Brad on KFNS at 12:30 today with Frank....

gister

There wasn't really anything discussed thatwe haven't already hashed on this board. I'll pass along what pertinent things I can recall.

First, though, I want to express that though I really appreciate Frank Cusumano's enthusiasm for SLU basketball and area basketball in general, I'm coming to realize that we must take some of what he passes along with a grain of salt. He's not as knowledgeable as one would think. How is it that he thought the possible conference shakeups resulting from ACC expansion would affect the 2003-04 conference schedules? Coach Brad Soderberg had to explain to him that the changes wouldn't go into affect any sooner than this time next year.

Coach Soderberg talked about the summer camp, which he tries to make fun. He doesn't see it as an extensive recruiting opportunity.

He discussed Marque Perry's chances of being drafted. He said that Perry has worked hard. Perry has had a couple of workouts with Toronto. At the Portsmouth camp, he did all the things we saw him do at SLU -- blow by people off the dribble, get into the lane at will, hit the 15-foot jumper off the dribble -- and he played point exclusively. The knock on Perry is his ability to shoot successfully from the NBA 3-point line; he didn't shoot well from the college line, so going a step-and-a-half beyond that makes it even harder. Soderberg is hopeful that some team will recognize what Perry does well (he couldn't think of anyone in the NBA, particularly among rookies, who could stop Perry) and have him fill a need.

He spoke enthusiastically about the potential of Ian Vouyoukas. Brad said he's a little over 6-11 and 255. Coach gushed about his skills, especially his passing ability. He mentioned Vlade Divac in comparision.

Soderberg believes Izik Ohanon has the ability to be a difference maker this coming season, even broaching the possiblity that he could take over Perry's role as team-high scorer. Cusumano had thrown out 15 ppg and 8 rpg, and Brad said nothing to discourage that thought.

Coach is concerned about the possible ramifications of ACC expansion. He said that part of having the opportunity to compete for a National Championship is playing in a strong conference. Conference USA isn't in the top echelon, yet, but it has potential; but if the headliners (Cincinnati, Louisville, Marquette, Memphis) are lured away from C-USA, it would put SLU in a bad position.

Lastly, Soderberg reiterated that he is committed to building the program around recruiting locally, even if the first 12 months of results would make observers roll their eyes at that statement. He's excited about the potential of the 2004 class, which he said may be the best St. Louis has had in a long time, and he's optimistic about the prospect of SLU's 2004 recruiting class.

Frank is knowledgeable - anybody who knows anything about sports reporting in St.Louis knows that he does his homework well beyond the others. He asked the question really for the listeners not for him. Frank has broken more basketball stories then anyone else in the last year.

Frank is a hoops junkie like most of the fans around on this board.

I've seen him at several games/events that I didn't think he'd have any interest in. He does his homework. He talks about DeSmet too much and he doesn't know as much about high school basketball in St. Louis as some people -- like Earl Austin -- but he does a very good job.

- Nate

"He asked the question really for the listeners not for him"

I think if that were the case, he would have phrased the questions as a leading question: "But the changes in conferences won't go in effect until the following season?"

I'm not knocking Frank Cusumano's knowledge -- just saying that he doesn't know it all, and sometimes he lacks information or is wrong. Believe me, I think SLU fans have every reason to appreciate him, but we shouldn't make him out to be more than he is just because he's connected to SLU, meanwhile we doubt and dog other journalists who don't like SLU.

Thicks....heard the segment and I too was amazed at Frank's question. Thought he would have known that answer. Your report is thorough and accurate. The only other thing I took away from the interview was Coach's comment in regard to recruiting for next year. Coach paused, then said that he was excited and confident that he was going to have the kind of recruiting class he has talked about in that it will be locally strong, and bring in the kind of players he wants.

He also praised Izik as the kind of player who is serious about his basketball, and has added strength and size this summer.

All the players, except Ian V, are going to be in for the second summer school session beginning June 30, right after the All Star Game on June 28th.

Coach did NOT state that he was looking forward to AJ's or t and t's evaluation of our players at the All Star Game. He may have said so, but I did miss that point, however.

mhg

While I always assumed it would not happen until the start of the 2004 school year.....your discussion made me second guess myself, then I reread it......I am not sure about Frank and his knowledge, but he does seem to pass along info that is accurate. Anyway thanks for the report!!

When I spoke with Brad about the conference re-alignment, this was the period when the ACC was considered a done deal, he was fairly confident. I think the idea that the ACC would feast on only one school, confused everyone. I too think if the ACC takes four school the Big East is done.

anyway decisions will happen in the next couple of weeks.