Liddell

Billiken Law

If SLU does indeed get Tommie Liddell that's a huge get for them. However, do they still take him if he's a partial or even non-qualifier? What about those of you who have been critical of schools like Marquette for taking Wade, a partial qualifier?

Question about Kern? Did he choose not to come to SLU because he didn't qualify or was he denied admission (it looks like he wouldn't have lasted a SLU anyway).

Personally, I have no problem with taking a partial if they show the drive and ambition to take advantage of the opportunity they've been given to succeed in the classroom and earn their eligibility.

everything i have heard and seen about tommie doesnt let me compare him to nick kern who has proven himself to be everything that is wrong about basketball recruits. if tommie is a partial qualifier, i take him and let him sit a year ala wade. he is that much of a talent and apparently a very good person. i am convinced his academic problems are more a result of attending one of the worst high schools in america than of his abilities. why the state oversight panel hasnt really done anything to either fix or pull the plug on district 189 is beyond me. corruption and all the wrong things abound.

I say take Liddell either way as he sounds (i get all my info from this board) like a good kid with great skills...he just needs to concentrate in the classroom.

To answer your question, my understanding was that Kern decided not to come to SLU once Romar announced his departure. There may have been other acedemic issues involved, but I believe the official reason was Romar leaving.

nashville, that was the convienent answer that floyd played up for the cameras. however the truth was that nick wasnt even close to qualifying academically and would never had been a billiken.

I don't think anyone ever run down Marquette for wade. Now someone like Clemons at the much sicker and more depraved MU is an academic joke. Let's just say there are partial qualifiers and then there are partial qualifiers. If Tark the shark was coaching at MU and Dwayne Wade's daddy was head of basketball operations I'd have been worried.

I wasn't specifically accusing anyone of running down MU for taking Wade. However, there have been comments on this board that Crean got MU to lower their academic standards (as evidenced by taking Wade) and inplement a PE major to become competitive, both of which are not true.

Whoever said there are partial qualifiers and then partial qualifiers, you couldn't be more true. Let's hope (and I'm confident he will) Liddell takes the Wade and not the Kern route.

Kern was not close grade wise and was even worse on the ACT.

BTW Kern has fallen off the face of the earth. Tate at Mineral Area said he was coming there in the spring but a friend of mine on the bball staff there has not seen him in the gym or in class.

If Liddell is a good kid, who works hard in classroom, then by all means, take him. Wade was a good kid, worked hard, but was passed along in bad academic environments, and not the greatest environment for his upbringing. He had a 3.0 in college. Hope he is a Wade, with the books, and a little like him on the floor.

At some point you have to take a chance, if it is an educated guess, and go with it. The team is dire need of a "player," and an athletic upgrade.

He also is an area kid...

Get that done. Not much discussion needed here.

Law-man,

I can recall two partial qualifiers that SLU accepted and both earned their degrees. One was a Vashon grad and role player named Anthony Jones, that I believe came on board the same time Anthony Bonner signed with SLU in the mid 80's. The second was Justin Tatum, who came in with the Hughes, Baniak group. Tatum finished his final semester of eligibilty playing at McKendree College and has now completed his degree requirements.

There may have been other partial qualifiers that SLU has accepted, but I can't think of them at this time.

I don't recall any SLU posters putting down partial qualifiers, but there was much conversation about a PE major.

courtside said, "At some point you have to take a chance, if it is an educated guess, and go with it. The team is dire need of a "player," and an athletic upgrade."

always good to hear the marquette fans tell us how inadequate our players are compared to theirs. thanks, but i never saw the golden eagles far more outstanding "players" and "athletes" blow the inadequate and badly needed upgradable players from the billikens off the court recently.

This discussion reminds me of a painful incident at the end of the Rich Grawer years: Craig Upchurch. Here was a guy who wanted to come to SLU, who was eligible, but who SLU asked to go to summer school before they would admit him. Upchurch went to summer school as requested but in August the university decided his work over the summer was insufficent to meet their standards. Craig Upchurch went on to have a solid career at Houston and Rich Grawer got fired at the conclusion of the following season (which was horid for our Billikens).

If a kid has a good attitude, shows that he does his class work and is willing to put out the effort to improve acedemically, I am all for taking such a player. I am certain with Father Biondi as president we will not have another Craig Upchurch situation.

nark, you are and are not correct. for example brandon morris obviously met the ncaa requirements for division I judging from the fact he will be playing this fall, however he did not have the necessary coursework to fit into a slu major. so we still cannot get all the athletes that are eligible elsewhere.

It's not like Liddell could be taking a pe course that wouldn't transfer to SLU.

I, for one, wish everyone would shut their yaps about his eligablity. We don't know the academic situation. We also don't know what agreement He and Brad have come to regarding studies(everything I've heard about Brad suggests such an agreement) We don't know squat. We'll be happy to have him no matter what!

Roy thats not quite true. SLU would not accept a D he received in an ethics class therefore he did not have enough credits. Some schools will accept D's thereby giving him enough credits. I know I'm talking symantecs but as far as the NCAA goes it's all about transferable hours.

...Perhaps because of you post every other second, you don't stop to look at the original post...of which, I am responding to. Go back and read it, and then maybe you can follow. I was wondering when the angry manic episode would come out.

The difference between you and me(one of many) is objectivity, I have it, and you don't. IF you don't think SLU is in serious need of a talent upgrade, then I suppose we will strongly disagree.

Perhaps if I did not stick to the original poster's topic and example and used another...say LaPhonso Ellis or something else, it would more suffice for you. Or do you hate Notre Dame too? Like Mizzou,(why because they don't play SLU every year, or are in same state?) Marquette,(because they are not loyal to you and hurt your feelings, just like SLU wasn't to the MCC schools) the rest of C-USA, and I believe every other school or person. Yawn. Try fiinding the positive. Just like I do, sitting near all the 90 year old crab ass blue hairs at Savvis...better yet, even before enjoying a SLU hoops game this winter, check out a men's soccer game where one can be objective and still cast praise on the highly ranked and successful squad.(it sure beats women's softball)...and I am late for tonight's game...actually hoping beyond your great knowledge and wisdom(lol, insert your own joke here) that they beat your hated Marquette tonight.

Tix are $5

.....Craig Upchurch? one of the most intimidatng high schoolers I ever saw at Beaumont.