Soccer Sunday

Lobo

Way to go SLU. Now I have to try to make it down for the game in Maryland.

Creighton (Warming) beat Virginia 3-1. The ACC and the Big East may have gotten 6 bids a piece but they have not done well in the tournament. So much for all their great seeds and home games.

Michigan beat ND on penalty kicks 1-1 (4-3 PK).

Game report: SLU came out looking like a team that was going to score six goals by halftime. Ibsevic scored on a beautiful 15 second burst of tight passing in teh eighteen yard box ending with Grazier feeding Ibisevic. Will John had a couple great opportunities to score as well as Matteson. We seriously should have had three goals at halftime. Wash's first goal was absolutley amazing. Ball got played across the eighteen to this guy streaking into the left side of the box and he hammered a one timer with the outside of his left foot and curled it low and hard into the right post. No way Hutton could have saved it. One of the best goals I've ever seen.

SLU scored again in the first half by a tremendous individual effort by Cooper McKee, who to me was the man of the match for SLU. He busted hit his way through two defenders on the left side goal line and fired a shot (cross?) that deflected into the net.

Second half was a tale of two different halves for SLU. We looked pathetic....like a team composed of freshman and sophmore. I credit Wash with excellent passing and switching the ball around that kept creating numerous opportunities for them. SLU was on their heels for 75% of the half. SLU could not connect three passes to get out of the defensive third. Wash tied it up and the momentum just kept pushing them toward scoring another goal. SLU was losing every clearance they made, would pass to the opponents, and just didn't look like the team from the first half. Luckily SLU made out of the half and into OT where SLU has pulled it out time and time again. The goal came within a minute of a header by Guffey that hit the cross bar, was shot back by Will John, and smothered by the keeper. I'm not sure what happened on teh game winner, but Wash's defense miscleared the ball, it bounced right to Vedad and he stormed into the eighteen and buried the ball in to the right post.

Observations:

SLU's forwards do not make lateral runs across teh back line into space along the line to receive a pass. I can't tell you how many opportunities they had to do that and jsut didn't. It seems like such an easy play for them to make.

The left back for Wash was a stud. Period. He shut down whoever took him on and played teh ball very well. It looked like he had some trouble with his emotions but a damn good player.

I mentioned it before but Wash did a textbook job of switching the ball and therefore the attack. They played more SLUball than SLU did. It is really hard to defend a team that changes teh point of attack because a defense can get caught watching the ball, which can lead to a man being unmarked.

We still do not use John D enough.

You know what...I jsut figured out why we were getting slaughtered in the second half. Wileman and Grazier weren't in there. I know Wileman wasn't there for sure.

Finally, (too damn long of a post) Maryland will be tough.....like a JV team taking on the varsity. They are an excellent team...veteran team....and team destined to play UCLA again in the final. Tough test for our guys. Can we win it....yes....but it will the hardest game yet this season.

SLUBALLS ... good post ... I looked for you but there were about 3 guys in yellow windbreakers ... and I didn't want to walk up to someone and ask if they were SLUBALLS ...so sorry we didn't connect up.

I don't have a lot to add to your post ... you said it well. A few other items

Was that our 2nd half strategy to drop back and try to defend for an entire half ... I hope not. It appeared we didn't even try to string together passes. We looked like a 13 year old team ... just boot it out of trouble.

Grazier played the 1st 20 minutes of the 2nd half. He left when Will and Wickart came on.

This game could have easily had 5 or 6 goals a side. If you are not a soccer fan ... you should have been at this game. Each team hit the post once and had a ball cleared off the line.

VEDAD ... PLEASE LOOK UP OCCASIONALLY. You have tons of talent ... just pick your spots better. Hope you learned with the game winner ... if you don't give up ... you will force errors and create opportunity.

Kudos to Cooper ... again the most hustle on the team.

Martin was fantastic ...

Will played one of his better games of late ... he is better up front where he seems to have more space.

Has Peplinski fallen from grace ...

Mo Benne ... forcing himself into the line up ... this is great experience for him ... he will be a defensive leader next year.

Alex Matteson and Casey Speiss ... too many turnovers today.

When you have an open net ... the shot must find the back of the net. Besides hitting the post and have another one cleared off the line ... Vedad and Will both missed on clear 1 on 1 breakaways with the keeper ... Alex also missed an 18 yarder with an open net.

If we are able to create the opportunities we did today and then capitalize on them we have a very good chance against Maryland.

NCAA tourney selection committee ... YOU ARE COMPLETE IDIOTS. Any one know of an email address for the head or a member of the committee.

It is sad ... we consistently lead the NCAA in attendance ... have consensus top 4 team and get the 7th seed. You have to beat everyone to win it all ... but we should be at home for the elite 8 game.

Lets hope we continue our very good play on the road this year ... Before the tourney our best games have been away from the Robert R Hermann pitch.

GO BILLS ... WE ARE BEHIND YOU 120% ... I think even Billiken Rich is in his closet right now cheering you on.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

What a great game. I really don't have anything additional to say but just congratulations to a great young team...they are maturing before our eyes. They beat a very tough Washington team, even though they missed several 1st half opportunities and came out flat in the second half...they still perserved to win yet again in OT. Vedad is improving with each game, Mo Benne is a stud and heir apparant for Gannon, I could go on and on but most of what needed to be said about the game was said by our informed posters.

Bills Good Luck against a tough Maryland squad!!!

GS

P.S. How pathetic is the tourney committee who gave the ACC 3 #1 seeds look now!