A10 Baseball (& a little help from the Cardinals)

kevinfootes

Does anybody have info on the A10 as a baseball conference? I've been hoping for years that SLU could turn the baseball program around. Who are the top teams?

Here's a thought...at one point (and I'm not sure if it still happens) the Red Sox permitted Boston College to spend spring break week at their complex in Florida. BC would travel down there but then get to play "home" games. It would really be cool if Biondi could work out some kind of deal with the Cardinal ownership.

The A10 is a much worse baseball conference that CUSA. CUSA was very strong throughout, with a lot of talent being drafted each year. The A10 is usually a one bid conference. The good news is that I think the SLU baseball team should be much more competitive in the A10. SLU was never going to compete against the Tulane, Houston, E Carolinas in CUSA so moving away from those schools is for the best.

I did a quick check on RPI from last year and SLU fit right in the middle of the A10. SLU did graduate a number of players especially their position players. I am not really sure what to expect this year, but am hoping for around 500% record in conference.

I wasn't able to get to any games last year but did make it to a couple the year before and really enjoyed them. Plenty of room around the stands to let the kids run and play and couldn't beat the price of admission--free.

Back in the early '70's we had that arrangement with the Cardinals. We would bus it down to St. Pete and stay at the Sheraton complex where many of the Cardinal players stayed (remember this was long before free agency took away the team concept). we would drive over to their minor league training complex every day, work out with the farmhands, play them in games, participate in the drills and even eat lunch with them. It was a great experience and invaluable as a learning tool. Plus, a lot of the other teams' scouts got to see us perform.

I think now they take a southern trip during spring break, but only play games against other colleges.

Baseball America believes SLU will finish dead last in the conference. The conference is split into two divisons, an east and west division.

Conference USA is a better conference but SLU fits better in the A-10. SLU couldn't recruit the players to compete in C-USA. They might be able to recruit the players to compete in the A-10.

George Washington is the team to beat. Dayton and Charlotte are also pretty good.

Baseball America says that GW will be the only tournament team.

SLU's coach, Bob Hughes' career record is 313-569. That's 250 games under .500. I've heard he's done a lot for the university but it may be time for a change in coach.

The problem with SLU is that the baseball facilities aren't very good. It would be nice to improve those but it's also near impossible to recruit the better players because you only have so many scholarships for such a high tuition school without being traditionally that good.