Here's another take on conference alignment....

gister

Hmmm, what was most interesting were two points: 1.) CUSA has a yet undisclosed plan, and 2.) The conference commissioners are talking. I smell an urge to merge in some fashion. A twelve football team conference of BE left overs and CUSA would necessitate the bb only conference we want. Of course, now that the ACC wants only MIA and VTech this article is pretty much irrelevant. But will the BE want Marquette if they can get UL and UC? Also, three years ago would anyone of cared where Marquette ended up in this mix? Boy, reaching a final four would be nice.

I still think the Marquette fan's are overestimating their hand. What do they offer the Big East? A basketball program with some very recent success (which was preceeded by 20 years of moderate at best success), no football program, and a relatively inconvenient geographic location for most big east schools.

To continue as a major conference, the Big East needs good basketball schools with football programs that may have success in the future. Schools like Louisville, Cincy, and South Florida have a lot more to offer the Big East in the long run.

Is it now inevitable that Louisville and /or Cincy, South Florida and Marquette are going to the big east?

It is good to hear that the CUSA is being proactive, just in case we do get stuck in that league. If they do want to add say Pitt, WV and Uconn some of the southern schools will have to go.

How long do you think the process will take now? WIll we know if we are in a new conference by the start of the season?

I've been reading Rivals and CUSA Talk message boards this morning and I still don't think most posters "get it". There is no way the the Big East can maintain a BCS bid with the loss of Miami. None. Adding Louisville does not make up for losing the #1 football program and the country. The TV contract is also going to take a massive hit with the departure of Miami and Virginia Tech.

The Big East is in Big Trouble. They've only got 6 football playing members and two of them - UConn and Rutgers - suck. They're embroiled in a lawsuit with the ACC that may take months to resolve. Notre Dame can not be counted in join in football or to stay in basketball. Any team that joins the Big East risks being hung to dry whenever the ACC decides to add a twelfth team. And I can't imagine the athletic directors have any confidence in commissioner Tranghese at this point. CUSA is the conference negotiating from a position of strength, not the Big East.

MU has no reason to leave CUSA for the Big East - none! MU is best to sit tight and keep their alliance with DePaul and SLU intact to help protect themselves. SFL and East Carolina make the most sense to be approached to join the Big East - they are located on the eastern seaboard so to speak and they have decent football programs. For them, they would get admission to a BCS league and leave a non-BCS league.