Bryce - Big Men Question

Box and Won

I think that Bryce has progressed well since last year, but still has a lot of developing to do. He is succeptible to getting beat by smaller, quicker players, which is just about everyone.

Is it reasonable to expect Bryce to improve his quickness, footwork and speed, or is that something that's very difficult for 7+ footers to do?

He is always going to have trouble with the smaller quicker guys, improving his footwork and positioning will help, but he will never be great at it. On the other end though, he should develop enough offensive skills to really take advantage of that guy. I haven't seen it, but I would hope they are working on a short jump hook with him. With his height, it would be almost unstoppable if he can get position and receive the ball far enough down low.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

My question would be whether he can develop into enough of an offensive threat to punish teams who guard him with a smaller player. Otherwise, we will need to remove Bryce in games where the matchups do not favor him. Luckily, we don't have to face this issue until spring 2007. I'm optimistic his offense will significantly improve by senior year.

I have been away from St. L. since Bryce's redshirt year. I watched him regularly in pick up games at the rec center and at West Pine. Having been away from St. L. since then, when I got to see him at the Oakland where he played a good bit with Ian in foul trouble, believe me he has improved noticeably. He was doing some things he was incapable of doing a year or two ago. At Oakland he blocked a shot, pulled down the rebound and turned and made a good outlet pass. He scored on a put back over a 6'9" kid as well. He is playing with more confidence. His minutes overall were quality minutes.

Bryce is not Ian, but he did not hurt us. At this stage in his career this is what we are asking him to do and what he is capable of doing. In a year or two he will be better (and bigger). How much better? Time will tell. He is a quality kid who is motivated so that is in his favor. nAlso, know that he had mono his second year and that set him back.