Scary ESPN article

kshoe

what would Marquette get out of this except a great deal of travel time and expenses. Moreover all that travel is in the winter.

I agree Louisville wil leave CUSA pretty quickly, but perhaps the ACC will be more interested in them since they do not want to mess around with BC or Syracuse again. Moreover don't you think any football team that joins the big east would ask for some assurances that BC and syracuse are staying??

Marquette likely has not been offered the chance and the certainly have not yet accepted an offer, but if an offer comes they have many reasons to accept it.

First of all, travel is not as big of a problem as we might think. Think of MU geographically compared to the rest of CUSA. The Big East looks like a small commute compared to the 9 basketball teams that are south of the Mason-Dixon line.

As a BCS league, the BE has a great deal more money than CUSA will ever have. I am sure that if the BE wants MU they can offer a financial package that will diminish the expense of travel.

Additionally, universities that SLU, Marquette and DePaul are very much interested in becoming national universities, not just local ones. Entry into the BE is another step in that direction. The athletic reputation of the BE is higher than CUSA and the academic reputation is higher (overall...VA Tech and a few others excluded).

I think Marquette is fortunate that they are being considered. I think that if SLU was in the same place, it would be a no-brainer decision.

I certainly have no crystal ball regarding the conference shake up but my sense is that we will have 5 to 6 major football conferences. Members of these conferences will have a tremendous advantage in all athletics because of the FBall revenue. I think there will be 2-3 primary basketball conferences (including the BE BBall only league) If SLU misses out on getting into a renewed BE, then the emphasis needs to be on being a charter member of the premier midwest bball only conference.

Your position that getting to games in the Big East for minor sports is much closer/easier than in CUSA is not necessarily true. The teams from MU will not go east just once they will have to travel east as many times as they are currently traveling to CUSA games. Costs will at best be the same. However, they loose the Chicago and St. Louis connection. The rest of your points due make some sense.

I know I read somewhere that the Big East basketball only schools do not share in the football revenue. Thus, from a BCS conference prespective there is no financial advantgage of playing in the Big East.

Now if you want to argue that playing in the Big East will put you on t.v. more, sell more tickets, etc. I might agree with you. It seems to me the big reason all the basketball schools in the Big East don't want to split off and join Marquette, Depaul, SLU, etc. is they want to keep the Big East name, Madison square garden tourney, past NCAA credits, etc. Splitting off the risk losing all of that.

You are correct on all your points. A 14 or 16 team conference split into 2 divisions make great sense for the Big East. A west division of MU, DePaul, SLU, Xavier, Dayton, and ND would be perfect - imagine having the chance to go to New York for the conference tournament each year. This whole football thing is just plain silly and people need to keep a perspective - plenty of people would be very upset if their bb only school is shafted. My only concern is what do they do with the 5 or 6 Big East remaining football schools?