courtside from Oakland

bart

A small but very vocal Billiken contingent in Rochester, MI. tonight. A great win but the level of officiating in college basketball is hitting a pathetic low.There were three or four calls that were so unbelivably bad the Oakland fans around us were laughing out loud. It really detracts from the game.

Thoughts on tonights - the bench contributed quality minutes - Vashun, Danny Brown, Bryce all played for long stretches and played well. Be patient, and don't give up on Bryce he is improving and remember big men - he is now 7'2" no matter what they list him as - take a while to develop. AD hit some big shots, JJ had a good first half and a poor second half. Lisch was so-so but the kid works so hard you gotta love him even when he doesn't have one of his best games. TL took over down the stretch with some big rebounds and free throws. Missing 9 free throws (several the front end of 1 and 1's ) in the last six minutes wasn't pretty. Ian took what they gave him and he sees the court so well. He was playing against a guy who had to weigh 325 or more and had surprisingly good hands.

Brad has plenty of work to do with this team. Some of our guards don't understand proper spacing on the floor. On several occassions our guards ran their defenders into Ian as he received the ball so he was triple teamed rather than double teamed.He only put up three shots I think. I can sure see why Brad wants a good three point shooter. This team has some potential and is improving, but would be so, so much better with a real power forward. Here's hoping the officiating at ole' Miss is better than in Oakland (it could not be any worse)and we can win another on the road.

Thanks for the report. I know Ramsey is a homer but he and Earl Austin Jr were whipping out their thesaurus's to come up with adjectives to describe the poor officiating. Ramsey eventually called them a pack of thieves or words that effect. I've never heard him complain about refs to that degree.

I emailed Ramsey the other day after the game. I think he and Earl are good but I can not handle when SLU starts doing badly and he makes the little "mmm mmm mm" noise. I absolutely hate it when he does that. I get frustrated enough when SLU is doing poorly but when he makes that little "mmm mmm mm" noise it just drives me crazy. So I felt compelled to email him. I am usually not that person but I was driven to do it. Anyone else with me on this one or am I nuerotic?