All star game

In a run and gun All Star game to boot. We will find out in the next four years who was the better recruit Ahearn or Clarke. I'm still giving Coach Soderberg the benefit of the doubt here until proven wrong.

when spoon recruited chris braun, the billikens also had baniak, heinrich and tatum in hand.

btw, as a freshman, i believe chris braun led the billikens in rebounding and blocked shots at the miracle in memphis tourney run. from all accounts from saturday nite, it does not sound like bryce is at the level chris braun was as a redshirt freshman.

chris was all-state his senior season in high school and was capable of giving quality minutes from day one. but spoon had the luxury of redshirting chris since he had depth at the inside spots already.

kshoe, I agree that SMS will be a handful next year and beyond. They lose only one significant starter from a 17-12 team that led the MVC in defensive stats. In addition to Ahearn, SMS recruited a 6-4 California juco with a background and stats similar to SLU's Justin Love. It will be interesting to see the minutes Ahearn earns next season.

>>when spoon recruited chris braun, the billikens also had baniak, heinrich and tatum in hand.

btw, as a freshman, i believe chris braun led the billikens in rebounding and blocked shots at the miracle in memphis tourney run. from all accounts from saturday nite, it does not sound like bryce is at the level chris braun was as a redshirt freshman. <<

First of all, Braun redshirted his true freshman year so that statement is misleading. Also, even when he was a red-shirt freshman he contributed very little for the bulk of that season. I wish I had the minutes available but I am certain he averaged small minutes for the season.

Tatum was inelible when he was came in due to taking the ACT orally on account of a learning disability. When Braun was recruited, no one really knew what was going to happen with Tatum's eligibility. In fact, at the time Spoon red-shirted Braun, I don't believe Tatum was eligible. In the '98-'99 season, his second year after being inelible the entire first season, I believe Tatum did not become eligible until after the end of the first semester (and Braun had already been red-shirted in the fall). As I recall, Tatum had a lot of rust to work off when he first stepped onto the court in a Billiken uniform. The point being that we were thin in the front court when Braun was red-shirted. I remember Braun as rail thin in '98-'99 (the red-shirt year)--6'10", 210, somewhere in that range.