2005 & 2006 A-10 Tourney in Cincinnati

Mobile-iken

i think that pretty much clinches the fact we are in for the a-10. just at the last billiken club meeting a group of us were excitedly (is that a word?) discussing how we would finally get to visit a different city other than louisville or cincy for the conference tourney and as luck would have it, the a-10 is going to cincy just in time for us.

:-)

sighhhhhhhh.

i swear, dayton could sell 10,000 tix to the finals of a 3rd grade basketball tourney. there are indeed basketball fans in the wilds of ohio.

I am not a fan, but were we really getting that much of a better deal in CUSA with Cincy, Memphis, Louisville, repeat... I mean, the tourney could be at GW or Umass. I would like to see someone drive there for the tourney (I would personally love it for the next 4 years. Hmm, just walk down the street for a Billiken game (OMG YES), but it will be just like C-USA. So I am not happy about it, but I mean it isn't much better than what we got.

Steve

My BRAIN is a little fried... Let me try again.

In C-USA for the past few years, the dominate teams (Louisville, Cincy, and Memphis) got a home court advantage in the conference tourney. By having the A-10 tourney in Cincy, Dayton and Xavier are getting the Home Court almost. Therefore, it doesn't really change things much for SLU.

If CUSA were to remain intact, we would be going to Memphis, Louisville, and Cincy all the time. The homes of Dominate teams.

If we are in the A-10, we are going to Cincy. Home of Xavier, and near Dayton, so it is a home court to the dominate teams.

So I don't really like it, but it is no different than C-USA right now. Also, it could be much worse in the A-10. The tourney could be on the east coast, instead of the midwest.

Does that make more sense?

If you ask me a question about Fredrick the Great, Automaton, or Young Italy, maybe I can make some more sense.

Sorry,

Steve

Having the tournament in Cincinnati will be a big plus for Xavier as it was for Dayton last year. That is not an excuse for Xavier because we lost to Temple of all people. But realistically, Dayton was third best team in the A-10 last year. It is definitely not an easy place to play. Their fans do make a difference. By the way, the tournament was awarded to U S Bank Arena, not Xavier. Maybe the Savis Center can hold open a couple days in March three years from now. Wouldn't that pi$$ off the Philadelphia folks.

it would probably conflict with a tractor pull or disney on ice. god fobid tiger bill laurie would have to make the savvis available for anything slu affiliated.

seriously, when st louis hosted the cusa tourney, it was one of the poorest attended tourney's in cusa/gmc history. the st louis fans didnt come out to watch. until our own billiken fan base rabidly follows the team throughout the tourney, we dont deserve the tourney.

Methinks that if the Savvis held it, it would very nearly duplicate the "success" described above about the "crowds" in Philly.

It will be interesting to see the "crowds" in Cincy if X or Dayton are not in the finals. Same is true for the Bills in Savvis. I sincerely doubt big "throngs" follow GW, UMass, Duquesne, St. Bonnie, Temple or anyone else in that league. Now send them thousands of miles outside their geo area and see how much smaller they become. I know X fans used to halve the UD Arena in old MCC days but I doubt they make the trips en masse to the nether regions of the A-10. You X guys are free to correct me if I'm wrong.

UD sells out because ... well, you ever been to Dayton? I like the twon but there's not much else to do there and there's very little big time competition .... and don't say Wright State. College basketball is king at UD and in Dayton. I suspect their boosters do one heck of a job otherwise as well .... look at the attendance at the 64/65 game.

My answer would be like the old MCC days ... when the tourney was always at neutral Market Square Arena in Indy. Of course, that suffered financially and we all know the gawd almighty dollar is driving the football moves to begin with. I jsut hate it when the host is the number seven or eight team and ride the home court advantage to the tourney automatic berth. That's about my only beef on that account.