What happened to Nicholas Kern

Frankly, another head case that would have sat next to JJ and kept him company. Kern washed out at what, two JUCOs and then got drafted by his hometown coach for his hometown minor league team? Pure speculation on some parts to think a) he could ahve made it, and B) he'd still be here ... graades, guns, minor league ball.

Discussing this guy and Ahearn don't do anyone any good. Let it go.

Really duz anyone know if this guy is okay?

He of course couldn't pass the ACT coming out of HS. Went to Indian Hills JC and lasted half a season there before taking off. I believe he was suspeded from the team once, then was going to be removed from eligibility, but just prior he skipped the bus home from a game and never came back.

Threatened to sue Floyd Irons and the Skyhawks management if they refused to allow him to play for their minor league pro team. He did play for them one season. Then he got shot leaving a liquor store in North St. Louis. Was shot in the stomach. This was probably over a year ago. I haven't heard anything about him since.

>I had heard he went the JUCO route then ended up playing pro

>ball for some team Floyd coached a couple of years ago.

>VTime would know or should know.

Out of high school he signed with SLU, but when Romar left he pulled his commitment. All of the other schools he was considering were done recruiting so he had to go the JUCO route to get back to major division 1 basketball. He was a top 100 player and wasnt gonna settle for a small div 1. So he signed with Mineral Area along with Vashon teammate Andre Aarons. Neither ever showed at Mineral Area, instead Kern enrolled at Indian Hills CC. He played a year and a half there. After becoming ineligible during the middle of his second season, he looked to explore the pro circuit as his only option and St. Louis Skyhawks coach Floyd Irons made Kern the #3 pick the 2004 USBL Draft. Kern averaged 8 ppg playing the sg and sf position. Those are solid numbers, he wasnt a bad pro at all. Some of his teammates on the Skyhawks were Justin Love and Lance Williams. The above mentioned Andre Aarons was a senior starter on the 2002 Championship team with McKinney and Kern and is having a solid sophomore season after finally enrolling in school with Kaskakia CC. Might be an interesting prospect. Also Indian Hills CC used their connection to Vashon thru Kern to land 6'3 combo guard Kenny Daniels. Hopefully he can bring his sharpshooting and athleticism to SLU in 2007. Daniels is also a great defender and passes like a pg. He averaged 4 apg for Vashon on a team with other great passers like Washington and B. Hill.

vtime said, "Out of high school he signed with SLU, but when Romar left he pulled his commitment. All of the other schools he was considering were done recruiting so he had to go the JUCO route to get back to major division 1 basketball. He was a top 100 player and wasnt gonna settle for a small div 1. So he signed with Mineral Area along with Vashon teammate Andre Aarons."

so you are saying academics had nothing to do with the reason he wasnt a 4 year school roster after romar left?

He didn't qualify. Another feather in your bonnet of incredible lack of credibility. Do I believe you talked to him? Sure. Do I believe he answered you as you claim he did? Sure. Do I know it to be true? Nope .....

VTime read my post below.

Kern did not qualify. If he had he would have been at SLU. Floyd Irons has said publicly he did not qualify.

Kern lasted less than half a season at Indian Hills, not one and a half. His semster there was marked by suspensions from the team. He failed to get on a bus ride home along with another teammate and never showed his face at Indian Hills again.

The following year he threatened litigation agaisnt the skyhawks and Floyd irons in order to allow him to play. Prior to that Floyd had a strict policy of not letting people on the Skyhawks who still had college eligibility remaining.

After playing a season marked with injuries Kern was shot outside a liquor store in North St. Louis. At that time his recovery time to get back on the court was going to be a long process. This was over a year ago and I have heard nothing nor seen nothing of him since.

Nick did not qualify. There were many other schools that would have taken him if he was a qualifier and looking for a new school when romar left. he declared he was leaving slu before hollins did and hollins wound up at UCLA and could have been with washington with romar.

no need to insult everyone's intelligence by making up things that are not true.

bad boyz for life

bonwich, any way you can find the post mention of kern not coming to slu? i could have sworn it was academic reasons.

>Really duz anyone know if this guy is okay?

>

>He of course couldn't pass the ACT coming out of HS. Went

>to Indian Hills JC and lasted half a season there before

>taking off. I believe he was suspeded from the team once,

>then was going to be removed from eligibility, but just

>prior he skipped the bus home from a game and never came

>back.

>

>Threatened to sue Floyd Irons and the Skyhawks management if

>they refused to allow him to play for their minor league pro

>team. He did play for them one season. Then he got shot

>leaving a liquor store in North St. Louis. Was shot in the

>stomach. This was probably over a year ago. I haven't

>heard anything about him since.

He played in the Bonner League and comes up to play at Harris-Stowe open gyms from 12-4 all the time. He says he qualified. His Bonner League teammates were Jimmy McKinney, Andre Aarons, I think Drejaj, but I dont remember. Drejaj might've been on the team with the Oppland twins. Husak also played in the Bonner League and so did Polk. Polk was on the same team as Justin Tatum.

VTime, if you want to make a career in sports journalism, you should start believing AND verifying statements.

There are certain behaviours that proceed logically. Nick is a good example, if you were to put yourself in his shoes. On one hand, you have an all expenses paid athletic scholorship to a respected four year university in your home town.

If you do qualify(a big if since you have spent multiple semesters at Vashon on academic probation, with the prohibition against participating in varsity sports,) you will still need to participate in the summer bridge program to strengthen your academic skills at Saint Louis.

If you don't qualify, you can go to a JUCO program, but you will need to obtain an associates degree and then attend a four year university which accepts that degree within a four year degree program.

Nick chose the latter, principally because he did not qualify, a fact borne out by his JUCO BBall coach, a relative, his high school counselor, and Coach Irons.

Legwork is a major asset when you finish at Harris Stowe, V. Whether you go to the St. Louis American, the Post, or almost any other reputable paper or media source, they want to feel comfortable that you have the knowledge and perseverance to seperate fact from fiction, and that you know how to vet your sources. In this case, your vetting failed.

I don't like to talk about rumors on this board, but there's a rumor going around that I might try to play in the Bonner League this summer.

I've got to lose some weight first, but I've got mad game: handles like Pete Maravich, jumper slightly better than Dwayne Polk, rebound like a 6-foot-2 version of Oliver Miller, defense like an orange traffic cone.

Stay tuned ... and watch out.

- Nate