Response to Billiken of C-USA Talk (re: Burke)

Billiken wrote:

Ritter's Kenny Burke announced, at least tenatively, that he will join Carbondale's Maurice Gibbs at Moberly JC next year. He is still holding out hope of a mid level D-1 offer. Currently he has offers in hand from Evansville and Western Illinois. He will visit Northern Arizona after this month's graduation. [Earlier this year someone posted that Arizona was interested in Burke. Guess they forgot the N.]

You may be referring to me. I posted that, while at the Normandy Tournament, I'd talked to a spectator who is the father of a Ritter player (JV last season, though). He told me that Kenny Burke was going to Arizona and that Terry Evans would be going to Oklahoma. If anyone forgot the "N.," it was he, not I. Also, we'll see how correct he was about Evans.

If Burke (wasn't he the Post-Dispatch POY?) has an offer from Evansville, why is he holding out for "a mid-level D-1 offer"?

They simply play in a mid-major conference. That team almost dropped to Div II. I certainly understand why Burke wouldn't want to play there. Can you imagine living in Evansville for 4 years. I hope you're wrong about Evans to Oklahoma. I know SLU is targeting Liddell, but this Evans could be special. I'm sure he'll bounce back next year.

i would be shocked to see evans sign at a school the size of oklahoma unless he proves he is fully recovered from his injury. he didnt even dress this weekend at the eagles tourney and some of the people there say he is far from being recovered. his injury is far more permanent than what polk's injury. thus to get a scholarship offer at this time is risky at best for any program let alone a recent top 10 basketball program like oklahoma.

as to the knock on evansville, the fact they are in the mvc alone makes it far from a division II school. i dont know what your knock against the city is, but i can think of worse places. it is about equidistance from louisville, st louis and indianapolis, and from a quick drive through the city once, i didnt see it as a bad city. there are far worse places to be stuck at imo. think utah state or idaho or alaska or montana where there are more people in st louis that the whole states of the likes of those places.

Agreed, went to several games there in the MCC days. That was a nice arena with great fan support. UE was a good rival especially in basketball and soccer. I can think of a lot worse places to go than to play in the MVC in front of 10k. I look to Merfeld to make some noise over there.

UE is one of the few MVC teams I would like to see SLU playing again.

I almost went to UE for undergrad - really nice campus, nice, mid-sized city, great arena to play in, good local support. They had a nice run in the 90's, I think they made the NCAA 3 times. The discussions of them dropping from D-1 revolved around the fact they are one of the smallest D-1 schools and there were funding problems. However, I think the whole thing was a ploy to get big-time boosters to pony up financial support and it worked.