soccer folks....

I can't remember if I posted this or not....but Indiana defeated the World Champion Under 17 Mexico team 2-0 in a wild raucous atmosphere spring game which was attended by almost 6000.

...btw...MLS Commissioner Garber said this week that he is still in talks with investors for an expansion St. Louis team, and it is very clear and understood that they would be building a new stadium in exchange for the rights to a team.

If StL does get an expansion MLS team why couldn't SLU add 3,000 seats to their stadium. The MLS team could play on campus and SLU could make some $; showcase the campus and stadium thereby increasing interest in Billiken soccer.

SLU doesn't want to make the nessecary upgrades to hermann stadium for a team to play there.

Folks this stadium will be 20,000 plus. The MLS doesn't let in teams without a stadium that big. It will go somwhere on the east side, hopefully near fairmount and the race track. The ticket tax in stl makes it impossible for a soccer team to go there or for investors to build a stadium and make a profit.

First of all....the IU sucks stuff isn't what I was hoping for ....for people involved in this new fan group. I have MUCH higher expectations for cleverness and class.

Second....any MLS team or future team with plans of new stadium would have to build a MINIMUM 20k seater....25-30k may even be more like it.

If STL received a team...they could play virtually anywhere for a very very brief 1-2 year period etc....while constructing a new stadium. Who cares where that would be??? What matters is building a stadium, for the long permanent home. I don't understand on all these forums etc...what about SLU? etc....The team would play at a temporary site for a very brief time. It isn't a big deal.

The ONLY long term solution is a soccer specific stadium 20-30k seats....end of story....and temproarily they could play in someon'e backyard(kidding of course) for all I care.

I have doubts they will get the 08 team...though very possible....and they may have to wait a few more years.....but it is only a matter of time for STL to get a team...will it be in two years or 5-6 ...? We'll see.

1. My previous comment is just in that we are the SLU soccer supporters, meaning that, by default, we hate any team the Billikens play. That's the nature of being an 'ultra' or 'hooligan.'

2. I read something a while back (can't remember the source) that said SLU has no interest in playing host to an MLS team in St. Louis at Hermann Stadium. Personally, I think it would tear up the field, cause logistical problems (such as increased seating) and also cause a parking nightmare. Obviously, SLU would have a lot to gain from the venture, but I think MLS and whoever the potential investor is want to own their stadium. That's been the recent business plan behind all these new soccer-specific stadiums in the USA. MLS was LOSING money by renting out facilities like the Rose Bowl, Soldier Field, and the Cotton Bowl.

3. My hope is that a stadium will be built on the Missouri side of the Miss. River. I understand the low cost of building in Metro East, but it's ingrained within most St. Louisians that the East side is 'bad' for various reasons. It would be detrimental on various accounts for the MLS team to call Metro East home. The City/County of Saint Louis needs to find a place for a team to play.

Seems like a great place to build a new stadium would be up around Sportport. Hell why not tear down those fields and put the stadium there? Most people in the club world know that those fields are below pathetic. Otherwise, another reason for that area is the ample land and the fact that two clubs - Scott Gallagher and MetroStrikers - will be building their own soccer complexes out there just south of Page. I think it would be rather cool to have a huge soccer zone in that area Probably a pipe dream.

Anyway, who all is going to the Creighton-SLU game on Saturday? Looks like it will be agreat evening for soccer.

St Louis county is a mess. To build something like that you would need a municipality to step up and give major concessions to the builder or pick a place in unincorporated county, which is geting scarcer and scarcer. There isn't a city in the county that 1. Has the money 2. Land 3. the wherewithal to put together a stadium deal.

When would the MLS season take place??? If it's in the Spring, ok, but mind you we have Men's and Women's soccer in the fall. I don't think the MLS would tear up the field, as our Herm is meticulously cared for by our Grade A Groundscrew, but it would be to SLU's advantage to build up seating on the North side of the field (near the main entrance) and perhaps build permanent seating on the East side (just the same as the West/Press Box side of the field that could wrap around the North grandstand near the baseball field, which could have concessions, restrooms as well. If Legion 1818 could have a permanent location on that East grandstand in the middle, that would be ideal, then when the opponent's goaltender is tending the South goal (back to the Grand Forest Apt), we could have 1818 Hooligans yelling and screaming at him. Add a couple of guys with bongo drums and a goat painted blue, we'd be money.

Sorry but that field was in sorry shape at the end of last year. I don't think it could handle men soccer, women's soccer, and an MLS team at the same time. There's too many horror stories around this town of pristine fields being overused and turning into lousy fields. Just go up to Sportport's or SCCYSA's fields anyday. SLYSA is a different matter.