Fact or fiction...

This is a quote from Andy Katz's article on ESPN:

"Marquette already has denied a report that Charlotte, Saint Louis, Marquette and DePaul would stick together and move as a block to another conference if Conference USA was poached by the Big East. Atlantic 10 Conference officials discussed expansion at a meeting last week. But if Conference USA or the A-10 went after any Big East leftovers, those two conferences could become too big."

So what's the real story?

Here's the link:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/columns/katz_andy/1557259.html

i wouldnt want to be the guy that double crosses father biondi. ask the pope what kind of businessman our leader is.

Fact - Marquette would like to remain with DePaul and SLU.

Fiction - Marquette will turn down overtures from another conference (namely the Big East) if SLU and DePaul are not included.

Marquette is in a position of power right now because of their Final Four run and marketability. 3 years ago things were different but now Marquette is a whole lot more attractive nationally. They have traditionally had a strong presence on the East Coast which makes them attractive to the Big East. Right now SLU, DePaul and Charlotte need Marquette much more than Marquette needs them - harsh but true.

Hello, new to the Board although I've been a "lurker" for some time. You have a good group of posters. It will definitely be interesting to see where SLU ends up after any conference reorganizations take place.

As to Billiken Roy's point, Fr. Biondi's rather uncomfortable position with the Vatican also cost him some supporters among SLU alumni. Oh well, the "Jesuit" mission doesn't always seem to be the "Catholic" mission. Nevertheless, Fr. Biondi certainly seems capable of pushing the limits to meet his objectives.

The proposed Catholic Conference would be very beneficial to SLU, in terms of atheletic and academic recognition. Given Fr. Biondi's admiration of Georgetown, I believe he will be working especially hard behind the scenes lobbying his east coast bretheren.

I agree 100%. Do you think Marquette will be making a mistake in the long-run if they abandon their conference ties to SLU and DePaul--both of which appear to be programs on the rise--in favor of an almost exclusively east coast conference?

MU would prefer to remain with DePaul - they are one or our olders and most bitter rivals. Would it be a mistake for MU to abandon SLU and DePaul? Probably not, depending on what the conference looks like. The worry is that if they stick with DePaul and SLU and reject overtures from the Big East the conference that is formed is a glorified MVC which would be a major step backwards for MU.

By the way, I believe MU was invited to join the Big East when it was first formed but turned them down - wanted to stay independent. Then when independents were made obsolete they were forced to join the MVC which set the program back a few years. If only the GMC hadn't merged with the Metro....

i agree david. if marquette strikes out on their own, they better be prepared for midwest recoil. if what billiken law says is true, it is amazing how soon they forget where they were. with the way on court success can change so quickly with the coming and going of one or two players, and arguably the best player in marquette history about to go on to the nba after a successful two year run, i hope marquette isnt about to step on themselves.

still father biondi holding his ground versus the vatican on the sale of the hospital garnered tens of millions of dollars for the university plus maintained their ties to the facility teaching wise. imo, father biondi might be the biggest business shark in town. he seems to get what he wants one way or the other eventually.

Roy, the thing to remember is that Marquette has always tied their success to the East Coast and that the formation of the Big East was one of the reasons MU fell from national power status in the 80's. It isn't that MU is saying "to hell with SLU, DePaul and Charlotte," instead they are taking stance that they are going to do what is best for the program and if that means going off on their own to the Big East or staying in a watered down CUSA with SLU, DePaul and Charlotte then obviously they have to take the first option.

I know MU would prefer to remain in a conference with DePaul and SLU.

My bad, the MCC (typo). However, the MCC then was much stronger than the MCC/Horizon is now with Dayton, SLU, Xavier, Evansville, et al. I remember when I was looking at Evansville as a HS senior to play tennis they made the move to the MVC and I wondered why - it seemed to be a step down at the time but obviously it wasn't.