Breaking Conference News...

The ACC is to add only Miami and V. Tech.

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2003/0624/1572498.html

I don't know whether anyone considered this scenario.

With BC and Syracuse remaining in the Big East, I doubt that the Big East will seek to add football-less programs (i.e., Marquette and Xavier). Unfortunately, it probably makes a ton of sense for Louisville and Cincy to move to the Big East because these additions will enable the Big East to remain a BCS conference and will also bolster the Big East's basketball profile.

If Cincy and Louisville leave CUSA, then I wouldn't be surprised to see CUSA implode, with SLU, DePaul, Marquette, and Charlotte seaking to form a new conference with schools like Dayton, Xavier, Creighton, and St. Joes. We may have the Great Midwest Conference all over again.

This should be good news for our Bills. This way it helps keep Marquette in C-USA or the new conference b/c of the Big East maintaining its basketball prowess (especially with the addition of Louisville and Cincy if it happens).

All that I hope for is that Marquette sticks with SLU and I expect everything to be okay.

Steve

If this is the course chosen, who gets really screwed is Memphis .... if we resurrect in a conference with our lines to Marquette and DePaul intact and add back up with Dayton and Xavier while pulling in Creighton, I don't see that as being too bad. It could have been a whole lot worse.

But Memphis is the one that has to be scratching its head ... it loses more in not being able to follow along with Louisville and Cincinnati .... aren't those really the two schools Calipari b*tched and moaned about getting back on his schedule? Now, not only does that not happen, but Memphis also loses two of its more sensical football opponents as well. Where does Memphis turn? To a lesser degree (only because its more football than anything else) where does SoMiss turn? The closest thing they could turn to is the SEC and I can't see the SEC taking them in. Memphis burns if this comes true.

The tigers are screwed in this arrangement.

No way the SEC will take them. Big East does not want them.

They are now sitting with the basically the national division by itself, which was the arrangement they depsarately wanted out of. Plus no doubt CUSA will expand taking in more football programs that have crappy basketball teams like Marshall. Memphis may be better off joining the mountain west or something.

i still believe that c-usa is working behind the scenes to be pro-active. the espn column today by pat forde was the first indication that in reality, this could be the springboard to revamping c-usa and making it actually stronger by being the raider instead of the raidee.

>CUSA would be better off giving Houston and Tulane their

>walking papers and adding Pitt and West Virginia. The

>question is, will they do it?

Agree with 3Star. The problem or weakness with CUSA is the bottom feeders. If we lose 2 schools from the top of the conference in realignment (i.e., Louisville and Cincy), it behoves us to not just add teams but also subtract a few from the bottom--addition by subtraction.

We'll see what happens 3star. None of us are in a position to make absolute pronouncements regarding realignment at this point. An 11 team ACC makes no sense and, in my mind, must be a holding position to eventually get to 12. As the move to the ACC is not effective until the 2005-2006 season (at least that is the last pronouncement I read), then the ACC has some time to deal with the lawsuit and then gather a consensus on the 12th team. I suspect they wanted to just add Miami, deal with the lawsuit, and then add 2 teams before the 2005-2006 season; however, Virginia refused to vote for expansion in any form unless VT was named (with Duke and NC against expansion in any form at this point). That led to the odd state of affairs in the ACC.

I think the uncertainty of another team going to the ACC might make Louisville or Cincy hesitant about jumping to the BE right out of the gate. If Louisville and Cincy will hang tight for 6 months to a year to see what else shakes out the ACC--BE drama, maybe CUSA can make moves in the interim to bolster its position vis-a-vis the BE (as you suggest, adding teams like Pitt and WVa or getting rid of bottom feeders or both).

All of you make good points - I am not sure if you can get WVA and Pitt to leave the Big East. If they leave then the Big East does implode. The two will only leave if they think they have made a better deal for themselves and I am not sure that the CUSA as a football conference then what they would be leaving. I do strongly agree that the current move by the ACC is good news for SLU.