Bills Soccer Wins!

Outstanding game by the Bills. The score doesn't tell the story on this one ... I haven't seen the stats but it was about 17 shots to 4 or 5. The bills must have had possession 85% of the game. Binghampton packed 9-10 players within the final 35-40 yards. It was very clear they were hoping for 1 goal on a counter attack or were perfectly content to get to penalty kicks. Stat wise they had the #1 defense and keeper in the country.

Vedad scored the winner about halfway through the first overtime, on a bullet. I don't know how far out as I was on the other end.

Vedad played the best I have seen him play ...he still tries to take on too many defenders 1-1 but not as often. It looks like he has learned that movement without the ball will get him more opportunities also.

As a team their tight interior passing was fantastic ... a lot of quick give and goes many times in very cramped spaces.

John D also played very well ... but ironically was not as accurate on set plays as he has been in the past.

Cooper McKee ... the little engine that could ... I love this guy, he wins every close ball.

The entire defense was solid ... giving up very few chances and distributing well also. Kevin held the ball to long and got a few passes deflected ... but he seems to have gotten his accuracy back on the long balls.

Also a very well officiated game. Binghampton got 2 yellows and could have, probably should have gotten at least 1 more on tackles from behind ... but overall he kept the game clean and made the proper calls.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Congrats to our soccer Bills! Let's hope we can take care of Washington on Sunday and then it's off to the Elite 8. Maybe we can venge our loss to Maryland last year? Or perhaps Akron can upset them and we'll get another game at Herman Stadium? Of course, none of this will matter if we can't get past Washington. LET'S GO BILLS!!!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

"We wanted to get the game to penalty kicks if we could but they finally made the play to beat us."

This is a direct qoute from the Binghamton coach last night. Packing 10 people into the defensive quarter and playing for a tie is a complete disgrace. I didnt see the game but it reminds me alot of what Kentucky did to us a couple of years ago in the tournament. There is no other sport where you can get away with crap like this.

This has been a problem for YEARS. SLU has ONE entrance to get into their soccer games, and very few people(usually two) taking tickets. The line might as well have been to Del Taco. It is disgraceful! The athletic Dept does NOT get it....going on for YEARS!!!!!!

The rule is that SLU must play their next round game by the end of Sunday. that doesn't mean they have to play ON Sunday. Once again SLU will go up against the Rams Sunday afternoon, as most years. This game easily could be played Sat night.

The game was fantastic for SLU, Happy T-Day to everyone, can post more later....but below, yes it is not respectful to pack it in...but everyone knew it coming in. The Scot had SIXTEEN, WOW, SIXTEEN shutouts this year. But Prnceton hoop s comes to mind. Shoot, Syracuse won the national title with their gimmick 2-3 match-up zone.

but there were still some available seats. Definitely not a sellout, but a good crowd.

It was my first soccer game in person. Wished I had a program, but upon looking at the website, the one player who stood out to me was not Cooper McKie, but John DiRaimondo. That guy was absolutely a whiz. Very quick and extremely skilled. I thought the Billikens played exceptional, but I was worried they would lose in penalty kicks. That Binghampton goalie was something else. Did anybody remember that three touch combination the Binghampton's penalty box where their goalie made an absolutely brilliant save. I believe it was 10 or so minutes in the second half. The skill level differential was so drastic between the two teams. I might have to go to their Washington match.

I didn't like the tactic of playing for a tie either ... but as a coach you do what it takes to win with the talent you have.

No disrepect ... but is it all that different than SLU basketball the last few years ... slow it down ... keep the game close and hope to win at the end. How do you think they will play Arizona this year? My only problem is that I hate penalty kicks ... they ought to play until someone wins ... however long. But that is not the Binghamton coaches fault ... he is just trying to win.

Agreed their keeper was fantastic ... but one got cleared off the line by a defender ... I didn't see any saves though that made me go WOW ... did I really see that. It is hard to know if he is that good or not ... most teams won't generate the type of offense we do ... and when you play the strategy they play ... chances against him are probably limited. They played a pretty weak schedule ... so it is hard to tell.

