Someone e-mailed this to me

Someone e-mailed this to me concerning my "What is a Billiken?" Page:

Dear web. master,

It was originally created in 1908 by the Craftsman's Guild in Highland Park Illinois. It seems to be based directly on the Japanese "Piriken or "Pilliken" of Osaka

The Billiken was created in 1908 in USA, and it came to Japan in around 1910. In 1912, the Luna ParkA

a Japanese version of Disney Land was eastablished in Osaka. In the "white tower" in the

Luna Park, this american god was enshrined, and therefore, it is clear that American Billiken was not based

on the Japanese " Piriken " of Osaka. He is a true-born american.

I have one question. The Craftsman's Guild in Highland Park Illinois was making some Billiken dolls for

E.I. Horsman Co. ? It is very clear that they are distributedf and sold by E.I. Horsman Co.

Another publication of your University says that Dorothy Jean Ray, writer and historian found the secret

of Billiken. It is very clear that it was originated by Florence Pretz.

The popular belief about Billiken in Japan and osaka are also confusing. One od them is "Billiken was

created by an american lady sculptor E.I. Horsman base on a figure which appreared in her dream !

This is an invention which we Japanese like. There are too many such legends in Japan.

Craftsman's Guild of what ? the dolls or wood carvings, or ceramics ? This is my

another question.

Yours sincerely,

Hiroaki Sasaki

----------------------------

Anyone know of Billiken evidence before 1908?