ESPN article on conference realignment

Sluzer

I don't like the sound of this at all. I do not know if Katz's sources are reliable, but if so, we could be in some trouble. I'm sure marquette and xavier would bolt...I don't know how strong the supposed agreement with marquette to stay together really is. If Louisville and Marquette leave, C-USA losses virtually all its prestige. We got major recognition this year with Marquette in the Final Four and Louisville being #2 (until we beat em :) ). No way we can snag some teams that could replace them. Looks like the Catholic Conference could be a long shot. Too bad, I was just getting excited....

I hate to be a fatalist about this subject, but I honestly think, and have thought for months, that we as the Billiken faithful are going to be VERY disappointed if and when the new conferences are formed. I hope I am wrong, but I can see us playing in the Valley in a couple of years.

We won't be playing in the Valley in a few years (at least not as it currently exists). The administration at SLU is very conscious of the ramifications of the conference shake-up and will use its large market, new arena, and high attendance as leverage to find a decent situation for SLU. If we are left out, then DePaul, Dayton, Creighton, St. Joe's, Charlotte, Temple will also be looking for new allegiances. That's not a bad base from which to form a new conference.

I agree with David. IMHO, SLU, DePaul and other private b-ball left-overs (don't be surprised if Marquette ends up in our group as well) from large markets will band together and form a new league. Just as the Big East will raid better teams from lesser conferences such as CUSA, our new group will be able to raid the best teams from smaller conferences like the Valley. I think Butler is another team we should consider for the new conference that shall inevitably form once BC, SYR, and MIA defect to the ACC. I would hope that Cincy, Memphis, Marquette (if they go to the Big East), will play out-of-conference games with SLU ala Dayton when they were left in the lurch when CUSA was formed. I would really expect Marquette to still schedule DePaul and SLU if they end up in difference conferences.

is the Big East sits there an whines about how unfair it is that the ACC is taking their 3 top schools but then they are going to turn around and rob CUSA of their top 2 basketball teams and the A-10 of its best basketball team. Maybe CUSA should threaten a pre-emptive law-suit just like the football schools of the Big East.

Drew, be a fatalist if that's how you chose to live, but I'll go the other way.

One of three things is going to happen. (1) We stay in C-USA because the ACC expansion effort doesn't happen near term. (2) The ACC expands and we end up with a combination of the non-football Big East, A-10 and C-USA schools. This is my preference. Or (3), we end up in the Valley with maybe DePaul, and we become as successful as Creighton, or perhaps we become the next Gonzaga.

I'm not convinced that Marquette jumps to the big east without SLU and DePaul. Money talks and they may throw a lot at MU, but you also have to look at other sports. What kind of soccer does the Big East play? What about all the minor sports? How expensive will travel be? I still believe we will see a new private - mid west based confrence formed. Not only do I feel this would be in our best interest but I also believe it would be in the best interest of DePaul,MU,XU,Creighton,Dayton,Charlette and maybe Tulsa and Bradley. I'm hopeing that Woolard is out front an this. I also think he may be.

The longer this thing drags out, the more the chances of realignment not happening this year go up. It is now being reported that the ACC presidents will not have another conference call until next week. If the deal is not done in June, the breakup fee doubles for the three Big East schools (goes from $1 mill to $2 mill I think). Here is a new article out of W.Va. on the situation.

http://www.register-herald.com/articles/20...2bigeastacc.txt