Jimmy McKinney - Bye Bye Mizzou???

Usually just read the posts to stay up to date on the Billie bball info.

Hadn't seen any posts on this yet but on the 10pm KSDK 5 sports report tonight Malcom Briggs reported that Jimmy McKinney is considering leaving Mizzou after being offended by Quin's remarks earlier this week during an interview on KFNS 590AM. Quin stated that since he has taken over the program they have been unable to land very few top notch recruits. I would be stunned if this actually caused McKinney to transfer BUT he sure would look good in Billiken blue.

Who knows whether there is any truth to these rumors.

It would be great to see Jimmey and his buddy Polk reunite to star in the backcourt at the new SLU arena located only a few blocks from Vashon.

Maybe Nick Kern could even get his act together and this year's recruits could include Polk, McKinney, and Kern. Of course, this would never happen, but it's fun to think about.

McKinney isn't going anywhere. If that is truly what Briggs reported, I'm sure Quin will smooth over any misunderstandings very quickly. While Mizzou has come close on some elite recruits, it's true that they have not closed the deal on any of them. However that doesn't mean Quin doesn't think the world of McKinney... You're just trying to stir something up...

I didn't see the 10:00 news so I can't comment on the report about McKinney, but the fact that it was on KSDK gives it more validity imo since Cusumano is at KSDK, and he traditionally is the first one to break any news about Vashon players.

If anyone can catch Frank's radio show tommorow morning, it'll probably be an interesting show.

With all this said, I have to think that he'd need more than Quin just making a stupid remark on the radio to transfer.

Let's just wait and see.

Mckinney is being overly sensitive if this is true. Cusumano asked them about Kleiza and Quin talked about how he's missed on some elite prospects lately (mentioned Famutimi and David Lee) and it was good to get one. I didn't take that as a shot to Mckinney but maybe he did. Hopefully they'll be able to work out any possible problem. Quin just needs to avoid the STL media. He can't seem to win with them.

I love Jimmy McKinney, and I hope he stays at Mizzou and helps that program get to the Final Four and win a National Championship, and I think he's got the potential to be a very good player at Mizzou, having a career among the top five to ten guards. Nevertheless, McKinney was not an elite recruit. He was not a Top 10 or Top 20 recruit. Nor, obviously, was he a national freshman of the year type. (If you made me pick Larry Hughes or McKinney, I'd take Hughes before you could even get the Mac out of your mouth.)

The thing that Jimmy needs to realize is that just because you weren't an elite recruit doesn't mean that you can't become an elite player (and on the flip side, some extremely highly-touted recruits never become elite players -- I seem to remember that Travon Bryant was a McDonald's All-American, but I've yet to see him consistently perform at a level that proves he deserve(d/s) that honor). McKinney should allow Coach Snyder's (probably) unintended slight to motivate himself to demonstrate that, though he may not have been an "elite" recruit, he will be an elite player. And he should do it at Mizzou.

Of course, I wouldn't be at all mad if he would decide to transfer to SLU (you'll recall that that's where I wanted him to go in the first place).

This report was on 2,4&5 last nite and one of the stations reported that Mckinney had already met with his old high school coach Floyd Irons about the situation, if he gets involved just about anything could happen.It seems to me that there are two possibilities to this, one would be that it has been way overblown and the other is that the radio interview is just the tip of the iceberg and there may be more problems concerning Mckinney and Snider.

On Tuesday evening around 5:40, Demitrius Johnson called into the Claiborne show on KFNS and went on a rant about the interview with Quinn than morning. He said he was really offended and that this was a huge insult. I did not continue to listen to the whole call so I don't know how it ended. I also did not hear the interview with Quinn. I did find it difficult to believe that Quinn could have said anything so outrageous that it would fire up Demitrius the way it did.

From what has been said, it sounds like the rumors of Mckinney's leaving may have come from Floyd and/or Demitrius. I wonder if Mckinney has even heard the comments directly. Likely, he heard someone's interpretation. Mckinney may not be in a position to think or speak for himself at this point.

>McKinney isn't going anywhere. If that is truly what Briggs

>reported, I'm sure Quin will smooth over any

>misunderstandings very quickly. While Mizzou has come close

>on some elite recruits, it's true that they have not closed

>the deal on any of them. However that doesn't mean Quin

>doesn't think the world of McKinney... You're just trying

>to stir something up...

Spoken like a true Mizzou tool. While McKinney is at Mizzou, in AJ's eyes he is better than Larry Hughes and Marque Perry ever were. If he were to transfer to SLU or any other place, suddenly he would be regarded as a bust. Sort of like Triangle and Too's sudden fascination with Randy Pulley in reverse. These Mizzou nerds crack me up!

Quin will straighten this out in a week. This is no biggie. While I agree that McKinney should have thicker skin, he just wants to be shown a little love from Quin. Typical elite athlete attitude, but that doesn't make him a bad person...

Thicks, I think you overlook the fact that Jimmy, who's a natural shooting guard, made a difficult transition to point guard. If the bad boy JUCO recruit, Pulley, can assume the starting point guard position, I think we'll see the true McKinney next year.

Who knows whether McKinney will transfer or not, but whatever is happening is not the result of anything started on this Board. I didn't hear the radio interview with Quin, but the radio program this morning did mention the possibility of a transfer and it did note McKinney had met with or spoken with Floyd Irons. While I was listening, one Mizzou caller said he wouldn't take any St. Louis black BB players (stating he isn't a racist, rather he doesn't like Irons et al.). These things aren't exactly endearing to the powers that be.

There are definitely some fragile psyches out there.

I think this is the work of Demitrious Johnson. He was ranting and raving about Snyder's comments on 2 different shows on KFNS. I'm sure he told Irons of the comments and it got back to Mckinney out of context. Both reports of this gave no quotes from anyone involved so until I hear this out of Mckinney's mouth, I'm not buying it.

I'm pretty sure that I heard Martin Kilcoyne say at the end of the Foxhole today that Vashon coach Floyd Irons will be on during the first hour of tommorow's show. The show is on 1380 AM from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm. My guess is that it could be an interesting interview.

EDIT: Now I'm not too sure if he was on today or will b on yesterday. I caught the end of the show, so if anyone else heard this, their input would be appreciated.

I hear the Quin interview live on the radio and percieved no slight to any player. All Quin said was that Mizzou had not been able to pick any "big time" recruits ie MCD's all americans. Kleiza happened to be a MCD AA, the only other one Quin has signed was Travon. I felt if anything Quin made a self deprecating remark, saying he had struck out on some "big time" guys like Lee, Famitumi etc.

Immediately after the interview Demetrius Johnson called in and blasted Quin on the air saying he had disrespected not only McKinney, but Paulding, Johnson, and asst Tony Harvey. I thought what he was saying was ridiculous and Frank and even Tim Mckernan thought it was too. Obviously Johnson got to McKinney on the subject. If McKinney is whining about this my view on him has completely changed. If he is such a baby maybe he doesn't belong in a tiger uniform, if McKinney did leave I certainly would not want his me-first attitude in a billiken uniform.