thread

courtside

Why make this an issue and can't we just talk basketball? Let's leave the innuendo off this board.

But if you think it's not an issue, why don't you ask the recruit's parents if they're OK with it. If you get their permission, then I'm all for you posting that information again.

I wouldn't have deleted the thread. But I have no objection to it being deleted. thicks is a more strict moderator than I am, and that is good to have because I admit that I am too lenient.

We barely delete any posts on this board. Deleting a debatable one every once and a while is fine by me.

Steve

"I am not exactly sure what was potentially objectionable, but I am glad the moderators chose to excercise their judement."

Seems to be a LOT of people not exactly sure what was potentially objectionable. All the more reason to be bamboozled.

AJ, it is PUBLIC knowledge(media written articles that have even included his GPA) regarding the academic struggles of Jarod Leonard at DeSmet High school. Over 1000 students know it. Students get RANKED in numerical order. I didn't even post anyone's GPA, or rank etc...the words used were struggling academically, which would be understated and accurate. Of all the posters on this board, I am pretty near the least controversial. I am willing to bet you have never been to nor played on "Senior Night" at DeSmet basketball. They introduce the seniors and their parents, and gasp...announce your grades to the entire crowd, before tip....so if you are easily embarrassed, or don't want your grades known....attend another school. Perhaps DeSmet isn't the school for you.

Again, choose your words more carefully. 1) Innuendo? No one is insinuating anything. No one is interpreting anything. He is struggling in school period. It is fact, without malice.

You are the one who made this an issue crying for censor. I simply noticed the removal of a post I made. Seems not many people had a problem with it or they would have posted about it. And the few that did, seemed pretty lost too.

Discussing the injury and eligibilty issues of a possible SLU recruit takes place almost daily.

This will be the ONLY polite time I will inform you not to tell me what I can and can't write. I don't need anyone's permission, let alone yours, state objective facts to interested SLU fans about a recruit.

You don't like it, tough. If you know of someone needing a babysitter I know of some fine young friends seeking extra cash.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who saw something wrong with that.

I do see that Courtside didn't address my point. Why doesn't he approach Jarod's dad next game and ask him if it's OK if he updates the Billiken fans of Jarod's struggles to stay at DeSmet.

Now if I'm alone on this and some people are struggling to see the issue here, that's cool. That's what this forum is for.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who saw something wrong

with that.

I do see that Courtside didn't address my point. Why

doesn't he approach Jarod's dad next game and ask him if

it's OK if he updates the Billiken fans of Jarod's struggles

to stay at DeSmet.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but if Jarod continues to become a national prospect, this issue will come up again. I watched Tommie Liddell's name ran through the mud from both Missouri Tigers board to prepstars.com. They were posted prep schools or juco for Tommie even before it was clear that he wasn't going to qualify. It's just the nature of the business. I hope courtside was only trying to be informative in posting the thread as opposed to being malicious. In addition I hope this lights a fire under Jarod to improve his academics. He will find most big schools moving on if he doesn't.

Struggling at DeSmet is not the same as struggling at the local public school - in this case, Parkway West is in the same neighborhood - central west county. That is not a pan of the Parkway system where a student could pursue a course of study that would prepare him for any top college. It's just that the core curriculum at DeSmet is college prep and not easy. I'm a SLUH alum, but both schools are Jesuit, and I'm making an assumption here on the curriculum. I'm happy to be set straight by a DeSmet grad if I'm wrong.

We have to be careful presenting unvalidated info in a manner that is sensitive and respectful to the individual. Sometimes, even if something is factual, saying it on a public board doesn't do anyone any good. Detailing Jarod's struggles doesn't seem to benefit him personally, or anyone on the board, even if they are totally true.

His dad did very well at SLU, and I'm hoping Jarod can make some adjustments, if needed, and do the same while attending alongside Kevin, Tommie, and Dwayne. There - a positive spin!

I did the thing that no one else did on this board... I approached Jessie Leonard at a desmet basketball game vrs parkway south(my former high school)which wasnt hard to do if you go to any desmet games. I first asked him how Jared was doing and he said he should be back by the middle of January which is good news. Then I asked him how his grades were and he said the first quarter he had a 2.5 the best hes ever done at desmet. I was surprised with all this bad talk about Jared i expected him not to tell me or atleast tell me a lower gpa...me not being the best student at my years at south i consider 2.5 at a school like desmet for some1 who known struggle at academics is pretty darn good. Anyway then I mentioned to Jessie about this board and the comments made about his struggles, and I didn't have to tell him anything because he said he already knew. He said he regularly glances at the slu board at his work and saw the topic on the board. he said he relayed the information to Jared and they were disappointed in the remarks made. He gave me permission to post what he said on this site saying he doesn't want to sign on himself and post because of his sons recruitment by the school. October 27, 2004

Two Big Ten offers for 2006 Leonard

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerry Meyer

RivalsHoops.com Recruiting Analyst

Jarod Leonard, one of the top performers at this past summer’s Nike Hoop Jamboree and the No. 105 ranked player in the class of 2006 had a breakout summer with the St. Louis Eagles AAU program. Now the 6-foot-6, 179-pound wing player from DeSmet Jesuit in Maryland, Mo., has two Big Ten offers.

“I like Miami, Florida, North Carolina State, Virginia, USC, St. Louis, Missouri, Illinois, Purdue, Iowa, and Florida State,â€said Leonard. “Coaches from North Carolina State, Purdue, Illinois, Missouri, and St. Louis have been to my school to see me play.â€

Purdue, Iowa and St. Louis have all offered scholarships to Leonard.

At this point, Leonard is only concerned about being able to contribute on the floor for his future college.

"I just want to go in and know I can contribute,†he said. “I don’t want to sit on the bench. I feel I’ve worked hard and just want to be able to play."

Rivals.com has this scouting report on Leonard based on his play at the Nike Hoop Jamboree:

Leonard is a slasher and big time play maker. Not only can he attack the rim, but he can shoot it and pass it. He consistently knocked down 18-footers and will soon have consistent three point range. If he gains weight and keeps improving his skills, the athletic Leonard could one day make a living as a shooting guard.

Leonard had a similar assessment of his game.

"I think if I get more consistent on my three-point shot and get stronger, the skies the limit,†he said.

Leonard, who has a 2.5 GPA, averaged 10 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists per game last season