Sad News

Not to intrude upon the gravity of that news, but you've repeated a common misconception about heart transplants.

> A heart transplant is good for about 10 years max. He got his 9 years ago.

My dad got his 20 years ago this October, and I daresay the life expectancy for someone who got a heart at age 60 is even more problematic than for younger people.

>Not to intrude upon the gravity of that news, but you've

>repeated a common misconception about heart transplants.

>

>> A heart transplant is good for about 10 years max. He got his 9 years ago.

>

>My dad got his 20 years ago this October, and I

>daresay the life expectancy for someone who got a heart at

>age 60 is even more problematic than for younger people.

Where in this post do you state a fact that contradicts the 10 years max comment? Just because your dad lives for 20 years doesn't mean the average isn't closer to 10 years. I don't know if it is or isn't, but just because your dad lived longer doesn't make it a "common misconception".

That is truly sad to hear. Justin's health was always a huge motivator for Larry- staying home to go to SLU, leaving early to go pro and pay his brother's medical bills, and keeping his family close wherever he went. The playoffs will certainly take a back seat now, and SLU fans wish Larry and his family all the best.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Hughes out after brother's death

Larry Hughes has taken an undetermined leave from the Cavaliers following the death of his brother, Justin, earlier today.

Cavaliers GM Danny Ferry released this statement:

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Vanessa, Carrie, Larry and the entire Hughes family during this very difficult time. Justin Hughes touched all of us in a special way with his resilient life. Life sometimes helps put the proper perspective on basketball, and this is one of those occasions. Now is a time for Larry to be with his family as they deal with the loss of Justin. The timetable for Larry's return to the Cavaliers has not been determined. The Cavaliers would like to encourage donations to The Larry Hughes Family Foundation as they continue their support of donors and recipients of organ transplants." - Danny Ferry, Cavaliers General Manager

Justin was born with a heart defect. Click here for more information on The Larry Hughes Family Foundation.