Liddell

Billiken Law

I'd also agree with Roy's take that both MU-SLU games were highly competitive games. I seem to recall that the Bills defended Wade very well in both games. I would expect a couple more close games this year, and I'll go out on the limb and say the Bills win one of the games.

>Actually, Upchurch was supposed to have come in 1987. He was

>the missing piece that would have put the

>Bonner/Douglas/Gray teams into the NCAAs. Upchurch went to

>Houston and SLU went to the NIT.

Yeah, you got me on that one. Grawer's run ended after Bonner left. Here are Upchurch's career stats at Houston (solid):

http://www.sportsstats.com/jazzyj/greats/cba92/upchurch.htm

marquette fan courtside said in a much earlier post in this string in what appeared to me to be a comment directed at the billikens for recruiting liddell after other marquette fan, billiken law questioned why the billikens would recruit tommie if he was an academic risk,

"The team is dire need of a "player," and an athletic upgrade."

my dictionary says the word "dire" means "1.very horrible : dreadful 2. warning of a disaster 3. extreme"

i do not consider any of these meanings one which describes the billikens player situation. even with my most objective glasses on. however, i guess if i was looking down the long golden eagle nose you have shown us, i guess you might call the billiken player situation dire even though the golden eagles even in their greatest season in the last 20 some years barely beat the "dire talent needing" billikens.

i understand the billikens are probably not going to the final four next year, but i dont think the billikens are going to fold the tent and go winless this upcoming season either. the latter is closer to a "dire" need for talent and athleticism imo. we havent been there in about 20 years.

thanks for your objective point of view of not only the billikens, but of my own observations and frequency of posts.

that said, as thicks pointed out, in an effort to allow readers to understand discussion and my commentary, at least i try to post immediately after the post in question. unlike apparently both of the posts you made in this string.

SLU hoops is in dire need of more athletic basketball players, and more talented basketball players if they want to advance to a greater degree in college hoops, period. You can disagree all you want, and somehow relate it to Marquette or Charlotte or Cinci or whomever. My post, for clarity was that SLU should recruit TL...if he was capable academically to do the work, and a good kid. period. And at east you a more sensible argument. Didn't Marquette lose to E Carolina the past two years? not sure but I think so...does that make E Carolina's program close to Marquette's or better? I don't get the logic. Ohio State barely won so many games in football last year, yet won the national championship...same thing.

Roy you spent all of last season on this and wasted everyone's time on it. I discussed at length last year my ties to the SLU hoops program and history. It has been overdone. What I do not have is tunnel vision. I also don't attack other posters as you seem to do on a regular basis...see most recent soccer post. I don't come here to be a cheerleader. My posts on "play" with hoops, are eerily similar to my posts on soccer, ...objective. When I attend games, I "hoot" and "holler" and root root for the home team...this isn't cheerleader.com. That is what games are for.

As I always say, if you spent less time being bitter, hating, jealous etc...of others, and more on the positives, you would get farther with less energy.

By the way to everyone else, it wasn't cold last night.

bradley center courtside said, "As I always say, if you spent less time being bitter, hating, jealous etc...of others, and more on the positives, you would get farther with less energy."

please oh wise and so objective one, tell me just were do i need to get further? i wasnt aware i needed to get anywhere. unlike you though who seems bent on making sure we all know that the billikens cant compete with marquette.

the only bitterness and hatred i show is versus those that hate the billikens. so if the shoe fits.......

just because they have no scholarships available this minute does not preclude marquette from offering one now. the key is that they have to have one available for everyone next fall when school would start and they have to remain in the boundaries of the 8/5 rule.

i.e. if the kid at the end of the bench that hasnt played the last year or two "decides" he would be better off going elsewhere to finish his college basketball career. amazingly, they would have a scholarship now available.

we have yet to see crean play this game in the past. however, there are plenty of coaches that play this game quite often. spumac seems to be an expert at the juggling game.

you are the one that is the instigator. you come to a billiken site with your marquette superior attitude constantly. you need to look in the mirror and maybe take your own advice.

BTW it is great to know I am courtside at so many places. I do get to travel and see many games, and the Bradley Center is a good place for a game. I like Rupp quite a bit too. Never did like the Shoe, but it gets loud in there. I don't like Savvis but the old Kiel was great. (even for afternoon Blackburn games). Memorial gym at Vandy was superb in the Barry Goheen days, was fortunate to see some action there...although I do not like the raised floor ala 'Sota. But Williams arena is a good one, about 14k. MSG is a must, overrated yet special at the same time. Cameron is even smaller than it looks on tv. I was never too enthralled with Hearnes. Allen Field House is a good one. So is Carver in Iowa City. Don't like Purdue's. Freedom Hall is nuts, and you can't ever go wrong with hard liquor at games...lots of whiskey there. Not a lot going on next to it though. Let's not limit it to D-1. UMSL isn't bad.(Free Von Scales)...Maryville too small.

SLU has one of nicest soccer venues in the country...oh but this is a hoops thread....scratch that one.

The Dean Dome?...is okay but you get the Franklin street co-eds.

