More major arena news

A bowling alley, even! Who knew?

"Saint Louis University is considering developing a residential, office and retail center near the school's proposed basketball arena, scheduled for completion in 2005.

"The development, not unlike the Ballpark Village concept the Cardinals have proposed as part of their new stadium, would likely feature restaurants, apartments, business offices and entertainment venues, such as a movie theater or a bowling alley....

"The arena and the proposed mixed-use development would be located in a roughly four-square-block grid bordered on the north by Washington Avenue, on the south by Olive Street, on the east by Leonard Avenue and on the west by Theresa Avenue. The site lies just across Olive Street from a large parking garage on the SLU campus near North Compton Avenue."

See the link for the full story:

http://stlouis.bizjournals.com/stlouis/sto.../02/story1.html

My how things have changed in the last 10-15 years. This will be a big upgrade from the days when a student's near-campus entertainment choices were (a) a dangerous walk to Humphrey's, or (B) a really dangerous walk to BBC. For some reason, the walk never seemed as dangerous on the way home.

I like the sound of that. This is exciting! I'm glad that there aren't any ugly abandoned warehouses on the site or Vinny S. might like to see them put to better use than a stadium. The last time I was this pumped as a Billiken Fan, Larry Hughes was the cause.

rich, i too was p.o'd when vince the mayor wouldnt let kiel be built across from the ballpark where those horrible warehouses were. but you have to hand it to vince now, the westin turned out gorgeous imo. the man had some forsight, he just didnt have the right developers lined up at the time.

father biondi has never let old buildings stop him before in his rebirthing efforts i doubt anyone would stop him now. he's on a roll, let him run.

From the way it sounds, this "Basketball Village" will be built concurrently with the arena. If everything goes according to plan with the arena, I would graduate in the first May commencement in the arena. I really like the idea of the Basketball Village because it will continue to improve the area surrounding the SLU campus, which will really help the perception of the school from a visitors standpoint.