Big East sues to prevent ACC expansion

jjray

http://sports.excite.com/news/06062003/v8188.html

If a lawsuit is able to drag out finalization of the ACC expansion by a year or two, I think that is a potentially big plus for SLU. I really feel Uncle Soderberg will improve our team and the player quality each successive year. Also, the Biondi Dome should move from the drawing board to commencement of actual construction within the next year. All of this strengthens our hand when the big realignment poker game finally happens.

I don't really know much about the law and conference affilliation. I do know that there are buy-out clauses in conference by-laws. I do know as well that Miami, BC, and Syracuse will follow the letter of those by-laws and pay their penalties on the way to presumed future wealth.

The lawsuit by 5 current Big East teams seems a bit desperate. They are basing them on "promises" BC and Miami had made in the past. We'll see how enforceable these "promises" are, I suspect this will not pose much of a barrier to reshuffling. It is instructive to note that Syracuse made no such promises.

I think you are right that time would strengthen the Billikens position.

Did not mean to imply that I thought such a lawsuit has much chance of success. In fact, I think it has a very low probability. However, if this thing can get dragged out for just a few more months, it probably means that football schedules are set for the 2004-2005 year and formalization of the move will have to wait another year. You will note that the case was filed in state court: "state Superior Court in Hartford, Conn.". The plaintiffs obviously hope to get some hometown sympathy from a local, state judge in Connecticut. It does increase the chances of getting a TRO (temporary restraining order) or preliminary injunction out of a state judge in an aggrieved state. But a TRO only buys a few months until a formal hearing where substantive evidence must be presented. I agree that the suit is desparation to buy time ... but if this thing can get put off for a year I think it helps SLU. It would be nice.