I digress.

Good try...but I only comment on the Bills and related threads to the Bills. You could say the same thing about me and Mizzou, ...just because I don't hate Mizzou...like you. Pickyour posion. Superiority? where and when? ...not the case. SLU is making nice progress with Liddell and arena progress. This could work equally for SLU soccer, read some of those.

Same old song.

other than lecturing me about my conduct towards your sorry presense, and i guess soccer posts, which i rarely read, it is the rare post you make on this board where you are not shilling the golden eagles or telling us how unrealistic we are about billiken expectations. that seems to be the tone of a typical bradley center courtside post.

I am more than happy to lecture you on your infantile name-calling behavior. Someone should. I'd be happy to ....the tone in your posts are mostly bitter at anyone who doesn't hold your opinion. Your tone in your writing frequently becomes hostile, and you tend to make up facts as you go, repeat them early and often...and somehow they become fact in your head. A little creepy.

this lecture to Roy was brought to you by Bud Light...for the great taste that won't fill you up but never let you down, make it a Bud Light!!!

and by icy cold frosty Budweiser, because the King is true.

what's wrong with defending my opinion? why is that generalized as bitter? i dont think that is the case on the overwhelming majority of subjects i comment on.

now there are subjects that i will defend and i am bitter about such as fans of other programs that come here to try to tell us how we billiken fans arent worthy to be discussed in the same context as their program. i would venture to say that would be the overwhelming majority of posts whereby i would appear bitter and demanding.

however, if for example, the missouri and marquette fans dont like that, too bad. i can guarantee you i wont change that response. but as far as discussing the billikens i dont think in general that is true comment on my posts.

i admit, the interaction with you oh worthy and so objective one, is one that could be constituted as bitter. because as i said, everyone of your posts that i recall has been one to either combat me or to tell us about the superiority of marquette and the inferiority of the billikens. i promise you, that will continue to be met with my same responses.

Amen to that...unfortunately I don't have this problem with any other poster. Whether its Billiken folks, BleedGopher from Minnesota, or Markedman from Marquette, or Tiger folks. I will never forget the usual skeptical and classless remarks from Roy to Bleed Gopher, probably one of the best posters on any of these boards.

If you don't hold Roy's opinions or agree with him, he goes into bitterness and personl attacks and so on...this isn't the first and won't be the last for him. I will make a better effort for you to not respond...thanks.

"i.e. if the kid at the end of the bench that hasnt played the last year or two "decides" he would be better off going elsewhere to finish his college basketball career. amazingly, they would have a scholarship now available."

That may happen at places like Mizzou, Wisconsin, Michigan, etc but Crean won't do that.

still waiting for that list of times i have made up facts. btw, how's the weather in good ole downtown milwaukee today.

This will be the final post on this topic...guaranteeing a Roy response because he just cannot let it go.

For whatever reason you are fixated on Marquette. Marquette isn't affiliated with most of my posts. (except for the fact that I said in my soccer post before the SLU/Marquette game that this is not one of Marquette's stronger clubs in recent years and that SLU should have defeated them 2-0) I do recall during hoops season, generally when I make my posts, in-season...just as I do in-season for soccer, (I am not much of an off-season poster)...commenting in Wade as best player in C-USA last season, and one of best in country...something you disputed vehemently prior to season and early in season repeatedly. And the other one would have been regarding the all-conference team where I picked the team and it contained Rob Jackson, and somehow the conference agreed with me. I had Marquee Perry on the first team, and not C-USA player of year and you disagreed with that one too.

Since this season there isn't likely to be a first-teamer from Marquette unless Diener or Merritt or Mason makes it. Maybe there will be a lot of Dean discussion from Louisville, and I will be Mr. Freedom Hall.

SLU has not been a strong club in recent years. Hopefully they are moving in the right direction. But in recent years they have not been in the elite of the conference vs other teams. IF we were discussing the 80's...I would be talking about Douglass, Gray etc...and how strong they are in the MCC, but always struggle with Xavier, and no one else. If it is the 90's, I would be saying that Charile Spoonhour somehwow gets more credit than Rich Grawer, something I will never understand. This was life support at best before Grawer came in. Mom and pop nation. SLU is a solid NIT club right now. They flirted with NCAA a few times in the 90's. They would have made it in the AB era, but did not play tough enough clubs. SLU has the $$, no other sport like football to take the limelight, and could turn the corner to a yearly NCAA club, and hopefully a yearly sweet 16 club some time. Right now, if you went anywhere outside of the local tunnel vision, they would say SLU is a soccer school, ...period. And those in the know who know better would say they are losing too many 1st and second round soccer games too....but those in the know also would say that now there is a greater soccer commitment, paid full time assistant, etc...and expectations there are rising a little bit again...they were unrealistic for a while there.

SLU should have the goal of making the NCAA yearly...then when they can hit that, to do something more. When SLU becomes something more than that, my OBJECTIVE commentary will be more than that.

But if this isn't ra-ra rose-colored glasses for you, boo freakin hoo. tough.