I know if it went to penalty kicks ... I'll keep Martin.

I thought the crowd seemed larger than 2500. I also waited in line from 200 yards around the corner on Grand. If you park west ... you can get in on the west side of the stadium usually ... I didn't notice if that was open last night.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone ...

Who is going on Sunday... I'll probably be alone if anyone wants to hook up.

I was there and have a few responses on some of the comments that have already been posted here, so I decided to put them in one thread.

While the official attendance given was around 2500, I thought that was way off. My guess was around 4000-4500, but it wouldn't have surprised me one bit if it was 5000. I was stunned to see on the scoresheet that only 2500 were listed.

As far as parking and entrances are concerned, traffic was stop-and-go heading into the Olive-Compton Garage basically from the garage to Grand Ave. Since most people parked in that garage or on the street, most people did use the same entrance which was near that garage. As far as I know, people could have parked in the Laclede Garage or on the street around there, and they would have been able to enter the stadium at the main entrance. I personally didn't have any trouble with the entrances, except waiting to get in the garage, but then I didn't have to pay to get in either.

When I read this morning that the BU coach said they were trying to take it to a shootout, I didn't like that. While I understand that you should do what needs to be done in order to win, I thought it was a bush league strategy. But then I think that a game shouldn't be decided on penalty kicks, it should be decided on the field in actual play.

I watched the game from the press box, and everyone thought Matteson had scored for SLU in the second half. I actually wrote "SLU goal" in my notebook, then had to change it to reflect that we hadn't scored.

One little interesting tidbit, one of the photographers was showing me some of his pictures from the first half, and one was a very good picture of DiRaimondo's free kick late in the first half that just went over the goal. In the picture you could see that the keeper got a finger on it, which would have given SLU a corner kick instead of a goal kick for BU.

Finally, to those complaining that SLU picked a bad time for the next game since the Rams are also playing, let me say that you are dead wrong if you are blaming SLU for it. SLU thought that the game would be Saturday night and as I understand it had planned for that, but then to their surprise the NCAA told them to schedule the game for Sunday at 1 pm. If you look at the schedule for the third round, all games are being played on Sunday afternoon.

All in all, great game by the Bills. I'm excited to see them play again on Sunday.

I usually sit at the end the Bills attack and move each half ... I also thought the keeper touched that free kick ... but it was very close ... so I don't have a problem with the missed call. I have had a lot of problems with calls this year that were very obvious. I can't even remember the game Louisville I think ... there was a hand ball in the box that wasn't called ... At a subsequent game I spoke with a linesman who clearly did not interpret inadverdant correctly. On this hand ball the player was trying to control the ball and it bounced up and hit his hand wich was at his side and then settled nicely so he could clear it. The linesman told me if it was deemed unintentional by the ref or the linesman it shouldn't be called. Fact of the matter is ... intent is irrelevant ... the only hand ball that should not be called is one that is played directly from an opposing player into a players hands ... and the player that committed the infraction did not move his hand in at all ... even on this play if his hands are away from his body it is usually called. The linesman I was talking to is wrong ... and it is sad that they don't understand the rules.

I also often have a problem with thier inability to keep up with play. The ref has to play the entire field ... and a quick counterattack with a long pass can easily leave him behind ... but the linesman needs to be able to keep up ...and the calls down there need to made by him. Frequently it appears they do not want to raise their flag. They should ... it is then at the referee's discretion wether to go with the linesman's call or not.

Enough about ref's. Overall I thought this was a very well officiated game and the best that I have seen this seasoon.

We are really playing well right now ... I would like to see Maryland before we get to them ... but do not know if any games on televised at all. Anyone know?

