Justin Johnson

slufanskip

I was very encouraged by Brad's comments on JJ. As I have posted previously I think he is a huge key to the season. Being short a big man for the first 10 games will should give him plenty of minutes.

I know everyone loves Chris Sloan ... but how great would it be if JJ had improved so much that he could start.

That would leave us with a starting 5 of

TF

JJ

IO

RB

JF

Off the bench ... AD and CS would be the first options. Just think of the versatility that would give us. Sloan would still get 25 minutes a game ... his intensity would provide a huge lift off the bench and he can play the 3 or the 4 depending on the matchups and how The big three are playing. Same said for AD at the 1 or 2.

Once IV is back we will have so many options big or small. Also it will be so much easier to replace someone having an off night.

There is no way jj is going to put Sloan on the bench. I get the feeling that Brad believes Sloan will be his MVP. I was also at last nights meeting and didn't quite get the same feeling about Brad's comments about Johnson. I read his remarks as he really doesn't know what to expect from Johnson. Johnson has the tools but hasn't shown that he knows how to use them on a consistent basis. I felt Brad was saying he just doesn't know.

an interesting figure to watch. As some of the veteran posters online know, I'm not expecting too much from him. True, I've only seen him play once, but I just can't get over the fact that K-State reneged their commitment to him. Yes, I know K-State had a more pressing need at the point... You can spin it however you want.

At least, we'll see soon if Brad's gamble might pay off.

I'm not saying he will ... What encouraged me was the fact that he believes he has the tools. Now it is up to JJ to put them to good use on a consistent basis.

I know it is possibly a stretch ... but if JJ can be the prototypical CUSA 4 as Brad said he had the body and skills to be ... then CS does go to the bench as a sixth man. I'm not downgrading CS in any way ... just hoping JJ has and continues to improve enough to be that player. I think JJ has far more "upside" than Cs and that line up intrigues me and gives us so much versatility.

Yes ... it is a stretch but ...

I think your hopes for JJ this year are too high. I have seen him in a few practices last year and liked the tools I saw, great hops, nice 10' stroke (but weak under the basket for a PF--the extra 20 pounds should help this). However, as reported by other posters last year, the coaching staff has made informal comments about JJ to the effect that he has problem with "focus". If the coaching staff is talking with some enthusiasm about JJ this year, I think you have to remember that they started out if with low expectations for him. The fact that he has worked in the weight room to bulk up gives me some indication that he is maturing and shall be better focused (not be a redshirt should help as well).

There is no way JJ is going to start unless Sloan gets hurt. If he progresses into a regular contributor for 10 to 20 minutes per game, 3-5 points per, plays solid defense, a few rebounds per ... then we should all be happy with that for this year.

I read Coach Brad's comments on Justin Johnson to be a matter of JJ taking his potential and putting them into productive results. I believe Brad stated he wanted to see how all of his new players preformed at the Savvis before stated how good the Bills could be. If SLU can get 10 decent minutes a game this year from JJ that will be a good sign for his future and it will help determine how that fourth scholarship is used in the Spring.

if any one moves up enough to send chris sloan to the bench this year, that will be a great sign. the way coach brad gushed about chris and his mission this season, tells me that sloan will see more floor minutes than anyone else this season. but like you said, if it happens, it is a sign that something very unexpected and probably good happened.

With all due respect it is insane to talk about Chris Sloan "going to the bench"! His nonstatistical contribution to this team is unmatched by any other player. He is one of the best on ball/ plus help defenders I have ever seen. His intensity is fantastic, he is a hard nosed rebounder and his offense has really developed. He is the most important player on this team!! Others will score more but for us to win Chris will need to play his best!

By the way, based upon what we have heard about his international experience I seriously doubt that JJ could even play ahead of V, our large and athletic freshman. I watched a number of practices last year and I think JJ has potential but I for one need to be convinced that he will be an important contributor for the Bills.

I hate to say it but IMO you overestimate his skills. Now Please everyone don't start telling me how good Chris is ... I like him a lot. I am not saying JJ will replace him just throwing something out there to discuss instead of dogging the valley fans.

If JJ could replace him and Chris came off the bench ... how good would that make us ...

I do believe Chris's game leads to coming off the bench. I won't reiterate why ... we all know what he brings to the table. ... but we seem to forget what he doesn't.

He cant' get to the basket and finish regularly ... he can't get the inside offensive rebound and take it back up and score. ( I am not saying he never has ... he just doesn't have the body or the athleticism to do it consistently ) ... He can't create his shot off the dribble. Defensively he is better gaurding the other teams 3 than the 4.

What do you think a 4 should bring to the table.

I think we would struggle defensively against teams that play 3 guards or a small forward that is very similar to a guard if we have IO and JJ at the forwards spots. A small quick player would give both IO and JJ problems on the defensive end.

I think JJ will primarily back up IO and Frericks at the 4 & 5 spots. I think he will play the post because my guess is Husak will red-shirt and with Ian out 10 games, it will either be JJ, IO or Varner. Since IO already getting time at the 3/4, I hope JJ beats out Varner for playing time in the post early in the year. I hope JJ and Varner both step up and earn playing time because I think resting Sloan is a great idea, his high energy game would be more effective with giving him constant breathers throughout the game. Also this might help save his legs for his outside shot which I think we will see more than we have in the past.

If Ross beats out JJ then we are in real trouble. Even if they are both equal, JJ should play because he has more upside - 4 years to grow and Ross has one year and then he is gone. Lets not start thinking like Tony L. with the Cards - play those vets even though they will be leaving and never develop the young ones unless you forced to by injuries or by their superb play (Pujols). Can you believe he was going pass over him for Bobby B.