fyi re: Kalen Grimes

I was just over at the Rivalshoops site, and read a premium story about Kalen Grimes (the Eagles played a Florida team with a high profile big man in the Nike tournament). Anyway, they spoke to him about his recruitment, and he said that he was going to take visits to his top five schools, and listed Kansas, Illinois, Missouri (you can all boo and hiss here), Kentucky and SLU. I thought you guys would want to hear this since his previous lists of five did not include SLU.

The bad news is that he said KU is his favorite right now, and the gossip on most of the MU boards and other recruiting boards is that Kalen's family has been enamored with Coach Self from the start. They only ray of light with him for MU and SLU is that his parents want him to play close to home. Allegedly, if Self were still at Illinois, the deal would have been a slam dunk. Now that Self is at Kansas, the Grimes family would be looking at a 10 hour round trip for all of his home games. I think this fact could be of some help for SLU or MU.

Good luck on this one. I would much rather lose him to you guys than lose him to either the Jayhawks or the Fighting Illness.

estiger

Thanks for the info on Grimes. From everyting I have read (I know information from message boards is not the most accurate source of information)and heard I would be surprised if Grimes didn't end up at KU. As far as Mizzou goes, I think they are strong enough nationally they will bring in plenty of good talent they will not have too worry about not getting Grimes, especialy if they get Kleinza(sp).

grimes was/is not a slam dunk for the illini. they only have 2 scholarships to give next year is my understanding and shaun livingston is their top priority for sure. the fact illinois has an abundance of power forwards already probably didnt put kalem at the top of the list for the other prospect for illinois.

i am convinced grimes is still interested in slu. if he wasnt, i find it hard to believe that slu wouldnt have grabbed shaw by now.

We both threw around the idea on the cusa-talk board that the staff may not be offering any other big men besides Grimes. There aren't any athletic 6'8 255 lb power forwards in CUSA so Grimes has a chance to be an impact player his first year despite his poor fundamentals. Matt Shaw is clearly a more skilled basketball player but he would have to put on an additional 15 lb to be an impact player at the power forward.

None of the regular posters on this board has actually seen Vouyoukas, as far as I know. I wonder if he's better than we think, rendering an offer to Shaw unnecessary.

i also wonder if slu might still be in the hunt for taj gray. he had to like more than romar to have considered slu before.

broy, as previously stated, I really enjoy watching Shaw play and I continue to be impressed with the production he generates for being a 6-6 power forward. But before I would offer Shaw, I would have to be darn sure that there isn't a signable player out there that falls somewhere between Grimes and Shaw. I would take my chances on losing Shaw rather than making a offer too soon in the summer evaluation period.

gray will be a juco sophomore at redlands community college in oklahoma. he is about 6'8" tall and 220 lbs. he was a second team juco all-american last season as a freshman. only marcellus somerville was rated ahead of him last season as a juco freshman.

as a powerforward, there is no comparison. shaw is a pure power forward. unfortunately as tseugnekillib states, he is only about 6'6" tall. i have not seen any wing skills from shaw to even think he could play outside.

sloan is an never has been a power forward. he is a small forward playing inside and doing a credible job at it. this past year we saw chris start to make more of his outside shots as well.

what you get from shaw is a player that plays all out. rebounds and defends and runs the floor very well and jumps very well.

i am struggling for a previous billiken he compares to. maybe a more offensive minded david robinson?

One of the interesting things I've read about Shaw is how his brother grew a couple inches his senior year of high school.

If Matt grows more, he would be a big-time prospect.

He's still a very good player and he'll always be underrated because of his size. Even at 6-foot-6 or 6-7, I think he'll be an effective college player. The only question is where?

- Nate

Here's hoping that Matt grows one more inch before the November signing period.

A poster on supermizzou says that the Eagles only had 6 guys for the Memorial Day tournament in Bloomington. I know Shaw, Grimes, Price and Hansbrough were there but I don't believe Liddell was.

BTW, the World Championship for Junior National Teams, scheduled for July 10-20, is being moved from Malaysia to Greece because of the SARs scare. Hopefully Vouyoukas will get some PT and get to play in his own backyard.

THrus day the 29th and no sign of SLU in Grimes list. Of course the accuracy of this report can be questioned because they list Grimes at 6'9!!!!!!!!!! Platform shoes and standing on his tip toes maybe.