Notable Scores

TheA_Bomb

DePaul falls to Indiana St. at Home 78-66

Southern Miss. loses to Murray State Racers 94-54

Indiana over Xavier 80-77

UofL beat by Iowa 70-69 in OT

SPUMAC struggling with Mighty Oakland of Mid-Con. Conferece 55-55 14 min left

WVU 53 losing to NoEastern 57 w/ 13:53 min left at home

Golden Grizzlies are tough they have been DI since 1998. Actually I looked it up they were 17-11 last year and have already played Cincy, X and Michigan prior to this game. What was SPUMAC thinking opening on the road? Bad scheduling I really hope they lose that will be so great. It will be like Christmas came early.

actually, DuhPaul won - Sportsline screwed up (again). Also, the game is at Michigan State as part of the Spartan Classic (all 4 1979 final 4 teams were in it). DuhPaul plays MSU tomorrow.

Oakland is a tough team (have the nation's leading returning scorer), they've play 5 games already and their little gym is a pit for opposting teams to play. They knocked off Michigan there last year. This game was scheduled so Paulding and Johnson could play "at home." Why Mizzou hasn't played yet is beyond me.

CBS needs to fire their score guy. I understand the give the seniors a game in their hometown thing but it doesn't have to be the first game of the year. I don't think it is a bad thing to start the season late maybe it would be good for SLU to do that in the future and have more time for practice.

Oakland did not beat Michigan at home last year. The best team they beat non-conf. at home was Air Force.

but Mizzou pulled out a character-building road win. Jimmy McKinney, who is not a natural point guard, nevertheless was extremely good on the offensive with 20 points. Roy's favorite target, Josh Kroenke, added 18 points.

Mizzou's only weakness is poor ballhandling. They looked bad against the press, but it's still early. Otherwise, I just don't see this team having any other weakness. Gardner gives them that key shutdown perimeter guy to match up with Paulding. As for Kleiza, you're looking at a Freshman All-American.

They had over 20 Turn Overs. Yes it is early but ball handling is not something you want your weakness to be especially when it comes tourney time where teams with superior guard play generally flourish.

besides the final score was the advertising for their merchandise. They have a store and a website and the selection and variety is imppressive.They are marketing well and I'm seeing more and more Missouri gear being worn in St. Louis. I think a lot of it is the football success but it's still fans advertising.

in the second half. But I still like their interior defense with AJ, Bryant, and Kleiza. While I'll admit that McKinney is only average defensively, I really like the aggressiveness shown by their freshman, Gardner.

A-Bomb, I happen to agree with you. Mizzou will be eaten up by the Illini, KU, and OU, unless they solve their backcourt problems.

#10 North Carolina sqeaked a win out at Cleveland State tonight

#2 Duke struggled with Detroit in their opener at home

#1 UConn struggled with Yale in their opener at home

#3 Michigan St squeaked out a win over Bucknell at home

SLU squeaked out a win over Eastern Kentucky at home

I agree it's bad scheduling. Oakland had 5 games under their belts and Mizzou's last exhibition was even 11 days ago. The reason for the late start is Mizzou was expecting to play in the Guardians Classic, or the Coaches vs Cancer Classic. The courts overturned it though, so we couldn't play.

This is the Tigers first opponent; it comes against a good team on their court. The Tigers elected not to play five exhibition games to open the season.

The Tigers character-building win will undoubtedly pay dividends come March and April. After numerous teams faltered this week in early season road games the Tigers found a way to win. If everyone stays healthy this team could be scary good in a few months when everyone is playing. For their efforts the Tigers will likely earn a number 2 or 3 ranking in next weeks polls.

They won. Be thankful, very thankful. Don't make excuses, it will give your critics more ammunition should they falter...

P.S. May I respectfully suggest your defense would be better placed in a forum more amenable to your mission.

WV has a 6-3 gaurd who is their leads their team in scoring, JF with his reach and tenacious defense ought to be able to shut him down. They appear to shoot well from 3 point range as well. Although we have yet to play a team as good as WV, it appears they have yet to play a defensive team as good as our team.......something has got to give, hope it is the mountaineers.

aj said, "missouri's only weakness is ballhandling."

i'd say giving up nearly 90 points to anyone in a college basketball game is a weakness. i dont care how good a returning scorer might be, i doubt that oakland community college or whoever the hell they played is going final four this year. to allow that much offense tells much about the tigers defensive efforts or lack thereof.

According to Brad - the person who is responsible for the RPI told him and other coaches that the way the system is set up if you play a high RPI team like EKU what their record is is not all that important what is more important is that you beat the team. You can not control what those teams do and every team in college is going to have 3-4 buy games with teams like that - so it all evens out. We beat them so that is all that matters as far as our RPI goes. Where you get hurt is when a team with a lower RPI than you which you beat loses to a higher RPI team then both the loser and you are impacted negatively.

It was a strong team to play at their place right out of the gate. I'm sure their results will look better when they get to their NC A&T, Sacramento State and Eastern Kentucky at home kind of fodder. Although I looked at their schedule and they've got Indiana, Syracuse, Illinois, Gonzaga, Iowa and Memphis in addition to Kansas twice and Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in conference. That's a brutal schedule.