JUCO's

I wish we would stop recruiting Juco's. I know we are recruiting a need but our luck has been terrible. Off the top of my head I can't think of any Juco who has a difference besides Love and Jeffers. It's just not worth the effort that is put it. Freshmen only.

i think frericks, dobbs and turner were good jucos as well, however for the most part, i agree. we would be better off just building long term.

I disagree. Recruiting a JUCO forward was a good idea from the start. Otherwise, we're counting on JJ and two freshmen, one coming off a massive knee injury, to perform at the 4. If Ian doesn't come back, we can't play a 4-guard style this year. Lance may not be a real 4, but at least he's tall enough to guard one. Plus, he's a shooter, and I don't know if you've looked at our shooting percentage recently, but it isn't impressive.

Bottom line: JUCO players are at least one, generally 2, years removed from high school, so they are more physically developed and seasoned against a higher level of play.

I agree that rarely do you find a JUCO that is a real difference maker. I also think it will probably be even less often with prep schools now fixing the academics for kids in one year without those kids losing any college time.

I think we do need to continue to look at JUCO kids because they help fill in gaps where we need extra depth or when kids transfer out and we need to even up our recruiting classes. I think Brad has realized his problems with JUCOs in the past and is now looking for JUCOs that will not have problems getting into SLU. The main JUCOs we looked at this year, Stemler and Walls, did not have academic problems, they went JUCO to get playing time.

By the way I would also like to add Kenny Brown to the list of decent JUCO players we had. A 2 year starter at center on a couple of good teams, we certainly needed him and while he wasn't a star we would not have been very good without him either.