Where's the PD

slu72

opinion on what is going on with the big shake up in conferences? Can you imagine if this was about the big 12 or big 10? Coverage would surpass the Cardinals. Yet besides one article that didn't really say much, mum's the word.

All that said, here's my best guess as to what will shake out of this mess. Assumes Miami, BC, and Syracuse go ACC.

AN ALL BB CONFERENCE WITH THE EAST AND MIDWEST DIVISIONS.

East: Georgetown, Prov, St.John's, Nova, St. Joes, and maybe Seton Hall. Umass has a football team why would this make sense to them?

Midwest: SLU, DePaul, Dayton, XU, Marquette, ND(if they stay independent in FB it makes sense for them)with Creighton as a back up.

This conference has rivalries all over the place and if the powers that be can't see them we should all start questioning our leadership. Plus the common threads of these schools is unbelievable. Here is a window of opportunity to really create a Great Conference. One big advantage: We won't have to be suspicious of FB schools because there aren't any. It is going to take a hell of a deal for a conference to woo ND out of their package so for all practical purposes they are a hoops only school as far as this conference is concerned.

REST OF CUSA and rest of Big East and others.

Memphis, UL, UC, Temple, Rutgers, Pitt, WVU, Conneticut, Virginia Tech, UMass, ECU, Army, and Navy. 12 Schools east of the Mississippi. Some really natural rivalries. UC vs Pitt and WVU. UL vs WVU, Of Course Army and Navy. Also, very solid Hoops programs. One conference has Memphis, UC, UL, WVU, VTech, and ECU. Temple, Pitt, Rutgers, Uconn, Umass, Army, and Navy. Five schools were in the NCAA last year and Temple, WVU, and Umass were down. Granted Army and Navy don't bring much to the table hoops wise but every conference has their doormats.

Now granted this doesn't do much for Charlotte, but there are going to be a lot of teams in CUSA and the A-10 looking for a new home and they could jump in there.

>. Umass has a football team why would this make

>sense to them?

UMass has I-AA football team (won the national title a few years ago) and will NOT be upgrading any time soon.

Also, you apparently have not noticed that Charlotte has linked its future with SLU, DePaul, Marquette.

The Big East is goint to TRY to stay together (as any conference would but what makes their effort more salient is that they already have a bunch of TV deals in place with a higher likelihood of renewal than any of the others). This makes it MORE likely that if the Big East and C-USA football schools get together (more likely as Big East than in C-USA) the basketball teams may stay. Even if the Big East basketball schools form a new conference (or with ND inherit the Big East name) they may not look west. That is where UMass, St. Joe's Rhode Island, Richmond all come into play.

>Midwest: SLU, DePaul, Dayton, XU, Marquette, ND(if they stay

>independent in FB it makes sense for them)with Creighton as

>a back up.

I don't think ND is in this mix but I do think the rest of this combination will end up together IF the football schools shut them out AND the Big East basketball schools stay with an eastern focus. With SLU, Marquette, DePaul, and Charlotte together they only need to lure 4 more to form a solid conference.

the more i think about it, i think the big east and conference usa will more or less join forces and one will become a basketball conference the other will be a football conference. too much invested in these two conferences to let them die. plus a new conference wouldnt have ncaa automatic bid privledges. who is going to suffer out of this is the a-10 is my opinion as the likes of dayton and/or xaiver will get the opportunity to move up.

I don't think a Catholic Conference will happen. I think the Big East will remain after losing Miami, BC & Syracuse. I could see them adding Louisville, Cincinnati for both FB & BB and then moving UConn in for FB and Temple in for BB(since UConn is already in w/ BB & Temple in w/ FB). This would leave them at 12 for BB & 8 for FB which is where they are at now. I don't think they will try to get to 12 for FB, which would cause the conference to breakup. CUSA would then have to decide if it wants to be an 8 team FB conference and an 11 team BB conference or something else. I do think if CUSA loses Cin & Louisville the rest of the conference won't last much longer together and will be looking to move up/out but I don't think it would be figured out for another year or so.

I disagree. Based upon the articles I have read and the quotes from persons associated with the Big East schools, I don't expect to see the five basketball-only schools in the Big East two years from now. It appears to be clear to all persons involved that the current mixture of football and basketball-focused schools does not work well.

I think the Big East is going to try and stay together. I don't think the BB only schools want to risk losing Pitt and UConn. I have read that UConn has a new stadium paid for by the state and want to get into bigtime football (they are a new independent now for FB). West Virgina, Pitt, Virgina Tech, and Rutgers is a good start of a football conference. Temple already pays football in Big East so adding them for basketball just makes since. Adding UConn's football while probably weak at this point aspires to be better and since already in conference with basketball again just makes since. This brings the number to six, raiding CUSA for a couple schools that play both makes the most since.

Now if Pitt would move to the Big 10 then I think the Catholic conference could happen. My guess is that the Big East is trying to stay together, but I would also think the Pitt has checked with the Big 10 also. I heard on the radio somewhere where they were speculating on Penn State would moving to the Big East, then only one CUSA team would be plucked. Until the 3 schools(Miami) makes their decision we just won't know.