Ok first off, who the hell was counting the fans at the game? 2500? Give me a break....the stands were full and their gobs of people standing on teh north end of the field. I would be surprised if the actual number was less than 3500. Second, the first half was extreme slusoccer. We played that ball in the back a ton, looking for a breakdown in Bings's defense. I haven't seen a college team play a flat back four and they played it very well. The second half just felt like we were going to open the flood gates but nobody would shoot when they had the opportunity. There was so much bitching in the stands about Vedad especially when he made a late pass to a streaking Matteson, who could have scored easily. However, Vedad came through as usual and it was a beaut. I was in a perfect position to see it. It was his same damn gun-it-to-the-right-and-fire move but it worked. Third, where the hell was Will John? I swear he disappeared when he was on the field. His effort was pathetic. He's too soft, period. I love the skills but man he's got to mix it up. Just watch him on any 50/50 ball. I like Matteson upfront although I was surprised Peplinski didn't get in. Hopson provided a nice spark in the second half too. Fourth, why did Grazier leave in the second half? Fifth, Wileman and McKee are f#$kin workhorses. I love seeing those guys battling for the ball and winning it. They are a great tandem in the middle. Sixth, what is wrong with Wickart's serves? They are nothing like they were last year and he puts more long balls at the feet of the opponent than his teammates. Seventh, why does it seem as if the team refuses to use John D? He is always hugging the line and yet we still refuse to get the ball over to him. The kid is brilliant and that little step-turn-pull over he did on teh 50/50 ball in the second half was awesome. Finally, SLU will not use guys making runs down teh outside. There were massive gaps between teh left fullback and our right midfielder in the second half and we faile dto exploit it enough. We kept funnelling the ball through the top of the eighteen. I hope know one takes this message as a *****. SLU played great but they could be dynamite if some things were tweaked. Someone mentioned being at the game on Sunday. IU should be there. I ususally sit on the east side stands, in the middle but a little biased to the north end of the field.

SLUBalls ... we have a lot of the same thoughts. I'll be there alone on sunday ... if you want some extra company let me know.

Vedad is getting better ... but still needs to get rid of the ball sooner when he has nothing. He is doing much better keeping his temper in check though. I think we can't forget though that he is a freshman and will continue to improve. In HS he was his teams only real threat and they probably wanted him to force the attack at all times.

I have said the same about Cooper for a couple of games now also about Will ... if they could only get him the ball in open spaces he would be dynamite ... that just is not realistic ... I think he has very good vision ... his passes many times are just too soft and don't make it the intended target.

Grazier leaving ... no answer ... I was shocked ... I'm wondering if he wasn't hurt ... or maybe he wanted him for overtime ... and wanted to give him a rest. I'm not sure how penalty kicks work ... do you have to be on the field at the close of the game to be eligable to shoot?

Not using John D on the wing has been a topic before ... I don't get it.

I thought Kevin made an improvement on his long balls over games of late ... It just takes him so long to get the ball off it frequently gets deflected.

Overall though I thought we were fantastic ... interior give and goes were as good or better than they have been all year.

Yea, I'll probably get there early to watch the warmup...around 12:30 or so. Let me know where you'll be and I'll meet up. Looks like it's going to be a nice day for a game....low 50's and sunny. you know anything about washington....all I've read is that they will be missing one of their U-20 NAT players.

No I really don't know much. I looked on their website, they played a fairly difficult schedule ... I noticed they beat Michigan and Marquette in a tourney in Wisc early in the year. Lost to UCLA 1-0 twice, Tied and lost to Cal. beat Portland in the reg. season and beat Kentucky ...

I think that at home ... the way we are playing we should come away with a win.

I'll put something on here Sunday morning ... as to where we can meet and what I'll be wearing.

SLUBALLS ... I am also going to get there a little early around 12:30 - 12:45 I'll go over to the east stands slightly north of midfield. I'll be wearing jeans, a dark blue sweat jacket and a blue hat with SLU on it ... I am 5'11" and about 235. Hope to see you there ... leave a post on how I will identify you.

Any other fans from the board come on over ...