billikens summer scrimmages

bart

SLU 72 wondered how come he hasn't heard much about summer workouts. I'll try to fill some of that void. There are a number of current players in St. L. this summer. They are scrimmaging regularly in West Pine Gym. Yesterday I watched Fischer, Sloan, Bryant, Hunt, IO, Varner, Dreja, and Johnson along with Tatum (who is going overseas to play) and a recruit or two scrimmage. Somebody said Larry the Legend might even be showing up.

although this is full court five on five without a referee, several things are apparent. Fischer is one tough defender who has a good sense of how to clog passing lanes. Given Brad's emphasis on defense, I predict he will start. Bryant has a scorer's mentality. He looks to score. We have all heard he is a shooter, but he can also take it to the hoop as well. In the scrimmages I have seen, his shooting seems streaky. Dreja is a nice player, he contnues to work hard and his confidence in his long range shooting has grown. I'm glad Brad found him. Johnson is bigger than a year ago, but not big and strong enough yet. I hope he continues on the weight program. If he has gained 20, he could handle another 20. I hope and I think he can hit the mid-range jumper. Roy, Johnson is a good athlete for a 6'8" kid. He has hops.IO is bigger and a bit more defined, but again more weight would be a welcomed. He should create some real match up problems for some of our opponents.A white kid about 6'5" or so who I was told was a possible recruit hit a couple nice jumpers. The names and faces change from day to day, but the scrimmages continue.

They usually kick off at about 4 pm. Work schedules, etc. seem to intervene from time to time, so the cast of players changes just a little bit from day to day. Monday, for instance, Sloan was rushing in a wee bit late (I think from work). Therefore, if your favorite player isn't there at exactly 4 pm don't run off. He's probably on his way. They seem to go 3 or 4 days/week. This seems to change a little from week to week. You might be able to call the athletic office and see if they know. Then agian, there must be some arcane NCAA rule that specifies no one at the university can comment on summer scrimmages.

Could have been him. His hair was shorter and seemed a bit lighter (bleached out by the sun?). I was puzzled watching this recruit play -not a great athlete, not big and strong, but he was definitely not intimidated playing with the likes of Tatum and others. Every few minutes he would get himself open for a good look and, more often than not, hit it including several treys. I would like to watch him play some more. He struck me as one of these players who can very quietly do damage. You look aat the box score and see 5 out of 8 from the floor (including a trey or two)and 4 out of 5 from the line and say, gosh did he really have 15 points or so?

Hmm . . . he's 6'5, not big and strong and his hair isn't that dark. That doesn't sound like Luke Meyer, that sounds like Dane Brumagin, a rising junior (Class of 2005) from Warrenton Christian. He scrimmaged a little with the Bills last summer and held his own. Brumagin's high school competition is extremely weak - he averaged 30 ppg and 13 rpg this past year - so the only real comp he gets is over the summer.

I really hope this mystery player plays tomorrow so I can verify.