In Bernie's Bits

bernie shilling for weber is disappointing. especially since slu has invited kevin's high school team to the billiken team camp and althoff is indeed planning on coming. why no mention of that bernie?

keep in mind it is only an invite. kevin was strongly pursued to play for the eagles this summer and kevin said no preferring to work on his game on his own and play for his high school team in summer workouts. as far as i know, kevin hasnt agreed to attend the illini camp yet.

btw, i understand that marquette is now sending letters now to kevin's backcourt mate, kenon harrington. i guess crean figured recruiting buds (wade and blankson) worked before, maybe it will work again. kenon has potential, but he is no where in kevin's class as of yet, plus i am not sure they are that great of friends. i dont think that it will work this time tommie.

Back to Corky the Clown. Post-Dispatch restaurant critic Joe Bonwich(also of Billikens.com fame) suggests a special promotion for the Aug. 26 Cubs-Cardinals game at Busch Stadium: "Clif St. James Night". Fans would be encouraged to dress up as Clif's most beloved character, Corky the Clown, who appeared on Channel 5 for a long run. Corky could throw out the ceremonial first pitch, in honor of Sammy Sosa. ...

I will say one thing for Crean, he has a pretty good ability to see good players and kids who fly just enough under the radar, and more than not they turn out. Wade was not highy recruited out of high school, until too late. Or how about same team diff example...under Kevin O'Neill...NBA' er Amal McCaskill a throw in and teammate of highly recruited Will Gates...Gates never recovered from injuries and MacKaskill went to the NBA.

Sometimes it works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't for various reasons.

no doubt young mr harrington has some athleticism (probably a better athlete than kevin lisch now) and he has a frame that lets one believe he could grow some more, but he is no where near the basketball player kevin is, i dont care how good crean's crystal ball is, i dont believe he is recruiting keyon harrington right now because he believes keyon will be the next duane wade. he is recruiting kenon to get as close to lisch as possible.

cheeseman, imo weber was already a presense in st louis. now he has a higher quality product to sell (illini over the saluki's) thus, i believe weber now becomes a bigger thorn in our side than he already was if we are chasing the same recruit.

Crean is an interesting study with recruiting. I appreciate his inside/out style...Wisconsin/Illinois first, then Michigan, Minnesota...he would really like to tap into the Minneapolis market...just ask Bleedgopher, and perhaps STL area as well. I know he was hard after some NYC kids last year to get out East but they weren't the best fit...He recruits Chicago first, virtually Marquette's home market. He has made inroads in Texas too.

The final four elevated their recruiting big time...the kids they are "in" on now, underclassmen, are more highly ranked and touted than ever. Sometimes that doesn't mean much...but it shows that they won't have to get talent under the radar anymore. Although Crean like sit that way.

Crean has a serious coaching friend posse that he uses and extends all of the time...latest is connecting with Doc Rivers, former Marquette star about kids in Florida, including Rivers' kid and teammates and friends.

And like so many other coaches he doesn't get them all, rival Wisconsin has locked a few superstar recruits Crean would have liked to have had.

The other thing with recruiting, ...is that a coach like Crean offers a TON of kids, way more than spots available...some are much better than others.

The one thing I notcie from their teams, is just that, lots of team play. They passed on highly touted DePaul signee Wesley Green. Crean apparently didn't like his attitude. Have to be a team first guy. I am curious how Green will wind up.