Post 'Zona Thoughts

Taj79

Almost got that birthday wish for the want of a smalleer shoe size ...

Y'know, in the old days, with 12 seconds to go, the Bills would have dribbled that ball off their foot, had a turnover at midcourt and at best, gotten off a shot that looked perfect but ended up an airball. Instead, not only do all those things not happen, but we actually MAKE the shot only to have a toe on the line. What is more heartbreak city?????

I see where some are touting JFisher as the point guard. Frankly, this will HAVE to be the case ... as we have no one else. I think Josh is capable and Jimmy Dykes kept touting his fifth year toughness and how he shut Dwayne Wade down twice last year. Josh brings a tremendous presence to our overall game but he is not a point guard. But this team would be really struggling without him. Drejaj is also an extremely capable guard, but again not a point guard. Both will have to do, however.

RB's home debut appears to be that which legends are made of. Do I expect him to do that every night? No. But he seems to be closer to the player we all expected as opposed to the one we usually find. Overall brehms was right and RB will be an asset. I still don't expect that out of him each night right now .... rust is hard thing to scrape off.

Guys seem to be writing IO off more now than earlier. I thought he played an okay game for what he was in there. I also liked what I saw out of JJ. It seems to me that IO can be a role player at times. JJ has a greater upside and it might serve this team better in the long run to let him play and develop more as the year rolls on.

Again as someone else noted, Jimmy Dykes was all over the Soderberg defensive philosophy. All players off the ball had at least one foot in the lane to sage and crunch on defense. I think some were a little slow in getting out to cover but you'll have that. I don't think any one thing lost this game (short of some of the questionable calls 'Zona kept getting) except that we ran out of time. Had time continued (overtime) I suspect that we would have run out of players (fouls). Dykes also pointed out that he thought Frericks was a kid who invited fouls to be called on him. He was an all-state or something football player and had huge shoulders and legs. He was a foul waiting to happen ... and he noted how wrong that was of an assumption but that seemed to be the fact of the matter Saturday.

I like what Sloan adds to this club but short of the throw-down over Frye, he seemed to be caught up in trying too hard. However, without that super three-point play at the end, we don't cry over the size of a foot. Sometimes guys can do nothing all game and then at crunch time, they're huge. And despite outsizing UofA, we couldn't get much done on the inside. Seems like they were jumping jacks and we were mired stationary in cement.

As for attendance, that's just crap but that's St. Louis. What was the faux pas with the student busses? School's not out yet, is it? Again, Savvis is half empty. But Dykes also noted that there was a Blues game that night and they would be changing the floor over. You have to wonder what attendance would be at a night game, don't you? Our availability at Savvis just sucks in my opinion. I asked my season ticket question to McIlhagga and still no answer. From the TV cameras, you never saw the upper bowl albeit the end zones were sparse. How was the upper bowl seating? Anyone up there?

Looks like 3-and-3 heading into the Grambling game. Maybe 6 and 5 heading into conference. Anything above would require breaking the road habit we seem to always be in. Ian's first game back is what, the KState game. We are extremely short in the front court ..... Sloan and Varner are just a little small-ish. It would have been nice.

To all of those fans that did attend Saturday's game, but no excuse for anyone calling themsevlves a sports fan who did not attend. This shows the real fickle St. Louis sports fans. Oh well, it won't be long when Brad will have this program back in the NCAA Tourney, we'll have our on campus 13K seat palace, and tickets will be at a premium.

While I am a sports fan, I don't think that I have to go to every so-called big local sporting event to be a sports fan. So, according to your logic, if a person doesn't go to a Blues' seventh-game playoff game, he's not a true sports fan?

Moreover, I'm a basketball fan. Even so, I wasn't at the Arizona game. I likely WOULD have been there (whether or not I could afford it is the question) Saturday, if I could. But I had to be at Vashon with my team. How dare you question whether or not I'm a sports fan!

I was really impressed with the ESPN commentator's. For the most part, they actually knew what they were talking about. It seems many times in the past, they did no research and had nothing but negative things to say about the team. This time, the majority of the comments were pro SLU and they had some pretty good insight on the team. They loved Sodes and gave a lot of props to everybody....except for the "Frericks just looks like he's gonna foul" comment. But I kinda got a kick out of that...

Couple of things...

1. Anyone wonder why Darren Clarke didnt get a single minute of action?

2. The preliminary blues schedule had the blues playing at 2 in the afternoon and the 'zona game that evening. I think b/c ESPN 2 wanted the game, SLU worked with Kiel to get the game in the afternoon. Its a tough call....afternoon on nat tv? evening with (possibly) more support.

3. I dont think you will ever get an official answer to your season ticket question. Even when SLU had a base of about 12,000 they wouldnt release figures. That just seems to be their policy.

