Rammer

cheeseman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd listen if I could ever get it, and 1190 comes in much better. They may be number one, but that is not saying much.

Anyway, the battle isn't over the hard liners folks. Hard core fans are into the Rams/Blues not college hoops in this town. The battle for fans is for the guys and gals that don't listen to sports radio. This is why they use Guy Phillips (an enormous ________ mistake in my opinion, but it is why he is used)

I did not mean to say that I think Mike Kelly is the greatest announcer - my point is using him as an example was to show that he is supportive of the Tiger program when he makes public comments. You can be a good announcer and also supportive - Mike might lack something is some people's opinion as an announcer but no one can ever say he is not publically supportive of their program.

I agree that Rammer sometimes takes the role of the objective fan and offends Billiken fans. I also think that his connection with SLU needs to be a two-way street. SLU needs to involve him more as a PR person. He should have been the MC at last week's unveiling of the new arena project; they need to have him front-and center at most SLU athletic functions. Then he will begin to become SLU's Mike Kelly. Is Rammer employed by SLU? He should be. If not, it is once again a huge faux pas on the part of the antiquated/backward policies of the athletic department at SLU.

Shannon is supportive of the team - he may castigate a player but the comments about the team are supportive. I do not have a problem if the announcer says we simply are not rebounding well enough or we are having trouble driving in runs with less than two outs and a runner on third - that is their job. What gets me is when announcer then goes on other public forums and rips or belittles the team.

>>however when he made his "worst billiken team in 20 years" comment last year, <<

I regret every bringing that up in the first place. The man made an offhand emotional comment early in the season last year when the team was struggling. And some people here dare to call him disloyal? That is insane. Bob is one of the best PxP men in the business. Period. And one more thing. I hardly think a family man in his middle to late forties, with a wife and two kids is using this job as a "springboard" to further his career elsewhere. Think people. Just a little.

I think we are really just arguing a fine line, Roy. I couldn't agree with you more, but I have to stop you and say I would never want Rammer to be like Mike Kelly. There is a difference between supporting overall and putting a positive spin on everything. I just listened to Mike Kelly today and the guy is a joke. He is no different than so many MU fans and many that even post on this board. It's okay to put a positive spin on things, but when you come across showing ignorance, because you're either too afraid to broach subjects that might be somewhat sensitive or just look at things only one way. After a while, guys like this lose all credibility. When you lose credibility, when you do put positive spins on things, they have no meaning.

I am all about Rammer looking for the positives in everything, but I also appreciate his worries, his concerns, and his skepticism. Why do I appreciate that, because all isn't in Billiken land right now and to never address that is ridiculous. That's all I am saying.

How do I get this guy's job? The only thing I do like about Guy is he is louder than Mike Owens when announcing. In regards to everything else about him, I'd like to smack him everytime he speaks and injects his own comments.

I am serious, I want the job. I am young and we are moving up to bigger and better things. It's time I become the future announcer for Billiken home games. I can be loud! I can use next season to get my feet wet and work on my stuff and by the time we get the arena built, I will be ready to roll! Come on guys, I know some of you are connected down at SLU, make it happen!

Well, we just think differently then. If we lose to the #1 team in the country by 20, it's not a whooping. If we beat the worst team in the country by 20, it's not a whooping. It's not a whooping when the team lies down while you run past them. Losing by more than 10 to a team like SMS, a team that we were more than capable of beating is a whooping. Yes, you are right it doesn't seem like it was that bad as you say we got within three. But, it depends where we got within three. We pulled within three with like 8 minutes left, not in the final 30 seconds. IMO, we got whooped.

Skip, I like your approach to getting something changed, but something tells me Doug is not interested in your opinion or anyone else's on this board. But, I am interested in your opinion!!!!! Do you need anybody else's now that you know I am interested?????

tonka said, "not many other top teams in the country would have Rammer doing it to begin with."

not saying i agree with that as remember, i think overall bob does a good job doing the play by play, but if the above statement is true, then why do we have him? get the best.

actually the casual fans will be exposed to the detractors. let's take bernie's board. few of the many many posters there are billiken fans. most are hardcore cardinal or blues or rams fans actually, but occasionally we get mentioned and it always amazes me how little the people on that board know about the billikens. yet when someone makes a statement there they all run with it as gospel. i call those people, who might be great cardinal fans as an example a casual billiken fan.