DSL

Schasz

I don't know about anyone else on the board, but I finally broke down and got DSL. My initial reaction for the first week is...WOW!!! It's a heck of a lot faster than that darn AOL that I messed with for too many years. I can whiz through my favorite websites like Billikens.com and have more time to explore new websites. Now if I could just eliminate both annoying Spam and Pop Ads!

Schasz,

I have been using DSL for over three years. It is wonderful.

Download the following free program to get rid of pop-ups: http://www.panicware.com/product_psfree.html You just need to hold down control whenever you want to temporary disable it to allow a pop-up to open.

With respect to spam, I recommend opening a free yahoo mail account. Yahoo has an good spam bocker program.

I personally have a cable modem. It works for me. As for SPAM, I have found a great little e-mail client that AOL Offers (it is still in Beta, as in the program isn't a finished product yet). AOL Communicator. It allows you to check your mail and be on AIM.

The GREAT thing about Communicator is its spam blocking. It learns what you consider spam and start to block it over time. Then whatever it is unsure about, it Marks as spam, it is accurate about the Mark as spam about 95% of the time. But it allows for you to have your own little filters as well.

I don't know if outlook does this too, but since my primary e-mail is AOL, it is a great find. I haven't signed onto AOL in months, I just use my communicator (we still have AOL for mother).

Steve

Also a DSL user and have a had a few problems with their tech help, but overall the service has been good.

For pop up ads blocking search for pop up ad filter. I have used it for more than a year. It is excellent, I never get pop up ads. It is free and will block 30 ads until you have to uninstall and then reinstall it, the proces takes less than a minute.

DSL is great!!!!

Why anyone would fool with AOL is beyond me. I'm sure there are AOL users out there, but I'd recommend they look around for alternatives. For the money, you can do a lot better than AOL.