all the time. he said that according to his sources, it is very close to a big east/ conference usa merger(s) whereby the two conferences combine, swap appropriate teams and end up with one conference that is bcs qualified and the other for basketball. he says that a lot has to do with the weak teams having to find new homes such as army, houston, tcu tulane and uab. but that in reality this scenario is very close to actually happening.

rumors are just that, but it is all interesting to speculate.

http://www.cusa-talk.com/modules/newbb/vie...=23421&forum=37

that if this does come to pass then 6 big east football school and six CUSA football schools make a twelve team division with championship game , and the ACC would only have eleven..(although I am sure they will add one school soon)

It really Echoes what I thought I was reading between the lines of the CUSA's comissioner's statement.

tulane, houston and uab are all supposedly in bad financial straits. uab and tulane almost completely shut their athletic programs down. they have very little bargaining power based on their own financial statements.

Even though teh ACC has only 11, they will petition the NCAA to change the rules regarding championship games to include conferences with less than 12 teams.

Let's just pray that we are not considered a "weak" team. I know that we aren't. But everyone may not be thinking that. We are lacking a tourney appearance for a while. And we are in the city that is the Gateway to the West with the Big East.

I don't want to preach doom and gloom. But just crossing my fingers.

Steve

I think the "weak" and "strong" here are referring to finances, not competition.

There are a few reasons I think conferences shouldn't consider on-the-field competitiveness when looking at realignment possibilities. First, "good" teams in one sport may be mediocre or worse teams in other sports. Second, how "good" a team is fluctuates over a period of years. Third, every year conferences need a few or a couple of mediocre or below teams in order to get some road wins for their top teams, enabling more teams to get at-large invitations to the NCAA Tournament.

steve, i think when they are considering who is "weak" or not, more goes into that than won-loss record. they want to see the overall athletic program devotion and balance sheet, they probably consider the tv market area, travel accessability, etc. all of which i think slu ranks right up there.