Bob Carpenter is a St. Louis guy who loves his home teams. I'm happy he's going to get to do some Cardinal games. Dykes was excellent. He really gave some incite into the game and what we were trying to do. It's too bad our local Charter guys can't do the same. They olny tell you the obvious.

... with everything you say here. My sole digression from this is that he is not the penetrator/distributor one needs at the point. This may or may not be his fault .... I fear that he is left with the same distribution outlets that Marque had before him. Maybe that will change now that Reggie Bryant is eligible.

My offer of proof lies in the fact that he does not lead the team (or has not in the past two games) in assists when those assist numbers were extremely small (3 @ WV and 4 against Zona). Some have mentioned that you need two and maybe three point guards to run a team. I think having three or four JFisher's on the court at the end is a desirable situation if and when we are holding a lead (at this point I don't know what his free throw percentage is and that is crucial down the home stretch). I think he protects the ball real well. I think his passes are accurate and true. I don't believe he is the answer as a true point guard.

He is, the best we have.

I was not at the game and am as big a sports fan as anyone ... I rarely miss a game unless work dictates it ... and that was the case Sat. If the game was Sat eve I would have been there

I understand your thoughts but be careful how you express them

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

... at the end of a game would be aces in my book. Nary a Kenny Brown. Nary a Tom Frericks. And, based on Saturday's game, maybe a CSloan but one who doesn't touch the ball on the offensive end until he shoots better than 60%. But weigh in on the westcoastballer's statement "...Fish is a great point guard ...."

Do you agree?

Darren will get his playing time in due time because he is athletic, a good shooter, and a hard worker. He still needs to adjust to Brad's system and the high level of competition. During the exhibition games and the first three home games, Darren never looked comfortable on the court. He forced a few shots and made several bad passes. He should get some minutes next week against Grambling, and I am hoping that he shows some improvement in his game.

Watch fisher next game when he gets the ball on a break or off a rebound and see what he does. I think he pushes the ball very hard up the floor looking for the first pass to move the ball. The only thing I would like Fisher to do more is shoot the mid range jumper more off the break. So yes I think Fisher is a great point guard.I think slu has a great team and I think when all the players see that bad shots out of the offense and one on one play don't work in this system. I believe Brad has said that many times. Now Bryant shooting some early shots in the offense is okay he needs to get shots to get his game back. Anthony has to tone it down some on offense his defense so far this year has improved from last so he is making great strides and is a good player, we need him to play good for the team to be good. I think our guard play is gonna be great all year. Now our bigs? All I can say is Sloan is solid and a warrior he needs to hit his free throws and some more of those thunderous dunks would be great. The rest of the bigs seem to all still be trying to find their complete games when they all start giving quality minutes this team is gonna be tough to beat. All the players need to get the we can't be beat mentality, we won't lose and Im gonna be in my guys shorts every play. On the offensive side consentration is the key find the best shot solid screens and good cuts to set yourself up for back cuts and spacing to make a good move to the basket and at least going to the line. We have athletic players and this tean is leaps and bounds ahead of last years team at this time. Kids are working hard and making progress. I can't wait for this team to start rolling. It's gonna be a fun season.

josh is a good point guard imo. the only point guards from the last 25 years i would take above the current version of josh fisher is h waldman and david burns. of course had perry been allowed to man the point his entire career, i feel he would have ended up being the best point guard in billiken history.

what h and burns have that josh doesnt (at least at this point) is the knack of making a play that not only turns the game around but simply wows not only the crowd but the opponent. it is a shame burns never got to play with a college team.

You know, I didn't even think about that. I wish I had gotten to see Darren play against Zona, but hopefully he'll be in on saturday. I think his athletism is needed, but he needs to understand the system. If we can get JJ and Clarke to fit into the rotation for quality minutes, along with Bryant, I really think this team could do something this year. I think that would really make for a good combination of athletic scorers and hardnosed defensive role players. But until then, we will be struggling for W's IMO.

Hunt and clarke will get minutes but not alot. The positions that we need more production from are all the big man role players. Izik,JJ,TF, and the other guy sitting out that can't play for 8 more games. All of our guards are gonna be fine if they run the system and play defense every night not every other night. I mean Fisher does't ever take a break he has to guard the best player on the other team everytime. Last week that player happened to be 6'6". Sure would be nice to be able to switch off that guy for a while so he can concentrate on his offense. I mean if Fisher just decides he is tired and doesn't play D I'm sure you guys aren't gonna give him the same slack or maybe you will if he happens to score 24 points. And for the people that keep saying Fisher isn't a true point I believe he has 20 assists and 8 turnovers, compared to Anthony who is tied at 11-11 on his assist to turnovers.I would also wonder how many more assists Fisher would have if we were hitting our wide open shots and converting all our lay ups. Im pretty sure Fishers ratio would even be better. And if you counted last year he would probably be 20 to 30 assists closer to the record.